Author Topic: Greeting Manners  (Read 3411 times)

Offline LauraT

• Site Member
Greeting Manners
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 02:26:35 PM »
Tia always grabs a toy when she comes to greet you - even when you get up in the morining :) .

She also howls at you if she thinks she's not getting enougth attention when you first arrive this is generally followed my lots of licks and running around the house like a mad thing. So much so i'm often worried she'll hurt herself :unsure: .

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
Greeting Manners
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 02:41:40 PM »
I feel so much better after reading this thread. I was going to ask this question soon as Daisy wants to give every visitor to our house a full body hug and wash down!  :o  We are trying the lead, treats and ignoring techniques in quick succession but our problem is that Daisy is so damn cute that everyone just wants to cuddle her back, my sister is the worst, she actually comes to my house to visit Daisy now - regardless if I'm there or not!!   :rolleyes:  
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Greeting Manners
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2004, 03:20:22 PM »

It's always a comfort to know other people have the same problems. :D I suppose as Cockers tend to be such hapy, enthusiastic, people-orientated dogs this is likely to happen. Also their managable size probably means we maybe don't discourage it from an early enough age in the way you have to with larger breed dogs.

I actually had a bit of success with Misty when we went to a friend's house yesterday. I phoned ahead and asked if everyone there could just ignore her if she went hyper and only stroke her once she was seated and behaving. Amazingly everyone followed the instructions - although they all had one eye on the football on TV, so that helped. :D She was still excitable but not to the extent she often is - but there were no kids there and that is definitely when she's at her worst.

It does seem to be a case of training the people as well as the dogs, if you can get the people to listen then it seems half the battle is won. Whether I can get all my nephews and neices to ignore Misty until she's calm is another matter entirely though - selective deafness isn't just a cocker trait. :D      

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Greeting Manners
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2004, 05:19:20 PM »
Billy sit's and waits for people to greet him but his bum is wagging madly the whole time :D

Abby is like a think posessed and has been known to launch herself of furniture into peoples arms Oh and we tried the turning your back on her and she ended up on my BIL shoulders like a fur wrap :D She will not be ignored by anyone we also have the problem that if I take rubbish to the bin or pop across to a neighbour for no longer than 2 minutes she still greets you like a long lost pal :rolleyes:

Michelle

Sue H

Greeting Manners
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2004, 11:12:03 PM »
Bramble is used to our (FOUR) children and their closest friends, but last Saturd\y morning, he sat in his kitchen chair and watched all the 'hang-overs' come in for the pints of cold water and then bacon sarnies, and barked at one of James's friends that hasn't been here for a couple of weeks ...

Mind you, Bramble barks at anything and everything - we let him out to do a wee and he goes out barking ..,. just as well we have understanding neighbours .. (or are they just deaf ??!!)

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Greeting Manners
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2004, 07:23:10 AM »
lets face it, they're  such happy little dogs that every minute is like the 1st day of their life! :D  
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Greeting Manners
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2005, 10:44:29 PM »
Ollie does this, and it can be so embarassing. Some of our relatives have got very cross about it and shouted at him and shoved him off them roughly, which then creates tension. We have tried crating him, putting him on a lead, shutting him behind the stairgate until he calms down...but the problem is, whatever we do, once he is "set free" again, even if people have been here for an hour, he is just as loopy. He thinks nothing of leaping on top of someone and climbing onto the back of the sofa behind them, sitting on their head, licking them to death....
I don't know what the solution is really but it's frustrating because some people won't come to the house now because they can't cope with his manic behaviour.
In a way I am glad I've read this thread, it's made me feel we haven't done something wrong!

Sue H

Greeting Manners
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2005, 07:36:52 PM »
It can be trying ....

My first dog was a Golden Lab and she was a complete saint .. I did spend a lot of time training her (without help from as then unborn children!!) but nonetheless, she was ace - after I had shown her the house rules, she didn't get on the furniture or beds; never jumped up; only barked to order; one cocked eyebrow from yours truly and she would away to the kitchen to go on her own bed ....  aaaah, those days are long gone ...!!

I employed the same training methods with my first Cocker, Barley, and she is pretty good really ..
I mean, I WANT her to get up on my knee every night after tea;  her place IS on our bed during the day ...... She has every RIGHT to snooze away with me at the end of the day when I am reading a library book ...

They are small(ish) but they have such beggar personalities ... no-one coined it better when they called them 'Merry Cockers' - they do get smoother with age, but they are only young once ...... (am I sounding like an indulgent dog-owner??) perish the thought - I hate it when they jump up, but it is just part of their character (they simply don't get petted like a Lab unless they bounce!!).

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Greeting Manners
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2005, 07:44:41 PM »
It does seem to be a case of training the people as well as the dogs, if you can get the people to listen then it seems half the battle is won

Thats soooo true! I have problems with Oscar when we're out and about. He launches himself at anyone he sees. Today a lady said 'ooo can I pat your dog' so I asked him to sit and was just battling to get him to be calm before letting her pat him to which she replied "oh let go of him I know all about dogs and I don't mind if he jumps up at me".................... :blink:  <_<  
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Greeting Manners
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2005, 01:41:44 AM »
 :luv:  B) 
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Allison

• Site Member
    • http://
Greeting Manners
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2005, 11:52:32 AM »
I was only saying on New Years Day that Sally is ok apart from the greetings, Neils dad arrived to Sally nearly ruining his manhood for life :o  She will always try to find a toy or a ball to greet you with, if she cant find anything a sock off the radiator will do.  All she wants to do is just lick your face then she takes off to another room and settles.  Cockers are loveable characters and after reading this thread it seems like the majority of us who do try our best to train our four legged friends, dont have much success in this field ;)  
Allison, Neil & Sally.xxxxxxxxxx

Sue H

Greeting Manners
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2005, 10:59:05 PM »
Dear Allison,

Your post nearly did me in -

Speaking of Fathers - when mine first came to visit after I had got Barley, I did mention (appertaining to his habit of wandering out of the bathroom like Julius Caesar; towel casually wrapped around loins) that she was a reasonalbly small dog, and, as such, may be wont to jumping up and grabbing (hands and any other dangly bits  etc) and I wouldn't want him to be  inconvenienced (or worse) by her gratitude ....

He gulped a bit, but then quickly revived (as Fathers do) and said 'Well, absolutlely - I wouldn't want to choke to poor little thing !!'  

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Greeting Manners
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2005, 08:29:05 PM »
Sue --- that's ace! :P  :P  :P

Offline alan&ness

• Site Member
    • http://
Greeting Manners
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2005, 08:35:10 PM »
:D Monty is all thats mentioned, when i come home from work he goes nuts, i feel like ive just been raped, bullied, and calmed all in one ,wow... :D  :D  
ALAN NESS&MONTY

Offline PollyKay

• Site Member
Greeting Manners
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2005, 09:26:31 PM »
Sue H
Great story, I laughed more than the OH  :D  :D  :D and he's in the other room watching Last of the Summer Wine dvds. (I know - sad isn't it) ;)  
Polly (& Sidney the Cavalier)[/size]