Author Topic: Occupying Puppies  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Occupying Puppies
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 10:48:30 AM »
Jilly

I now EXACTLY how you feel!!!! I spent most of yesterday afternoon sat on the conservatory doorstep watching Libby and Phoebe. Phoebe so she didn't get too boisterous and Libby so she didn't eat anything.

Even though I have done this before it still seems like hard work (it is!!!). It sounds like you're doing fine. We are trying to leave Libby on her own abit too but she can scream (literaly) for England. Even when I'm in the kitchen and she's in her puppy pen 2 yards away she wants to be with me.

Hubby works at home so she has someone there but she still needs to learn to be on her own a bit. We are doing it for half and hour here and there, and the time we have with Phoebe for walks, grooming and playing without the little monster :D

I'm sure she'll get there.

She already knows how to sit on command (even though the memory fails her sometimes and to mainly stay on her bed when we feed her).

We've got a big garden and with the weather so nice its great to get out with her and get her used to things before she can go for a real walk. We are taking her out in a rucksack but shes a fidget bum! She has her 2nd injection tomorrow so it won't be long.

We have never left Phoebe in the garden on her own so we will do the same with Libby and when both of them are out there together. I some ways Phoebe keeps Libby entertained but I still want her to be independant.

Keep asking the questions and we have all been there!

Anita

Offline Em - Oscar's mum

• Site Member
    • http://
Occupying Puppies
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 10:55:18 AM »
It is so nice to know that other people are experiencing the same problems as me.   :)

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Occupying Puppies
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2005, 11:25:46 AM »
Thanks guys :D

We've just spent the last 30/40 mins in the back garden and instead of me standing up watching over her and removing everything she picks up from her mouth I got a chair out and had a bit of a sunbathe B)

It worked much better and she seemed better behaved? I didn't interfere with her, just let her get on with it and it was actually more enjoyable for me and she seemed happy too :D She didn't eat everything in sight, she was munching on the grass so I just left her to do that and then she played with her toys and rolled around on her back on the grass in the sun :)

I think the answer seems to be to chill out a bit and it seems they pick up on that vibe and chill out as well ;)

Can't wait for our first walk tomorrow :P

Offline Em - Oscar's mum

• Site Member
Occupying Puppies
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2005, 11:34:43 AM »

I think that is what I need to do aswell.  Just let him get on with it.  I will try it tonight.

Let us know how your first walk goes.   :D

Offline PennyB

Occupying Puppies
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2005, 12:02:40 PM »
I think the answer seems to be to chill out a bit and it seems they pick up on that vibe and chill out as well ;)
[snapback]131163[/snapback]

Spot on!

An extreme of how relaxed I once became with my two was when Wilf was diagnosed with an illness that meant I didn't know how much time he would have yet he was only 5-6 months old. The week before I took him up to Cambridge Vet School I'd stopped all of his training (he was at puppy classes at the time) and I remember watching him from the kitchen window tearing round the garden literally destroying it. Its wasn't a nasty bad tempered action it was a lets have fun and dig everything we can and race around. I just let him get on with it and was amazed at how relaxed I was about watching him just destroying the whole thing and I just didn't care as it just wasn't important anymore. A year on I began training him again and it hasn't done him any harm (plus he's more willing to listen now anyway).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Em - Oscar's mum

• Site Member
Occupying Puppies
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2005, 12:08:23 PM »
That certainly puts it all in perspective!

Has Wilf made a full recovery now?

Offline PennyB

Occupying Puppies
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2005, 12:32:41 PM »
That certainly puts it all in perspective!

Has Wilf made a full recovery now?
[snapback]131176[/snapback]

He's fine in himself (which you probably gathered from his antics) but still have to cross fingers a little that it doesn't come back (vet school said it was so rare that we just don't know and they don't want to say he's in the clear) and so he's got a season ticket with the vets to see him if he so much as sneezes. Saying that you sort of get relaxed about that as well as time goes on (with the odd panic along the way). My vet is good and will see me at a moments notice and will refer back to Cambridge if he suspects anything.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!