Author Topic: How Often To Bath?  (Read 3326 times)

Offline Leicester mum

• Site Member
    • http://
How Often To Bath?
« on: December 12, 2005, 06:53:24 PM »
Hi

I have a 8 month blue roan that I was giving a bath every week or every other week but a neighbour told me that was too much because the oil in the coat just gets lost (he has a german sherpard). I have tried to go over a month without bathing and I ended up having a really smelly and full of knots pup. Althougth I tried to brush him often I was never able to loose the knots, only when i finally gave him a good wash I was able to take them off.

What does everyone does?

Many thanks!!
Patricia & Leicester

Offline Black Angel's

• Site Member
  • Muffin
    • http://www.blackmajestys.com
How Often To Bath?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 07:40:47 PM »
I wash Shella (she is not show dog) every month,I read once that for cockers who are not for shows is enough to wash every month.With show dogs is different..
Black Majesty-english cocker spaniel & grand basset griffon vendeen kennel

-> www.blackmajestys.com -<

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
How Often To Bath?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 09:21:47 PM »
I would say bath our dog whenever you feel they need one :)
As long as you rinse the shampoo out thoroughly and use a conditioner then most  coat's will cope with regular washing :)
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Leicester mum

• Site Member
    • http://
How Often To Bath?
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 07:10:36 PM »
Thanks for the info. I know it sounds a silly question    :rolleyes:  but it's my first dog and I just get a bit confused sometimes  :blink:  :blink:

I would prefer to wash him everyweek so that I allways have a nice fluffy puppy but I have to watch out for his wellbeing.
Patricia & Leicester

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
How Often To Bath?
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 07:20:04 PM »
We bath weekly, and their coats are in fab condition.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline moomins

• Site Member
How Often To Bath?
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 03:51:44 PM »
As long as you rinse the shampoo out thoroughly and use a conditioner then most  coat's will cope with regular washing :)
[snapback]167040[/snapback]

May I ask what shampoo people use on their dogs?  We use one from Pets@home that is specific for white coated dogs (which my Charlie is) but we have Lilly now who is Blue roan

Also Tracey mentions conditioner?!?!

Cheers all
Adam

PS Charlie and new addition Lilly are now best of friends after just a week together. What amazing dogs Cockers really are!!!
Ill be posting pictures of Charlie hugging his baby sister as they sleep in the photos forum when I get home

edit -  :P  sorry - just found this post on shampoo

http://cockersonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=13584

Offline isla

• Site Member
How Often To Bath?
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 04:42:23 PM »
When I brought Jem home as a pup we bathed once every 4-6 weeks. Now its every week as we always have a long off the lead walk at a country park at the weekend. She is a hippo in disguise and gets filthy so its a bath a week at the mo!

I use dog shampoo and human conditioner. She gets twigs and burr like nasties stuck in her fur as she's a rummager. She's now sussed that if she puts her front paws on the path as i condition. I can get 99% of them out easily so no ouchy brushing later.  :)

Offline Dannyt

• Site Member
How Often To Bath?
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 05:20:22 PM »
I also bath weekly  (the dog that is) but always use a primrose oil conditioner afterwards ..never had an issue with coat before.

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
How Often To Bath?
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 05:47:14 PM »
As long as you rinse the shampoo out thoroughly and use a conditioner then most  coat's will cope with regular washing :)
[snapback]167040[/snapback]

May I ask what shampoo people use on their dogs?  We use one from Pets@home that is specific for white coated dogs (which my Charlie is) but we have Lilly now who is Blue roan

Also Tracey mentions conditioner?!?!

Cheers all
Adam

PS Charlie and new addition Lilly are now best of friends after just a week together. What amazing dogs Cockers really are!!!
Ill be posting pictures of Charlie hugging his baby sister as they sleep in the photos forum when I get home

edit -  :P  sorry - just found this post on shampoo

http://cockersonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=13584
[snapback]185639[/snapback]

I use baby dog shampoo and  babay dog spary as well as show silk detangling conditioning spray which is amazing stuff it really makes there coats shiney, which is quite tricky with my blue roans!!! I get all that online at HUB international :)

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
How Often To Bath?
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 05:54:04 PM »
I use that now too after Lise recommended it to me!  I only have a working cocker so he doesn't need much but it makes him smell gorgeous!

I bath bailey around once a month, or whenever he gets really muddy from a walk!
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
How Often To Bath?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 05:56:36 PM »
I use that now too after Lise recommended it to me!  I only have a working cocker so he doesn't need much but it makes him smell gorgeous!

I bath bailey around once a month, or whenever he gets really muddy from a walk!
[snapback]185704[/snapback]

I'm not called SILKstocking for nothing!!! ha ha!! I love my showsilk! Its smells fab and works tiny miracles!! :D  :D

Offline cassie

• Site Member
How Often To Bath?
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 08:46:16 PM »
We bath rhoan when she needs it lol but she goes 2 the groomers every 6 weeks or so
If chocolate was not here I wouldn't be either!

Offline Uncon

• Site Member
Re: How Often To Bath?
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 10:54:55 PM »
I too am a once a monther (well, the dog, not me). Unless something unusual happens (like the time when Harvey decided that blue roans have more fun and rolled in some coal), I generally find that the mud brushes out well and if I catch him when sleepy, he will lay for hours being brushed.

smartmove

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 11:30:09 PM »
We bath or cocker using Johnsons Baby Shampoo! Not used a conditioner and have no issues with coat quality.

Offline Sue Metcalfe

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 07:05:11 PM »
Baby shampoo (any brand) and Pantene conditioner (smooth and sleek) is what I use, as and when bathing is necessary, ie when really filthy or just plain minging :005:.  Bramble  looks fab after a bath, lovely and shiny.

Bramble had a bath last night.  Had to use lots of conditioner and a comb as she had a nice selection of mats on both sides of her body.  Took ages but better than using scissors.

Poppy (13 weeks) not keen on baths >:(.  Why do puppys get such dirty bellys that are really difficult to get clean?