Author Topic: Suggestion for the Grooming Moderators  (Read 3320 times)

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Suggestion for the Grooming Moderators
« on: September 05, 2006, 04:05:40 PM »
Would it be possible for the "Grooming Equipment" introductory post to be supplemented with more information on what you use each bit of kit for and why you would (and wouldn't) use certain items? 

If someone knowledgeable could also explain the likely stages of coat development, what to look for, what to avoid at what stages, this would be hugely helpful too.

I've got this idea because I've merrily been using the Coat King on Paddy since he was about 11 weeks old, but it's only recently that I've been seeing posts warning that it's not an automatic choice and that there are downsides to using it - e.g. Pammy has posted that you should be cautious about using it too early but I never knew this! 

Other points have been made about what each brush or comb has as its pro's and con's and it would be great if there was a summary post about all this. 

Easy for me to say! ;)

What do other grooming novices think??

Denise

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
Re: Suggestion for the Grooming Moderators
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 04:10:07 PM »
I agree, this would be hugely helpful, I have been trawling the sites recommended, but am stuck on scissors, there are sooooo many and I am sure they all feel different, so don't know which to order.  I am going to handstrip mine, so haven't bought a coat king, but nothing is budging yet, so it would be good to know from the experts, what to do when.   :D   :D

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline magicflower

• Site Member
  • Ruby-doos!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 04:23:43 PM »
That sounds like a good idea!

The whole grooming issue seems like a minefield to me. I need as much help as I can get!

I have just ordered my Spratts 76 Spaniel Comb and no doubt will be posting further questions when it arrives.

Me and the "woolly bear" will let you know how we get on!  :lol:

By the way, thanks for the advice on my previous post.

Tracey, Ruby and Boomer xx

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »
Another one in favour here.
My 14 month blue roan has been clipped twice since we had him at 10 months - but his back only the once (the 1st time we had no choice due to him being very hairy & matted :'().  The 2nd time I requested it to be left.  I've recently purchased the roseline thinning scissors & the spratts 76 comb & also managed to hand strip the fluffy centre of his back & use the spratts 76 which has made a big difference.  His feathers on the front...well...not really feathers just huge amount of fluffy fur that I can grip in my hand really look as if they need thinning but I'm unsure whether that's what the thinning scissors are for, I did manage to use them on his head & it's looking ok.  His eyelashes grow at an alarming rate (I'm only jealous) & he's starting to get a goaty - which I have some small face scissors for.
So, back to the original question, yes please. :D
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 04:48:48 PM »
It'll take a little while, but I'll try and put something together for you. Would you prefer it in list form ie:-

Coat King - used for stripping out body coat

Slicker Brush - used for ears and feathering

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 04:55:03 PM »
Don't forget Michele has an excellent picture which shows where to use the thinning scissors on the neck and underneath the tail, and also how to trim the skirt.Obviously it will depend on wether you want a pet trim or are handstripping for showing.

Offline CAG

• Site Member
  • my girls, crumpet and hannah, both little tinkers
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 05:06:49 PM »
yes coat king breaks the coat and then you will never get it to stay flat. use a metal comb with a thick rubber band woven through it it will fetch out all old coat without breaking it , naturally you have to get plenty of chalk on the head and old fashioned hand stripping. stripping knife is good for the ears.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 05:08:56 PM »
If I was doing a show trim I wouldn't put a stripping knife anywhere near the coat  :-\ Like I said there would probably need to be 2 lists, a show trim and a pet trim.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 05:14:01 PM »
I've never used a stripping knife on a cocker let alone on the ears, they are far too sensitive in my humble opinion.

This is the trouble with a list of any kind, it's horses for courses, we all have different ways of trimming.

Offline Neville

• Site Member
  • Me 13 weeks old
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 05:22:11 PM »
Oh please do the list!

I find it a minefield.  I know there are no definitive answers to what to use and when, but a guide of some sort would certainly help a novice like me.

Please do it as soon as possible, cos i need to know what (and what not!) to buy pdq.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 05:29:54 PM »

i need to know what (and what not!) to buy pdq.

Buy a working cocker - quick comb of the ears every night and hey presto, you're good to go!  ;) :005: :005:

This is a JOKE by the way, I luuuuurve all the gorge show cockers with their lovely coats  :luv:  but I'm very glad that Alfie is a low-maintenance kinda guy  :lol:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 05:42:09 PM »
I think the first thing to say here is that there is no definitive list of what you should use and how you should use the tools you may have. We all have our own preferences.

If any list/lists are produced then they would have the caveat that the list and contents do not suit all cockers or all owners. We all have different preferences for different techniques and tools and for a number of different reasons. Coat Kings and stripping knives for example tend to have their supporters and opposers.

If you want a show trim then you will need to be far more aware of what you are doing, not just for now but for the long term. That's not to say you don't need that same consideration if doing a pet trim. Just because you have a pet doesn't mean you want any different a finish on your Cocker.

Then there are all the different types of coat, let alone the effects of neutering which will dictate what you can/can't do too - along with your and your dogs' lifestyles. Easy this isn't it  :005:

I would suggest that the basic tools are:

Straight scissors - for trimming the feet,
Thinning scissors - 42 or 46 teeth single sided - for thinning the feathering, ears, chest and head(pet only for the head)
Combs - fine tooth and woder toothed - also consider spinning teeth also. This would include a Spratts 76 but it doesn't have to be.
Matt splitter
Slicker brushes - find ones that are comfortable for you to hold. What suits one person will be agony for another.

For hand stripping:
finger stalls or latex gloves, marigolds, whatever suits you for gripping the hair
chalk again for gripping the hair

The more personal choice items depending on what you were looking for would include:

Coat King - 22 teeth
Clippers
Stripping knife
Stripping stone
Polishing mitt
Finishing spray - The Stuff, Show Silk or similar

But you need to look at the ranges available and decide what suits you, your Cocker and your budget - you can spend a small fortune on this stuff - often unecessarily ;)

Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 10:29:23 PM »
Thanks Pammy  ;)

To back up Pam's good advice I will take some photo's tomorrow when I'm working of the tools I regularly use.
As Pam said it really is down to the individual preference, and to a certain degree there is no totally right or wrong way, you only have to look around the ring at any show to confirm this  ;)

Offline Neville

• Site Member
  • Me 13 weeks old
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 10:39:57 PM »
Thanks Pammy and Michelle - but I'm even more confused now.  You have explained what one or two of the items do, but not all of them. 

I don't want to show Neville, just want to keep him neat and tidy and avoid him being uncomfortable.  I would like to be able to deal with his whole grooming myself, but don't have the confidence, so will lean on a professional for that.

Michelle - I do think pictures will help - thanks.
Look forward to hearing from you!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 10:48:17 PM »
I'll put a description with the tools and what I personally use them for, but you'd have to be very well off indeed to buy every piece of equipment going, and despite what the blurb of the grooming companies say you really don't need every item  ;)