Author Topic: Grass Seeds etc  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Grass Seeds etc
« on: March 25, 2004, 03:26:33 PM »
Anyone got any tips for removing those big clumps of grass seed heads that are everywhere at the moment ? Are they called burrs ? :?

I spent over an hour yesterday picking them out Jimmy and Misty's coats only for Misty to sit in a big pile I'd removed that fell on the floor. :evil:

I've got a couple of Nikki dematting tools that seem to help quite a bit, is there anything else that might make the task easier ?                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Grass Seeds etc
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 04:12:45 PM »
Colin

I do feel sorry for you - I know how hard it is to get these blighters out of cocker fur. Phoebe discovered a big pack of small green sticky bobs and by the time I got her out she was orange roan with ALOT of green.

Me and Chris spent about 45 minutes picking them all out.

Don't know of any short cut. We now avoid that bit of the fields :roll:                    
Anita

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Grass Seeds etc
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 04:19:27 PM »
yes - it's that time of year when all the lovelys start to come out again :D

Big tip - groom before you go out - less tangles to start with makes it easier all round  :wink: - also lots of conditioner after a bath - keep the hair smooth - helps them come out too :wink: . You can try detangling spray  then slide them out.

Do try to remove them as soon as you see them to stop them creeping into unwanted places. I often stop when we're out to pull of bits - obviously can't do that for everything, but look as soon as you get home for the burrs. :D

And hey - lets be careful out there :wink:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Grass Seeds etc
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 10:20:18 PM »

And hey - lets be careful out there :wink:

It's dangerous out there in them there parks. :lol:

Some good tips there, Pammy, I'd never thought of brushing them before we went out. I've never used separate conditioner either, just a kind of wash and go type shampoo. Gawd, as if I don't spend enough time already brushing them, hosing them, rinsing them and trimming them. :lol: Any particular recommendations for a good conditioner ? I'm not sure the shampoo I use is that good anyway, I've just been grabbing any old one off the shelf, it does smell nice though.  :)                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Grass Seeds etc
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 10:54:56 PM »
Colin, I like the coconut conditioner from Asda's. Dilute it down with warm water and it goes through a treat. You don't need too much of it though, otherwise you'll spend the day rinsing instead of exercising :roll:  :lol:                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Grass Seeds etc
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 12:22:03 AM »
i shampoo and condition with blueroan shampoo and conditioner stuff  then i use charles worthington takeaway shine serum from boots £1.45 it was a tip an american cocker show person gave me ages ago ;) just run it threw the hair after a bath when damp . especialy the ears . bellas furs been knot/tangle free since except last time i ran out of that and conditoner and she really got in a tangle . the serum just makes the hairs smooth , its not greecey at all like alot of the others                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Grass Seeds etc
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 07:06:53 AM »
I've never used conditioner on Morgan either.  Michele, do use doggy shampoo or do you just get ordinary shampoo?  I've been using the Shaws one as it's the only one they stock in the local pet shop :oops:  :roll:  :D , but if anyone can recommend a better one that I can buy online, that would be great :) .

Where do you get the blue roan shampoo, I've never heard of it?  Do you wash out the shine serum?  

As with everyone else, I have about 4 or 5 pit stops when out on a walk to remove the debris from Morgan's coat.  It seems he's always dragging twigs and sticks behind him  :roll:   :roll:                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Grass Seeds etc
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 10:19:01 AM »
You don't really need the blue roan shampoo Shirley - there are various shampoos marketed for the various colours (black coats, gold coats, white coats) made by assorted companies like Shaws but I haven't found any of them make much of a difference. Unless they contain dyeing agents (as some American products do), they just contain things like "optical brighteners" whatever they are :lol: It's up to you whether you use human products or shampoos made for dogs - I think Michele & I both prefer doggy shampoos but others prefer human shampoos. The Shaws range of shampoos is pretty good so if you're happy with what you're using on Morgan, there's no reason to change really :)                    
Jane

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Grass Seeds etc
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 03:47:51 PM »
Thanks Jane  :)   That's really helpful. I'll just stick with the one I'm using then as I've been quite happy with it and it's handy 'cos I can buy it on town (not often I can say that  :wink:  ).  Which of the doggy conditioners would you recommend??                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Grass Seeds etc
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 04:29:08 PM »
The shampoo is a canine coconut one from Simpsons.  I bought it at Crufts last year and it's still going so really good value for money.

I use a conditioner from Diamond Edge.  It's just their basic one but it makes all the difference and I have had no adverse effects from it.  Just use a little bit and make sure it's rinsed out properly.

I think I've posted before that The Stuff is great to make their coats all sleek and shiny and reduces the amount of mats and tangles.  I used to use Velvet Coat but that just makes me sneeze!

Loraine  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Grass Seeds etc
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 05:09:17 PM »
I think Michele & I both prefer doggy shampoos but others prefer human shampoos.

Absolutely right Jane  :D
 I buy my shampoo from Groomers http://www.groomersshampoo.com/  and although I do use the human conditioner I always go for a 'natural' type one like coconut or wheatgerm. :D                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Grass Seeds etc
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2004, 09:46:50 PM »
Yep doggy shampoos ect are far better i think, it depends on the brands thou , my blue roan shampoo is from shaws i go t it from pets at home ive tried loads of different ones and im really happy with this one seems to make a huge difference in the look of the coat :) theres lots of different colour shampoos there too , id try a few out see what you like best :)
The shine serum you just take a tiny amount run your fingers threw then dry . I used to always use doggy shampoo ..ect. but someone gave me the tip on the serum, aparently its suposed to have the same stuff in it as a well known dog serum ? dont know if thats true but it makes the fur lovely and smooth :D                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Grass Seeds etc
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2004, 10:53:34 PM »
I buy my shampoo from Groomers http://www.groomersshampoo.com/  and although I do use the human conditioner I always go for a 'natural' type one like coconut or wheatgerm. :D

Me too - the Groomers range is v good quality & good value for money (goes a long way too when you dilute it) I did buy some very expensive conditioner at Crufts on the recommendation of a well-known American Cocker owner but I'm not finding it any better really than the cheaper "own brand" ones so you don't always get what you pay for :lol:                    
Jane

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Grass Seeds etc
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2004, 02:48:38 AM »
Do you guys have a product over there called Aloveen? They make a beautiful conditioner for dogs which is designed to be left in. Smells wonderful, and is quite a thick consistency. I massage heaps of this through their coats before going out, if I know we are going to get muddy, wet or prickly, and it makes grooming afterwards so much easier.
If I don't have any I just use a normal hair conditioner, but the trick is to slather heaps on before they get covered in burrs, and prickles.