Author Topic: Puppies & Kids  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Phil

• Site Member
Puppies & Kids
« on: April 13, 2004, 02:02:01 PM »
Well, Brin is about 6 months old now and really great. The only thing is that he's not great with kids. We don't have any (yet) ourselves but most of our friends have young kids. Most kids seem nervous of dogs which I guess makes Brin nervous. They stick out their hand and then suddenly pull it back when he gets near. This combined with their running around and the general loudness associated with kids doesn't make it easier. We tried to introduce him to kids from an early age but he still seems unsure of them. Any advise?                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Puppies & Kids
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 02:44:50 PM »
Hi Phil

My three don't have any contact at all with kids unless we see any when we are out.  Bart always makes a beeline for them whereas Sebastian & Douglas prefer to mooch on past them.

I would suggest not only educating Brin but also the children of your friends - having them put out their hands and then pulling them away is bound to frighten him and make him unsure of them and running around screaming again isn't something that puppies are used to.  If they are frequent visitors to your house I would suggest that they also learn how to approach Brin ie not screaming or squealing or running around.  They need to approach him quietly and confidentally.

Hope this makes sense and you can see where I'm coming from.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Puppies & Kids
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 03:12:13 PM »
Phoebe doesn't have much contact with Kids unless we are out and about. But, they always hold their hand out and then try and stroke the top of her head which she's not keen on strangers doing :? . She's completely fine if they approach her and tickle her chest!

She runs a mile if they go for the top of her head and she looks such a scardy cat!

I do think the kids need a bit of teaching too!                    
Anita

Offline Ange

• Site Member
Puppies & Kids
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 08:53:16 PM »
Hi Phil

I had the same problem with my previous dog a border collie who was very sensitive/nervous of new people/children and situations in general. I suspect that Brin does not come into that catorgary, as most cockers are quite outgoing.  However, if you do feel anxious of Brin being around children he is likely to pick up on your feelings and then act nervous.  You need to make all his experiences with children good ones, which means the children giving treats/ playing with him etc so that he associates children with nice things.  

As Anita has said most dogs if nervous of a situation do not like to be stroked on their head, so tell children to tickle under chin/chest.

I am certain that you will not have a problem with Brin and children, ( but I know it can be a worry especially if you are planning a family in the future) My border collie was extremely worried by children, but I went on to have two who he totally adored.

So try not to worry too much, and make sure all his experiences are good ones.

Ange                    

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Puppies & Kids
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 09:55:06 PM »
As the parent of a three 1/2 yr old and (hopefully) soon to be 'mum' to a new pup, I am sure that 'training' our daughter will be far harder than training the pup!

If children are not familiar with dogs they get very excited, but have no idea of what to do; hence the squeals and jerky, sudden movements - think about how a puppy reacts when it experiences something new.

We are planning on using a crate/indoor kennel to provide the pup with a 'safe haven' from our daughter, but also allow our daughter to familiarise herself with the pup from 'a distance'; rather than a 'free for all' which could lead to long term bad memories for both our daughter and the pup.

If you raise a baby with a dog, these problems are usually avoided because the baby grows up with the dog as part of their life.                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Puppies & Kids
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 04:08:06 PM »
I have 3 children who are all fantastic with dogs and dont grab, hug, snatch hands away etc - I have however done all these things with Brogan from time to time so that he is not alarmed by these movements when a stranger does them - even though I know they are incorrect ways to handle a dog.

When Brogan is with people and children  that he is  unfamiliar with - I watch him closely for stress signals. Brogan will turn his head away, lick his lips and yawn when he feels crowded - this is when I will step in and give him a little deserved space.

IWLass - my youngest son was the same age when we got Brogan - he was surprisingly easy to guide and was very eager to do the right thing - Brogan and him are inseparable now - like litter mates together.  Constant supervision was the key and short time-outs when the going got rough - stairgates are wonderful!!

We spend a lot of time with Brogan at the school gate - there is always one child that will run past screaming and begging for trouble - Brogan is now desensitized to her - wonderful treats from me for ignoring her and staying settled.  Teaching the watch command was very useful here for us.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline bunny

• Site Member
Puppies & Kids
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 07:35:28 PM »
if you have some friends or family with some older kids...say around eight or so, ask them would they mind being your guinea pig, sweets do the trick, ask them to play quietly, with a ball or what ever and totally ignore your cocker, you will find after a while he will go to them, slowly he will begin to approach kids (gently and slowly works), my friend was successfull this way, with a dog much the same as you describe, i have never had this problem personally as i have four kids mixed ages, and elmo was thrown in at the deep end, and survived, so to speak. ignoring the problem is sometimes better than cuddles and sweetness and light in his ears, the more you cuddle and pamper them, when they react like that, the more likely they are to think there really is a problem. hope things go well for you. :wink:
bunny and elmo
xx        woof woof                    

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
    • http://
Puppies & Kids
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 08:12:35 PM »
yeh you need to seek out some families that have dogs already and those children should have respect for dog and should have been told how to behave with dogs                    
sue baxter and Alfie

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Puppies & Kids
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 08:35:02 PM »
If your dog is truly scared of children it might be an idea to start with just walking him on a lead in the park, where he can see and hear children but they are no threat to him. Graduallly building his confidence to a point where he's comfortable being near them and then in time like other's have said ask an older child to just sit and let him come to them! :wink:

He might be one of those cocker's that don't want to run up to every child, it's not a bad thing!

But for your peace of mind, he does need to be trust worthy around children, I think with time and patience you could sort it out but try not to force him into a situation he isn't happy with, this can have an adverse effect.

P.S. I know school has finished for the summer, but in September you could always try walking past at home time, so he can see lots of children and take some nice treats so he associate's it with something pleasant! :lol:

hth

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Puppies & Kids
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 09:23:28 PM »
Dear all -please note this is a fairly old thread now.

Thanks                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional