Author Topic: when can you start stripping puppies?  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Andrea L

• Site Member
when can you start stripping puppies?
« on: June 11, 2004, 09:35:14 PM »
Silas is only 9 1/2 weeks but already hes got quite fluffy legs and his hair is starting to form little curls on his shoulders.I want to show him at 6 months but if his hair continues to grow at the rate it seems to be doing he'll look lke a yeti by then  :roll:  His breeder has already trimmed his feet and whiskers.
 And can you recommend a good shampoo for him please.  

Thanks                    
lots of woofs n' licks,
Andrea, Silas and Marley

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 10:47:18 PM »
I would be very surprised if any of his puppy fluff would actually come out at this age....but i would certainly start having a little pretend pull so he get's used to the sensation...that way when you really give it some wellie he won't mind so much  :wink:  I think it's hard to say when his puppy fluff will be ready to "give" as all dogs are different  :wink:  I think Michele maybe able to help you as I think Otis's coat didn't give by 6 months and took longer to shift, also I think it is acceptable for pups to have some puppy fluff in Minor Puppy Classes as long as they are well turned out  :)  I use Tea Tree Oil shampoo...because Butty suffers from dry skin....I'm sure all forum members will have other products to recommend  :)                    

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 10:56:17 PM »
I use the super concentrated groomers shampoo from Diamond edge - sorry I can't remember the web address just now.  It costs £14.99 for 4 litres but you dilute it 1 part in 10 - lasts forever.  It brings Brogan's coat out lovely.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline Andrea L

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 09:53:51 PM »
thanks for the info guys. Lets hope his coat gives reasonably early , I need time to practice this stripping lark!! Laura the shampoo sounds likw a good buy, so I'll have a look for it.
        Thanks again                    
lots of woofs n' licks,
Andrea, Silas and Marley

Offline Sandie

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 05:51:51 PM »
Hi,

Wesley is 91/2 months old and his coat is still not quite ready to pull. Managed to get his topline out but thats about it. He is going his first show looking like a teddy bear.

I use Groomers Royal Jelly shampoo which is reasonably priced at £22.50 if you buy it by the gallon.

However, recently it was recommended that I try Bio-Groom Wheatgerm shampoo followed by Bio-Groom Silk conditioner. I must say wow! what a difference it had made. His coat is lovely and soft where before it was a bit harsh on top, and his black patches shine like black silk. Bit expensive i seem to remember. Just checked the bottles and there is no price on them. Got it from Hub International at the last champ show I went to.

Highly recommended if you have solids  :lol:

Sandie, Aimee and Wesley xx