Author Topic: Can you over do it?  (Read 2406 times)

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Can you over do it?
« on: July 04, 2004, 03:50:53 PM »
I got myself a coat king for grooming Blue who as some will know from an earlier post of mine was clipped 3 times before I decided to grow his coat, and just thought I'd let you all know that he doesn't seem to be growing back curly at all and is looking lovely :wink:

My question is that I think I'm getting quite addicted to this coat king gadget  :shock:  how often should I be using it? and can you over do it with it?                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Can you over do it?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 05:59:28 PM »
I got a coat king a few weeks ago their good are'nt they! :D

It's quite alarming how much hair comes out and I did think OMG she will be bald, I think I will use it on Molly about once a weeks to start with I don't know about other COL'ers and how much they use there's, maybe someone else will have different ideas? :?

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Can you over do it?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 06:39:25 PM »
What age can you use a coat king from?

Lotties hair is lovely at the moment, but it is starting to grow and getting fluffy around her legs.

What age should I start trying to cut any of her hair, I don't want to do it too early and spoil her coat.
She isn't going to be showing, but Lucy doesnt want her clipped short, she would prefer to keep some coat.

This is a new area for me, Goldie is just a good brush and comb and hey presto, she's done :D

Where can you buy the coat kings from, I haven't seen any in our local Pets at Home. What do they actually do? Do they just take out dead coat or actually cut it shorter?

Sorry about all the questions :roll: ......bit of an amateur here :D                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Can you over do it?
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 07:34:23 PM »
Hi all

Maria, I'm sure I've read on here before that you can go too far and end up with bald patches, but I can't find the thread.  I only use the coatking once every couple of weeks but I suppose it depends how much you take out each time.  They are great inventions though - a lot less time consuming and messy than handstipping, not to mention easier on the fingers.

Here are a couple of old threads on the subject:
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewt...opic.php?t=2627
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewt...opic.php?t=2153

Sheila you can get the Mars Coatking from here:   http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/Onl..._Shears_29.html
You will need the 26 blade one for a cocker.

They do actually cut the hair as well as pulling it, I think, but for keeping a pet cocker looking like a cocker they are fantastic.  I saw an 8 month old blue roan the other day - his coat had been completely sheared and it looked awful :? .

Cooper is 6 1/2 months and very fluffy but so far I've only trimmed his feet and inside his ears.  It's probably about time i tackled his head as he's developing a centre parting, but i'm kind of attached to it, think it looks cute, so he's keeping it for a wee while longer  :lol: .                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Can you over do it?
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 08:55:15 AM »
Thanks Shirley for the advice re Coat King. I think I'll order one today, although I won't be using yet. I actually thought about trimming Lotties feet, but somehow they look so cute at the moment. :D
I'm happy with her coat at the moment, but it'll be useful to have the Coat King at home, ready and waiting.                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Can you over do it?
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 06:45:33 PM »
Thanks for the links Shirley, Blue was very glad to hear that his daily coat king is now going to be fortnightly, he was getting just a little fed up of me telling him how much he loved it :wink:  :lol:

Lizzy - yes the coat kings are good, I've been letting Blues coat grow for ages now and he was starting to look quite untidy but after several days of coat king :oops:  he now looks as handsome as ever :D

Sheila - I was thinking of using the coat king on Bailey when he is around 6 months as thats the age I started to have Blue groomed, by then they're usually like a little fluff ball and more than ready for the chop! :lol:                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Can you over do it?
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 07:21:35 PM »

Sheila - I was thinking of using the coat king on Bailey when he is around 6 months as thats the age I started to have Blue groomed, by then they're usually like a little fluff ball and more than ready for the chop! :lol:

Thanks a lot, I feel like I dont really know what I am doing with the grooming, it's all new.

Is just the Coat King on its own with a normal brush and comb sufficient, or will I need scissors? I've read about people using thinning scissors and other things?
Would appreciate some advice :)                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Can you over do it?
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 09:35:47 PM »
Hi Sheila,

I also use scissors for trimming around the feet (they have a tendency to grow like big bears paws! :shock: ) thinning scissors for the feathers on the legs and chest and I also just thin at the top of the ears too.

I'm new to the coat king but it seems to be doing a great job on Blue, I'm really happy with it and I use a slicker brush on him everyday to keep on top of him  :D

Someone will hopefully be along shortly with some great advise for you Sheila as I'm a novice at this myself but we are lucky enough on COL to have groomers who are more than happy to share their experience and expertize with us  :wink:  :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Can you over do it?
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 08:09:40 AM »
I've just caught up with this thread.  Yup the coat king is fantastic....but I too was a bit worried that I had overdone it  :shock:   Does everyone use thinning scissors for leg feathers as Piper's are really thick?

I also use the coat king about once every couple of weeks.                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Can you over do it?
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 09:10:03 AM »
Does everyone use thinning scissors for leg feathers as Piper's are really thick?

Yes for a pet Cocker, you'll need to use thinners on the legs if the hair is really thick - the Coat King isn't so effective on legs, it tends to bounce off them :lol:  

Sheila, your basic grooming kit should include a slicker brush, fine toothed comb (Spaniel comb), wider toothed comb, Coat King, straight-edged scissors & thinning scissors. The Coat King is great for keeping pet Cockers tidy & removing the worst of the dead, fluffy hair, but you'll need straight scissors for feet, inside ears etc & thinners for down the throat, around & underneath the tail, leg feathering etc.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Can you over do it?
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 09:36:03 AM »
MMM, I've got all parts of the grooming kit with the exception of the 'slicker brush'.

I use the fine toothed comb on her a lot but will have a look for a slicker brush - is that what I should be using daily  :wink:                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Can you over do it?
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 10:06:22 AM »

I use the fine toothed comb on her a lot but will have a look for a slicker brush - is that what I should be using daily  :wink:

Slickers get through thick coat more effectively than the traditional bristle brushes but I do still use a bristle brush now & again. What I find with Cockers coming to me for grooming is that sometimes owners say they brush their dogs regularly but because they are using soft bristle brushes all they do is "tickle the top" of the coat rather than getting down to the skin & really grooming through the coat :)  You can different types of slickers - soft ones for puppies or dogs with finer coats, firmer ones for heavier coats etc.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Can you over do it?
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 10:06:50 AM »
HI Louise

The slicker brush is the one thing I couldn't be without :) .  It takes the majority of any tangles out first and then I use the Spratts comb to finish off.  After having an OES who would run a mile if he saw you coming with a brush, it's quite refreshing to have two cockers jostling to see who can get to the front when they see me going for the slicker brush!  :lol:  :lol: They just love it!                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Can you over do it?
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 10:34:53 AM »

Sheila, your basic grooming kit should include a slicker brush, fine toothed comb (Spaniel comb), wider toothed comb, Coat King, straight-edged scissors & thinning scissors. The Coat King is great for keeping pet Cockers tidy & removing the worst of the dead, fluffy hair, but you'll need straight scissors for feet, inside ears etc & thinners for down the throat, around & underneath the tail, leg feathering etc.  

Jane

Thank you so much, I will look for these today.
I only have a puppy bristle brush and puppy slicker at the moment, which seem ok because Lotties coat is very fine and well behaved :D .....but she is starting to get shaggy on her legs etc.
I'll get everything in ready for when I need it.
I just hope I can do a good job of it, I've never had to clip a dog before :shock: ....so I hope Lottie will forgive any mistakes.

Thanks again for the great advice, this is one reason I love COL :D                    

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Can you over do it?
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 10:50:33 AM »
HI Louise

The slicker brush is the one thing I couldn't be without :) .  It takes the majority of any tangles out first and then I use the Spratts comb to finish off.  After having an OES who would run a mile if he saw you coming with a brush, it's quite refreshing to have two cockers jostling to see who can get to the front when they see me going for the slicker brush!  :lol:  :lol: They just love it!

Thank you Shirley - the slicker brush is on it's way!

Oooh, thank you Jane as well  :D