Author Topic: Coat King Warning!  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Coat King Warning!
« on: July 18, 2004, 08:52:54 PM »
I was just searching the net, looking for retailers of the coat king, when I came across this :shock:  :shock:  :(  I just thought I would post it, as a warning really, I never realised they were sharp, I have used one on Indie and never in a month of sundays realised they could do any damage like this :roll:   But I suppose any grooming tool could, if not used properly!

Maybe one of grooming experts Jane, Michele :wink:  could tell us exactly the correct manner in which the coat king should be used :)   When I used it, I combed downwards, is this right? :?

Heres the link anyway:-

http://www.midlandctc.co.uk/news/coatkingg...omerwarning.htm

Edited to add... I am sure the coat king is not the only tool that could cause this!  I know from my experience with a coat king, that they are a fantastic grooming aid, it wont put me off using one, but I will be extra careful :)                    

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Coat King Warning!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 09:04:24 PM »
Thats really scary - thanks for the warning.                    
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline annemie

• Site Member
    • http://members.chello.nl/~a.notten1/
Coat King Warning!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 09:50:36 PM »
:shock: that is awfull, I use them too                    
Greetings,

Annemie and a big kiss from Joep, Joris and Henry

[img width= height=]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/annemiejojo/Webfiets.jpg[/img]

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Coat King Warning!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 11:35:56 PM »
A Coat King does indeed have blades (as do other grooming tools like stripping knives & mat splitters) but to injure a dog in the way described would be quite difficult in my experience of using them on Cocker coats (haven't used one on a terrier). Every Coat King I have bought has come with a sheet of paper describing how to hold it & how to use it - you need to hold the handle quite loosely, then lay the Coat King flat along the coat, then you pull the tool through the coat in the direction the coat is growing. You shouldn't press down too hard & the tool should not get close enough to the skin to cut the dog. I generally only use them along the backs of pet dogs which means the Coat King is generally being moved horizontally rather than downwards.

You're right though - many grooming tools are capable of causing injury if misused, even the humble slicker brush can scratch a dog if the groomer is too heavy handed :wink:

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Coat King Warning!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 11:41:02 PM »
And owners cutting themselves with thinning scissors  :shock:  :roll:  oh and poking the spikes of the slicker into your thumb  :D                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Coat King Warning!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 11:48:52 PM »
oh and poking the spikes of the slicker into your thumb  :D

:shock:  :lol:  That IS sore, especially if it goes right under the nail!   :o :lol:                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Coat King Warning!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 11:49:20 PM »
:D Thanks for that Jane!

Gilly, I know what you mean about the slicker brush, especially hurts, when it gets you under your nails :shock:                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Coat King Warning!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 11:52:53 PM »
:lol:  I was editing to add the nail thing as you were posting, Emma :wink:  :lol:                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Coat King Warning!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 12:03:24 AM »
:lol:  I was editing to add the nail thing as you were posting, Emma :wink:  :lol:

:lol:  :lol: I'm glad its not just me, being clumsey with the brush then :wink:                    

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Coat King Warning!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 07:58:37 AM »
Thanks for little description Jane,

my coat king came with no instructions whatsoever, so I've been using it very gingerly! :shock:

Lizzy Molly and Evie.                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie