Author Topic: Bones  (Read 3967 times)

ziggy

Bones
« on: August 19, 2004, 10:16:07 PM »
hi,i was just wondering if it is safe to give your dog a bone,my last cocker picked up a bone from the neighbour once,unbeknown to me,,and we had to take her to the vets,he said not to give her a lamb bone again,as it really constipates them badly,others say a raw bone is good for their health etc,i won,t give jasper any as it put me off when we had the episode with the lamb,sometimes when we do a sunday roast i feel really awful throwing the beef bone away,incase jasper would enjoy it,,any tips please!! ;)

p.s. when ruby had the lamb bone she could not walk and looked paralysed after,it was scary,so i don,t want to make that mistake with jasper,, :blink:

thanx
ziggy and jasperxxx

Offline vicking

• Site Member
    • http://
Bones
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 10:19:41 PM »
:unsure: Not sure on all bones but have been told by a vet to avoid lamb bones ;)  
VICKI , MIA AND ROSCOE X X X

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Bones
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 10:47:33 PM »
Hi,
raw bones are fine to give after a meal, you could try chicken wings or lamb rib bones. You should always fed bones after your dog has eaten its main meal. Its true that bones can cause hard stools and this is particulary true of cooked bones. Think long and hard before giving any cooked bones as they can cause much trouble.I would not give them but if you do go for the larger ones with the marrowbone centres as these will not splinter the same. I had a friend whose dog died from an internal puncture wound from eating a cooked chicken bone. (it had pinched them from her kitchen bin.

From Karen  :ph34r:  
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

ziggy

Bones
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 10:49:56 PM »
thanx karen ithought chicken was bad too,or are the wings a softer bone so easier to digest?thanx for the tip,on giving them after a meal ;)

ziggy and jasperxxx

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
Bones
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 11:20:35 PM »
If given raw both the chicken wings (can be bought for about £1.22 in Asda's chilled meat section) and lamb bones (Markets) are quite soft and easy to eat. The bones provide a rich source of calcium. The soft bones are also better as over time the large marrowbones can wear the dogs canines down.

ziggy

Bones
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 11:33:37 PM »
;) do you know how many chicken wings i,ve thrown away :lol: jasper could have really enjoyed them,,won,t tell him,he,ll just look at me :angry: ,,, :lol:

thanx again

ziggy and jasperxx

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
Bones
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 11:35:33 PM »
Your welcome  :P

From Karen  :D  

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Bones
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 09:27:04 AM »
Mine love their chicken wings but when I went to replenish my stock, Asda had sold out :o  I guess word has well and truly got round :lol:  Anyway, I remember reading on a BARF website that you could feed chicken thighs so I bought a pack of them. Didn't expect for them to be as big as they were! Kept the pair of them occupied for ages B)  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Sandy J.

• Site Member
Bones
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 04:21:19 PM »
I had a friend whose dog died from an internal puncture wound from eating a cooked chicken bone

From Karen  :ph34r:
I also know somebody whose dog died because its owner just gave him bones :( . Nobody could help it - the wound was too serious  :(  So I don't use to give Sara any bones, because it's safer for her.

Sandy & Sara

Offline PennyB

Bones
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 06:35:24 PM »
I had a friend whose dog died from an internal puncture wound from eating a cooked chicken bone

From Karen  :ph34r:
I also know somebody whose dog died because its owner just gave him bones :( . Nobody could help it - the wound was too serious  :(  So I don't use to give Sara any bones, because it's safer for her.

Sandy & Sara
That's the thing though because people on here are suggesting giving them raw. Mine just crunch away at their chciken wings in sheer delight. A friends cav breeder suggested a lamb bone is good for clearing anal glands
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Toohey

• Site Member

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Bones
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2004, 08:29:19 AM »
I've just started feeding a raw diet with the help of Karen (Bluegirl) and Piper loves it ;)  

She loves and adores chicken wings and lamb ribs - yum, yum, yum she says  :D  

While I've had her on this diet there has been no 'scooting' (dragging bum along the floor which is a sign the anal glands are full) - she always did this when I simply fed the dry food.

Louise
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline gc

• Site Member
Bones
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 09:28:30 AM »
I don't give any bones to Balu. Chicken bones, because of their nature, are considered to be dangerous and might cause intestine injuries. Also, from what I've heard from my vet, bones also have a tendency to injure the colon. I usually give her a piece of stick, which is a kind of processed bones something.
George.
The truth is out there..... and a cocker can easily find it ;-)

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
Bones
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 10:12:38 AM »
We only give bones to Woody we've bought from the local pet shop and we always keep an eye on him when he has them.  We've found that sometimes it's best to soak them in warm water first (especially as he's been teething) and that "freshens" the flavour of an old bone making it last longer - and better value for money!

We don't let him have chicken bones from our meals because, like others, I read that it wasn't safe to do so.
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
Bones
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 10:03:19 PM »
If you feed raw bones after a main meal this will provide the stomach with a protective lining.