Author Topic: Recall  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Ollies Mummy

• Site Member
  • 8th July 2003 - 13 July 2009
Recall
« on: September 01, 2004, 11:20:51 AM »
Hi All

Ollie my 14 month old Golden Cocker is driving me crazy.

I use a whistle when out on long walks with him - where he can run for miles off the lead. I trained him at home using his food bowls, asking him to sit, stay before blowing the whistle as a sign to get his food.

That worked out great for months - his recall has been fantastic - until the last few weeks......this has now gone back down hill, he comes but won't sit so I can't give him a treat and then it takes me forever to get him back on the lead at the end of the walk...
The walk starts off as a 2hr romp over the hills, and ends as a 3 - 4hr nightmare!!

Its like he's laughing at me......  :rolleyes:

I get no support from my husband, because he doesn't like me letting him off the lead full stop.....(don't get me started on that subject!)

Tell me where I'm going wrong please!!

Alison and Mishevious Ollie

xxxx
Alison & Dearly Departed Ollie - now waiting at the Bridge xxx

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Recall
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 12:42:40 PM »
Sounds like you are dealing with a head strong teenager!!! - a technique change is in order!! as for what i am stumped - maybe someone else can help.

I am guessing that he is pushing the boundries - it may be time for you to reaffirm your position as 'top of the pack' and his boss!

Don't give in though. Recall is important as there may be a time you need to call him back for his own safety.
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline PennyB

Recall
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 01:03:05 PM »
Yes I've got one of those and had to go back to basics, reinforcing things as often as I would if he were a tiny pup. I think you also have to up the stakes a little as well as for a while when Wilf started misbehaving with recall I took out heaps of fantastic treats and toys and games to keep him interested (as time goes on and they listen more then you make them work harder for treats) and just worked a lot harder to focus his attention.

It might be worth using a longline (I use a 10m thin climbing rope with a trigger hook that attaches it to his harness). Wilf's recall is generally quite good but if I'm trail walking away from our local area I use the harness and rope as there are too many hazards on the way.

...and yes he is probably laughing at you (which is why you need a very good sense of humour for teenage cockers) ;) He still knows how to do these things but just chooses not to and is a bit like this at the moment LOL
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline dillydolly

• Site Member
    • http://
Recall
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 01:19:46 PM »
hiya alison,

like the other replies i would go back to basics, and maybe doing this in your garden with a long line. Maybe try the treat pot method at home , you need to get a pot with a lid and fill it with dry dog food as it need to make a noise when shaked. Do this to begin with at home you need to get your dog to understand that there is something nice in there, so your dog is down the bottom of the garden or away from you and you want him to come back, you call his name and shake the pot if he comes back give him a treat from the pot ( you can put bits of cheese or sausage in the pot but it also needs biscuits for them to hear the shake). If your dog delays and comes back in his own time you say to him ' ah ah to late' and put the pot on the shelf and walk away and ignore the dog.
 You can also try the long line one have some goodies in your hand ( have the dog attached to the long line) throw out a few treats he will run to get them and when he is finished say his name and he will come back for more treats keep throwing them out until you establish a routine and gradually make the line longer and longer as he gets used.
 Just a quick thought i had with the treat pot as you said you use your whistle for recall maybe you can combine the two shake the pot and then blow whistle so he still associates the whistle with recall.

good luck
dillydolly  :D  

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Recall
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 10:30:48 AM »
Penny, your smiley really made me laugh  :D  :D !  I can really relate to it!

Sue and Tilly (who?  me?)

Offline Ollies Mummy

• Site Member
Recall
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 12:26:58 PM »
Thanks for all your replies....back to basics it is.

I've decided to set aside some lead/line work when we're out on our walks, as well as the usual training,  as we don't have a large garden to do it at home.

I will let you all know how it goes, and thanks Penny, that smilie sum's Ollie up to a T.!!

Here goes......

Alison and Ollie xxx

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Recall
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 08:58:59 PM »
I dont think anyone else mentioned this, and perhaps you already do it?  It may help to not always clip his lead back on, or finish the walk when you call him.  Keep calling him back to you throughout the walk, when he gets to you, reach down and hold his collar, ask for a sit...reward, and let him go again.   He should soon realize that your calling of him does not necessarily mean the end of the fun.  

Another thing you could try is to take his lead and a long line with you on the walk.  When you unclip the lead, attach the long line.  He will think he is free and run, but as you have the line attached to him you still have control over him, and can use the line to encourage him back to you.  As he gets used to this he will know if you have attached the long line or not, so you need to clip and unclip the line a few times to make him unsure as to whether he is still 'attached' to you.

Good Luck

sportsmonki  

Offline Ollies Mummy

• Site Member
Recall
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2004, 01:00:13 PM »
Hi

We've been out for a really long walk this morning, been practicing our come, sit and stay, and its working only had two mishaps.....

One with two puppies and one with Sunday Walkers in white outfits....why?

Apart from that he's been really good, not used the long line yet....but I'm not giving up...constant training now.

Thanks again for your help...oh and look we've got an up-to-date avatar!!!

Love Alison and Ollie xxx :lol:  

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Recall
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 07:41:40 AM »
Some excellent tips here. I've always wondered about that that end of the fun senario and that tip makes sense.

Vahris' recall is excellent, always has been, but I have the feeling Rufus will be more of a challenge.

Loved that smillie too by the way - men in general sprang to mind.  :D