Author Topic: Biting Update  (Read 1448 times)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Biting Update
« on: September 18, 2004, 09:54:10 PM »
Many thanks to all those who posted help, advice and encouragment over the past few weeks, all of it was appriciated.

Anyway we seemed to reach breaking point a fortnight ago when he drew blood from a neighbour :( Luckily for us she was very understanding and brushed it off and actually spent time comforting me as I was in tears and seriously thinking enough was enough  :(

So a good talk(read row) with hubby ensured we were both dealing with it the same way and he agreed on either getting outside help or facing up to returning Alfie.

As it happened, that weekend Alfie lost his four front teeth and since then, with us both working from the same rule book, no more bites :)

He still mouths and likes to chew on sleeves, but not a single bite. And I can ask him for a kiss without fear of losing my nose :D  Hes also getting the hang of not jumping up at all and sundry (ok so not everytime) but Im much more confident about him interacting with other people now :)

So once again thanks and just to let those who may be going through the same right now - there really is light at the end of the tunnel :) If only me and hubby were reading from the same rule book we might have gotten there sooner
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Biting Update
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 10:02:50 PM »
Oh well, done Caroline!

I too had the 'talk' with hubbie, and we also have started 'singing from the same hymn sheet' - although the in-laws visited today and undid days of work with Molo, unfortunately; I have had to be really firm this evening.

Brilliant to hear that Alfie is being a 'better boy'.....hope he and Molo can meet up soon!! :rolleyes:

BTW - Molo has only drawn my blood so far, but can he teach Molo how to target the neighbour, please - you know how awful my neighbours are  :o  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
    • http://
Biting Update
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 12:03:32 PM »
Woody has lost all his front teeth (all replaced with lovely new ones!) and is currently losing the big ones at the side so lots of sleeve chewing.   :(

I'm taking a new tack with him biting - I've started saying "OW OW OW" in a very hurt, teary voice (I'm an actor don't you know!!!! LOL!) and he stops and looks up and then licks me!!  It seems to be working.  And we change our tone of voice when he's being good and tell him he's a "good boy" and a "loving boy".  That helps I think.   :D

We've probably got at least another couple of months until all his teeth are through though and then there's that "bitey phase" when he tests them all out ... skirting boards beware eh?!   :lol:  
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Biting Update
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 04:58:39 PM »
Along with the loud 'OWS' you should turn your back and walk away from the puppy.. this is what the Mummy dog and siblings would do if he/she was too rough.  He has to learn that you'll only play if he keeps his teeth to himself!

Jovi is 7 mths and when excited still tries to hang off my hair with his teeth!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:  I won't allow any teeth against skin/clothes, altho' hubby isn't so helpful.. what is it with men!  :D  
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Biting Update
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 06:48:47 PM »
You will all think I am mad as to how I got Brogan to stop biting in the end - he was a croc big style :angry:   Not a method for the faint-hearted because it hurt - me not the dog.  I put a treat in my hand and closed my fist and held it still - any biting and pawing got completely ignored.  As soon as all that nonsense stopped - I clicked and treated from the other hand with a Jackpot amount of higher reward treats.  After less than 5 times all biting ceased - I am pleased to say as by now my hand was a little sore!  <_<  :lol:  Everytime he went to mouth after that all we did was close our fist.  He would stop in his tracks and look up waiting for a treat.  Had to turn it into something positive in the end as he was always being yelped at and being put in isolation although we did still use this method along side the training.  Also taught him to take treats gently using the same method.  I know bit nuts :blink:  :ph34r:  but it worked for us.  
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Biting Update
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 11:32:56 PM »
Actually Laura ,the method that you use is exactly the same way we were taught at puppy classes.

We eventually work up to having the treat in the open hand and when the pup sits and waits, then click and give the treat.

It teaches the puppy that they do not take things unless they are told to and also cuts down on the biting :D

They catch on amazingly fast.....although I do think that cockers are just a little more brainy than some other breeds (and that is a completely unbiased view :lol: ).
Lottie caught on after just a couple of attempts during the training session.

We are definitely on the tail end of the puppy biting....Lottie is 5 1/2 months and has most of her adult teeth.
As they get older they seem to understand that biting is not allowed and even when they try it on they soon stop. Lottie seems to get this almost guilty look, it's quite comical :)

Offline PennyB

Biting Update
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 11:39:20 PM »
With Ruby, 'ow' never worked or its variations but growling at her did, so much so she licks my face as if to say sorry mum. With Wilf 'ow' has always worked and he just 'laughed' at my growling at him. Cockers! LOL
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Biting Update
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004, 11:48:07 PM »
When Jessie was little and a real biter we growled and even 'bit' her back....it stopped her immediately.
We just growled and when she didnt stop biting we bit her ear...gently but enough to make her whine a little....like her mum would i guess...it worked anyway lol

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Biting Update
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 03:03:35 PM »
I also learnt the 'leave' command with Jovi (food in a closed fist), very useful too, and he was extremely quick on the uptake (much faster than the other breeds in training class  :lol: )

It didn't seem to affect the over excited mouthing (at 7 months he doesn't really bite anymore).. and yes I growl at Jovi too, but just shake his ear and he licks me whilst looking at me with his 'sorry' eyes.. Hubby thinks I'm mad, but then I blame him for it still occurring at all!!  B)

I'd do all 3 things depending on the intensity of the nipping!
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Biting Update
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2004, 03:22:34 PM »
I also learnt the 'leave' command with Jovi (food in a closed fist), very useful too, and he was extremely quick on the uptake (much faster than the other breeds in training class  :lol: )
Molo was the first to pick this up at his class too; he is totally reliable, and will leave titbits until told and I then applied it to leaving toys alone as well, and he will drop them straight away.

Sadly, its taking some time to apply this same technique to clothing; as he is still chewing sleeves; but interestingly, he will never nip my skin now, although he is still nipping OH and guests when they visit  :rolleyes:  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club