Author Topic: Louis Has Turned Into....  (Read 971 times)

Offline Louis

• Site Member
Louis Has Turned Into....
« on: September 20, 2004, 09:46:21 AM »
a very naughty doggy.  He has always been well behaved and we have taken him to lots of training classes etc.  We always let him off the lead and we have never had any problems with him running off or ignoring us when we call him UNTIL he turned one :angry:  :angry:
He was 1 on the 6th september 04 and since then he just does what he likes.  I read in a cocker book that 1 year is equivilant to 15 human years, is this right?  If so do you think it's because he is a teenager now?
Well he ususally stays quite close by when off the lead, but recently he has been running quite a distance away and totally ignoring my desparate calls :angry:  :angry:  especially if there is another dog in sight.  A few times i have had to put him back on his lead and tell him off.  Do you think this is the right thing to do and that he will grow out of it.  
Anyone else had any similar experiences of their cocker turning into satan?

Gemma&Louis

Offline PennyB

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 10:28:39 AM »
Basically he renamed himself Kevin overnight! LOL

Bad recall especially in young males is often one of the main problems at this stage.

The thing you shouldn't do, ever, is tell him off when you get him back and put him on his lead. Always praise dogs for coming back no matter how mad you feel that they ran off in the 1st place.

Go back to basics with recall and arm yourself with treats, toys, whistles or anything else that might work (not always one thing will work one day to the next). Don't give chase either as they then think you're involved in a really good game of theirs—running hysterically away from them to attract their attention and then follow you will often work. Failing all that use a long line (and read all the other threads in the puppy and behaviour forum as there's loads re recall and bad teenage behaviour).

Runaways!

Wilf has turned into a loon at the moment so I sympathise
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Louis

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 06:45:34 PM »
Thanks Penny, you are right about the punishment, because why would he want to come back if i'am going to tell him off and put his lead on?  Luckily i only did this today, so i won't be doing it again.
I think it's back to basics, so tommorrow i will go out armed with treats.  A lot of the time i do run in the opposite direction and shout in an excited voice and this usually works, or i have his ball hidden in my pocket and when i think he's going to make a run for it i get this out and this usually keeps his attention, but this morning nothing seemed to work :angry:  :angry:
Well hopefully it's just a phase he is going through and the good louis will be back soon??

Gemma & Louis

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 10:12:09 PM »
Best thing we do at the mo dealing with 2 13/14 month old dogs who have selective hearing on walks is to shout them and the say "ok im going home...see ya ..." and then run away from them....taking the ball, treats etc with me. They soon panic and come running...whowould feed em if I left them there?  :D
Cheers
Janey and 2 teenage girls x

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 10:33:29 PM »
What I've learned with my dogs is never relax and think you've cracked recall!

Everytime they come back for the lead they get praise or a biscuit, they are quite good really, with Evie who is coming up for 8 months old, I'm focusing on her at the minute because I know any minute now she could start ignoring my pleas! :rolleyes:  

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 10:46:24 PM »
Best thing we do at the mo dealing with 2 13/14 month old dogs who have selective hearing on walks is to shout them and the say "ok im going home...see ya ..." and then run away from them....taking the ball, treats etc with me. They soon panic and come running...whowould feed em if I left them there?  :D
Cheers
Janey and 2 teenage girls x
Yes I come across many an owner who will now longer let their dog off the lead because they say when we want them back and my sons runs after him to get him back he just runs aways even more—dog thinks he's having a lovely game of chase thats why LOL!

I still play hide a seek with mine. If they run round the big bushes one way (trying to lead the pack, but I've always got other ideas LOL) I sneak round the other way and its amazing how quickly they come running to find me (I always give them a treat then as they've done what I wanted, but I let them think it was their idea all the time).

I also play ball games. One in particular they love is the chuckitt as they can race a long way to get it and if they won't give me the ball back then hey I've got several. Its a great way of bonding with your dog and distracting them from thoughts of running off.

Different things will work at different times with my lot. I always have treats I use on occasions when others won't work, or squeaky toys, and have trained them to come to a whistle (a gundog one, the Acme 210-1/2).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 10:48:16 PM »
Best thing we do at the mo dealing with 2 13/14 month old dogs who have selective hearing on walks is to shout them and the say "ok im going home...see ya ..." and then run away from them....taking the ball, treats etc with me. They soon panic and come running...whowould feed em if I left them there?  :D
Brogan is the same age - 14 months next week.  I am very feminine as I can whistle loudly  with my fingers  :lol:  There is one whistle sound I make that means just that - I am off and am running fast in the opposite direction.  I am teaching my boys to keep an eye on me - because I am very unpredictable - and change direction all the time oh and I hide a lot as well.  :ph34r: Lots of games and rewards for coming back - even if I am looking dodgy behind some bush or running like a loony across a field  :wacko:  :lol:  I'm sure Brogan tuts and shakes his head at me :rolleyes:

Agree 100% Lizzy - far too easy to get complacent with recall.  Am finally getting somewhere with Brogan and will soon be starting all over again with Bailey :rolleyes:   I walk Bailey alone a lot though so that he doesn't get to confidant having Brogan round as a crutch - might bide me some extra time if I am lucky :rolleyes: .
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline taniac

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 05:40:27 PM »
It all sounds so familiar.. Neo is generally so well behaved, but he does go selectively deaf (bless her my Mum said she thinks he's got a problem with his ears, and he's a bit deaf.. funny how he can always hear the fridge door open)

I find the big problem with him is if we don't walk in a loop, then he tracks back over the scent trail we left, and once he's in full pelt there's no getting him to come back.  Luckily he always waits for me at the end of the walk!

The other one is if a bitch in season has been walked prior to us walking.  Is your boy neutered?

Neo's now 2 and we still keep up the hiding, walking in a different direction etc.. hard when it's the morning walk and we've got to get to work!  I think it's something you just have to always keep on top of.

With the treats, start by treating every recall, then only a random 50%, and then reduce further, treating the best ones.. Dogs are like fruit machines, you get better results if they don't know which recall is going to pay out!!!  :D  
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)