Author Topic: DIY grooming newbie....Decision ***UPDATE**  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: DIY grooming newbie....Decision ***UPDATE**
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 09:52:44 PM »
I just trim the skirt with scissors.  :shades:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 09:56:26 PM »
We'll need before and after pics you know ;)

Don't worry...no mick taking from me....I'm fortunate enough to only have to do Finn's ears and feathers.......he slinks into his crate when he sees me coming with the scissors  til I get out the bucket of business he can nosh on....then he's very different.....till he see's the results:005: :005:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: DIY grooming newbie...decision??? **UPDATE**
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 10:29:57 PM »
1. Should I get the Andis AGC twin clippers (black colour) or Andis super speed clippers (also twin speed, burgandy colour and about £6 more) The only difference (I think) is the strokes per second???  :huh:

Either one will do, the super speeds are made for grooming shops where they are doing a variety of breeds and coats, the top speed on the supers are for getting through very thick or matted coats. (That high speed heats up the blades pretty quickly too  :-\) The twins should be perfectly fine for a normal or even thick cocker coat

2. Can you clip all the way down and around paws (his paws are creating so much mess and wet at the moment as so long) but keep very slighly longer at the back of his legs? This is the look my groomer does for me. How would I achieve that look?

Yes, you can. I take the clippers straight down the front of the leg, on the sides I hold the leg out in front of the dog (like "shaking hands" or "give me paw") and gently feather the clipper down off the side. Takes practice  ;) You will have to finish the feet with scissors and thinning shears.

3. I like to keep a short skirt. I really don't want the Shaun the sheep look. What do I do about that bit, so I use another type of blade or scissors? I'm a bit wary of pointing sharp scissors at him!

You can use a #7 blade to skin the ends off, this one takes practice too but gives a nice natural finish once you get the hang of it. If you use scissors, be sure to cup your free hand over his penis so you don't have any accidents

4. I like to keep the ends of his ears as short as possible. Can I clip here?

Depends. If you are leaving the feathering on the outside of the ear it would look better if you scissor or use thinning shears on the ends. Otherwise you can just clip it all off if you like

5. It grows back....right!  :005: :005: :005:

Oh yes, it does!  :lol2:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Sprinkles

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 10:36:02 PM »
Thanks Spanielcrazy. Can I draw blood if I press too hard or catch a piece of skin  :shades:
Jo slave to the Cocker! ;)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 10:51:02 PM »
Yes, you can; the biggest trouble spots are the loose flaps of skin near their hind legs and armpits, and around the edges of the ears. If you are clipping out privates or around ears, only use the #10 blade. However it is more common to get clipper burn, which is actually more like razor rash. Keeping your blades sharp and well oiled will prevent this, as will avoiding going over and over the same spot or "digging with the clippers

This website has some excellent tutorials and videos on clipper and blade care:

http://thebladeguyz.com/

Also forgot to mention: when you get the new blades (this is something no one tells you about  >:() they have a coating that you will need to wash off, just wash them in soap and water and dry thoroughly (use a hairdryer to get in between the 2 sections of blade) then oil them as per instructions in the link. If you dont' wash this coating off the blades won't cut well and makes you think you got a bad set of blades

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Sprinkles

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 10:56:14 PM »
So do I avoid clipping over his feet/paws completely? I'm not sure I can afford thinning scissors this month (or next!) I will get the clippers for sure.

Also how to I trim his tail feathering?

Thanks for the advice.

x
Jo slave to the Cocker! ;)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 11:03:06 PM »
No, you can clip the paws---if he'll let you  :005: Some dogs do object.  You will still need to use scissors to tidy up and do the hair underneath the foot. You can use a straight scissors for this, and with a bit of practice you might be able to do with a straight shear a lot of what a thinning shear will do  :blink: