Author Topic: What Size Crate?  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Wendy M

• Site Member
What Size Crate?
« on: September 16, 2005, 12:06:16 AM »
Hi
Apologies if I've missed this already in a previous thread, but can anyone advise me as to what size crate I should be buying for a cocker spaniel?? Also, can anyone recommend a particularly good make or warn of any I should avoid.
Thanks!  This is a great forum and 'newies' like me can so benefit from your experience and, even, previous mistakes.
Thanks a lot
Wendy
Wen xx

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
What Size Crate?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 12:42:31 PM »
Hi Wendy

I think the 30" crates are more than big enough for a Cocker - any bigger is pretty pointless really as all they need is space to stand and stretch out. ( If you plan on leaving a puppy for any length of time then I'd say a playpen would be a better buy)  

I bought a really expensive 36" crate at first, followed by a cheapo 30" Argos one for the car ( for 2 adult Cockers ) - to be honest I've found the Argos one does the job just as well, and it was a third of the price. Ebay might be worth looking at too.

Offline Spangle

• Site Member
What Size Crate?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 01:06:47 PM »
Hi Wendy, just my opinion but the size of the crate would depend on how many are going in it and what the general purpose of crating would be (and for how long)

My guesstimate only - if it's for the back of the car then for 1-2 cockers I wouldn't go smaller than about 21" x 30"  You can get a crate about this size from Argos but there are better ones about...

http://croftonline.co.uk
http://www.hamsterbaskets.co.uk

If you want something more permanent in the back of the car then you could look at http://www.barjo.co.uk/home  Friends of mine on the agility circuit have had their van caged out by Steve Tubb http://www.doggycages.com/  He's done a good job.

Rachel, Sophie, Billy, Ted, Bonnie & Sammy xxxx

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
What Size Crate?
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 02:04:14 PM »
I started off with a small crate (24ins. by 21ins.) when Domino was a small puppy & I got that from the local free-ad paper. When he grew out of that one I got a crate from Ebay which was fairly cheap(about £25) & that was 36ins. by 30ins.

You pays  your money & you takes your choice!!! :D  :D
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
What Size Crate?
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 02:15:13 PM »
I got mine from Ebay, and it is a 30" size.   ;)  

It is big enough for two Cockers no problem, I have always used it just for Sophie on her own - but the hoping is that Beau will also go in there with her eventually.

He is only 8 mths just now so really needs to be crated when I am at work in the morning.
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
What Size Crate?
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 02:23:20 PM »
Can't remember the exact size of mine...but we bought a crate that comes with a divider that we put up when he was small.  When the crate was too big, Bailey would not hold his poo/pee in it and ended up going in the crate.  As he got bigger, we took the divider out.
Bailey and Mom

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
What Size Crate?
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 05:54:13 PM »
I bought a big one for Indie, as sometimes he is in it for three-four hours. I wanted him to have as much room as possible, so it's the biggest one I could get. It's also where you can put it, mine fits perfectly under the stairs and is roomy enough for two, the kids also fit in it if I need some peace and quiet. ;)
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline CarolineandWill

• Site Member
    • http://
What Size Crate?
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 06:05:43 PM »
Hello,

Have you thought about not using a crate.

From our personal experence we have found the kitchen and a stair gate so much better, We had a crate for our spinger and it wasnt succseful at all, so when we got our cocker we just used a travel stair gate on the kitchen door.

I think that you can sometimes over use crates because they are convenient where this way your dog cant be forgotten about.

Also crates just look so cruel. :(
Never be afraid to try something new, after all, a lone amateur built the Ark, a team of experts built the Titanic.[/size]

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
What Size Crate?
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 07:04:47 PM »
Hello,

From our personal experence we have found the kitchen and a stair gate so much better, We had a crate for our spinger and it wasnt succseful at all, so when we got our cocker we just used a travel stair gate on the kitchen door.

I think that you can sometimes over use crates because they are convenient where this way your dog cant be forgotten about.

[snapback]146357[/snapback]

Crates are only cruel if they are misused  <_< I personally would never have a dog in a car without a crate - but I suppose it depends on domestic circumstances as to whether a crate is beneficial in the house  :)

We used a giant breed crate (4' x 2' 6") as a playpen when Molo was a pup, and it is still there for him now - he only gets shut in at night now though - although he often spreads out in there during the day as it is lined with vetbed  :rolleyes:  

He has the biggest that will fit in the boot of the car - I think its about 30"  :unsure:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline CarolineandWill

• Site Member
    • http://
What Size Crate?
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 07:40:24 PM »
I agree that they make sense in the back of the car, although I stick molly in the footwell of the passenger seat :rolleyes:

I think I just like the idea of molly having the feedom of the house.

When we used a crate with our springer the minute he was let out he would be as scatty as anything and hyper around the children, so we decided not to make the same mistake again now molly dosent get hyper around the kids because the novelty just isnt there.

Also we found that  dogs never used the crate to toilet in but as soon as they came out they would asume they could go anywhere, where as molly sees the whole house as her bed so she wont toilet in it.

Just our personal expereience. :huh:
Never be afraid to try something new, after all, a lone amateur built the Ark, a team of experts built the Titanic.[/size]

Offline Wendy M

• Site Member
What Size Crate?
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 08:05:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I'm planning on buying a crate for our one cocker puppy who we're getting in 3 weeks, (so excited!!!!)!!!!
The plan is , having avidly read loads of advice threads on here and also in puppy books, to use the crate overnight or during the day when I have to leave her.  I'm planning to use a crate, mainly to keep her safe and also to help with toilet training,(I can but hope!!!)
I also want to use it for car journeys since, with a traffic police officer for a husband, I'm a bit obsessive about car safety, (as anyone who takes my kids anywhere can confirm as I always shove a booster seat in their hands before they set off!!!)
Again, thanks for the advice and no doubt I'll be asking lots more questions over the next weeks / months / years!!

Wendy
Wen xx

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
What Size Crate?
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 09:40:45 PM »
Hello,

[snapback]146357[/snapback]

Personally we nearly lost our puppy when he was very young, due to him nearly chewing through our broadband connection in the living room, when he was in the same room as us. I'd be much more nervous of the damage they can do to themselves left alone in a room, frankly. Electical flexes, cooker wires, it terrifies me. Most puppies do go through a chewing stage.

Crates are very valuable for the safety and containment of dogs for SHORT periods, certainly there will be people who abuse them, much like people who leave dogs on chains outside all day, but when used properly, I feel they are a responsible and safe method when pups/dogs have to be left alone.

My dogs are crated at all times when travelling too, they are IMO the safest way to transport dogs.

Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Ema

• Site Member
What Size Crate?
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 11:11:57 PM »
I know this dicussion seems to have ended now but I have not been on col for a few days. I would like to say that following advice from col I bought a crate for my now 7 month old cocker wesley, following him seeming to be unable to hold his poo/wee in overnight, it works, he will not mess in it because it is a huge bed to him, he does still cry sometimes but you have to persevere, he can go for about 5/6 hours, but then I always get up and let him out, he is also now asking us to go out in the garden or for a walk, so it seems he is grasping the idea now (well fingers crossed), I had lots of trouble house training him and just wish I had bought a crate for him when he was a puppy.

EMA & WESLEY

Offline Looking for Speedy

• Site Member
What Size Crate?
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 04:34:34 AM »
Iwaslass
Crates are only cruel if they are misused  I personally would never have a dog in a car without a crate - but I suppose it depends on domestic circumstances as to whether a crate is beneficial in the house 

Joey uses a crate to sleep in and night and its there for him to go in during the day if he chooses. I never would use it for a time out or put him in there when he misbehaved because I want him to think of it as his safeplace.

We used to use the crate in the car but todayI just bought him a car harness I have yet to try it out the seatbelt fits through and he sits on the seat. I am a bit of a stickler for seatbelt safety and our four legged friends are no exception.

Of course my hubby thinks I am nuts. :P (just wait until I get him the doggie shoes)

http://www.neopaws.com/shoes.html

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
What Size Crate?
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 09:27:45 AM »
The car doggy harnesses are FAB!! Our 17 week old Max loves his - has the freedom to move round a bit & get comfy on the back seat but the seatbelt obviously locks if he makes any sudden movements or we brake etc - perfect!! Means we get all our boot space back again & no more ramming the crate in & out!! Can't recommend them enough!! (We stop every hour on a long journey to let him out for a wee & give him water etc - so far, so good!!)

:P
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!