Author Topic: Are there more working cockers....  (Read 6611 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Are there more working cockers....
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2006, 09:47:44 PM »
My show cockers would be off flushing chaffinches with Douglas - to be honest I don't think I've ever met a Cocker of either strain that prefers on-lead pavement walks to getting upto mischief in the park/coutryside.  :laugh: My two come alive in the countryside - they may not have quite the energy levels of a worker but they'd sure have fun attempting to give Douglas a run for his money.  B)  :laugh:
Mine too ;) I think all Cocker Spaniels, whether show or working type are individuals with their own personalities which is why we love 'em :blink: We've had quite a few show-type Cockers over a 22 year period & they have all been different - some are super bright & some are less well endowed in the brain department. Our much missed Katie was really intelligent and loved to hunt - she really came alive in the woods with all the scents. Some of her descendants are equally intelligent & are excelling at agility & obedience training. Her sister on the other hand was left behind when the brain cells were being handed out :laugh: It was interesting having Bayley here to stay with us and seeing the differences first hand - yes he has way more speed than most our dogs and learned quickly but sometimes when it came to problem solving & working out a solution to something, our Siani beat him hands down ;) I think we all love our Cockers whichever type we have but neither type is superior to the other - it comes down to whatever suits our lifestyles & personalities best :blink:

Jane
Jane

Offline PennyB

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2006, 10:13:30 PM »
My show cockers would be off flushing chaffinches with Douglas - to be honest I don't think I've ever met a Cocker of either strain that prefers on-lead pavement walks to getting upto mischief in the park/coutryside.  :laugh: My two come alive in the countryside - they may not have quite the energy levels of a worker but they'd sure have fun attempting to give Douglas a run for his money.  B)  :laugh:
Mine too ;) I think all Cocker Spaniels, whether show or working type are individuals with their own personalities which is why we love 'em :blink: We've had quite a few show-type Cockers over a 22 year period & they have all been different - some are super bright & some are less well endowed in the brain department. Our much missed Katie was really intelligent and loved to hunt - she really came alive in the woods with all the scents. Some of her descendants are equally intelligent & are excelling at agility & obedience training. Her sister on the other hand was left behind when the brain cells were being handed out :laugh: It was interesting having Bayley here to stay with us and seeing the differences first hand - yes he has way more speed than most our dogs and learned quickly but sometimes when it came to problem solving & working out a solution to something, our Siani beat him hands down ;) I think we all love our Cockers whichever type we have but neither type is superior to the other - it comes down to whatever suits our lifestyles & personalities best :blink:

Jane

Couldn't agree more with this. Mine could walk all day if I let them, and bounce through woods and bracken all the while, with an hour of agility in between.

Watch this space for the hooligan mammoth adventure to raise money for cancer research ph34r
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2006, 10:33:18 PM »
Our much missed Katie was really intelligent and loved to hunt - she really came alive in the woods with all the scents.
Jane

It's nice to know that Misty has inherited some of her granny, Katie's traits.  B)  :laugh: I've mentioned on another thread how Jimmy and Misty are ball obsessed - however when tramping through the hills, woods and bracken in Scotland they aren't remotely interested in balls, their gundog instincts to chase about on scents etc goes into overdrive - the muddier and dirtier the better for them. London parks obviously just can't compete with that, hence their need to direct their instincts elsewhere.

Penel

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2006, 10:40:39 PM »
Funnily enough since we have had Hattie, and Barley (lurcher), Tilly (show cocker)'s hunting instincts have really really come out !!!  she tries to help them now when they are trying to hunt !!!  ^_^

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.workingcockers.co.uk
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2006, 11:03:59 PM »
is there an article in 'the Field' mag as opposed to the cocker ch coverage in the Shooting Times a couple of weeks back? there is a very special white and black dog that was photographed by the photographer but dont know if he was/will be featured as thought would be next months magazine. I have some gorgeous pics of him on the last day of the shooting season. he is expecting a visit from us very soon :-*
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2006, 10:54:52 AM »
hi kirsten - the feb 'field' has 2 working cockers on the cover so you can't miss it!

there is a FAB pic of a flying working cocker on page 34 of the mag - i'm no good on colours  ph34r but i would say its more blue roan than black'n'white - and the same on the front cover.  the other working cocker featured must be related to max, and debbie 321's ben, so similar!

if you can't get the mag would be happy to send to you :blink: (but only if you put down that glass of merlot and get back to the book!!!!!! :laugh:)

hx
helen & jarvis x

Offline Babylonian

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2006, 10:58:40 AM »

Have to say right enough in recent months I have come across, quite a few working cockers out on walks, where as before that was very rare.

Indeed my hubby was walking in Milngavie town centre when he saw a woman with a dog so similar to Jed, they both stopped and stared at each other's dogs - the owner asked who our breeder was - and she confirmed her dog was another Wellwood pup - looked a lot like Vahri too from hubby's description :)
Jed's mummy, living in Milngavie.

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2006, 09:10:49 PM »
choccydrop - found The Field's web site - yes - def a blue roan on the cover. The dog that might be pictorially featured hopefully soon, is white with black ticking - very very similar in all respects to my Stella. Many thanks for the kind offer though - I have managed to scrounge an issue - must keep my eyes peeled though in the next few!!

she confirmed her dog was another Wellwood pup ?? Wernffrwd maybe??
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Offline Babylonian

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2006, 11:06:49 PM »

she confirmed her dog was another Wellwood pup ?? Wernffrwd maybe??

Wellwood kennels (Graeme Clelland) - unfortunately hubby isn't as nosy as I am - I would have got the dog's name and age, quizzed her on which dogs were the "parents",  asked her where they walk etc etc - I'm just hoping we see them again - unlike hubby I have no such shyness  :lol:

(maybe they are on the forum? I would have told her about Cockersonline too!)
Jed's mummy, living in Milngavie.

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2006, 11:07:32 PM »
Babylonian - just seen your other post - I understand now - the name of the premises you got you pup from is Wellwood but not the breeders affix? Just that there is a Wellwood affix in cockers too...
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2006, 11:09:33 PM »
yes - nice guy - I managed to track him as the breeder of a dog for someone who had a blue that had been through about 3 homes before she got him. Was great and got the 2 of them in touch with each other. Wonder if that dog is brother to yours - must be about 4 now I think..Still have pics of him somewhere..
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers