Author Topic: will it confuse him??  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Marie

• Site Member
    • http://
will it confuse him??
« on: August 10, 2006, 12:13:31 PM »
my partner is away for the next few days and i would love fin to sleep in my room :luv:.  he always sleeps in the kitchen and would definetly be back there when mark gets home as he is really against fin sleeping in the room >:(

will it confuse fin if i let him sleep with me for a couple of nights?
[span style=\'font-family:Optima\'][span style=\'font-family:Arial\']Marie and Finlay[/font][/span][/span]

Offline Neville

• Site Member
  • Me 13 weeks old
Re: will it confuse him??
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 12:16:53 PM »
Hi

I'm no expert, but i think it will depend on the age of the dog.

If Fin is still a puppy, then i think you may be making problems that you will regret later.  If he's an older dog, then he'll probably be grateful to get back to 'normality' in a few days time and will relish the extra time with you.
Look forward to hearing from you!

Offline Marie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 12:21:15 PM »
he is 15 months old and normally v v good at night -  we never hear a peep out of him until we go down in the morning
[span style=\'font-family:Optima\'][span style=\'font-family:Arial\']Marie and Finlay[/font][/span][/span]

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 12:32:29 PM »
Heart says lovely snuggle in bed with your boy nothing better. Head says hmmm worms can open.
I will just say my heart nearly always rules my head :005:
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 12:44:48 PM »
I have been tempted too when Steve is away. But have decided that the risk of confusing Buddy was just too great.

Think of the problems it would cause if you found it hard to settle Fin back in the kitchen when Mark gets home. Dogs don't see things the way we do, and Fin probably wouldn't associate the treat of sleeping in the bedroom with Mark being away. He's just as likely to think it's because the weather was warm/cold, or with something like what you fed him on that day, if he makes any links at all.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 12:53:41 PM »
my partner is away for the next few days and i would love fin to sleep in my room :luv:.  he always sleeps in the kitchen and would definetly be back there when mark gets home as he is really against fin sleeping in the room >:(

If he gets too confused, how would mark feel about sleeping in the kitchen when he gets home??  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Marie

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 01:45:28 PM »
good idea - i'd rather share my room with finners than mark any day - i'll suggest it!! :lol:

Offline Neville

• Site Member
  • Me 13 weeks old
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 01:55:28 PM »

If he gets too confused, how would mark feel about sleeping in the kitchen when he gets home??  :005:
I think that's a fantasic idea - i take back what i said earlier - let Fin sleep with you, OH in the kitchen.  I'll do the same with Neville and OH and we can compare notes on here! :005:
Look forward to hearing from you!

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 10:45:06 PM »
Getting back on track here  :shades:  I really dont think it is a good idea - Fin that is  ;)  Best just to stick to the normal routine, although it is very tempting  :lol: :005:

Stuff it I'm with you both, OH's in the kitchen, lovely snuggly comfy Blue upstairs with me, ahhhhhhhhh :005: :005:

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 10:47:34 PM »
Getting back on track here  :shades:  I really dont think it is a good idea - Fin that is  ;)  Best just to stick to the normal routine, although it is very tempting  :lol: :005:

Stuff it I'm with you both, OH's in the kitchen, lovely snuggly comfy Blue upstairs with me, ahhhhhhhhh :005: :005:
:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline georgie05

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 10:48:55 PM »
Funny I was thinking the same thing tonight - would it really be bad for just one night ?  I don't mind putting OH in kitchen if Georgie doesn't settle again  :005:

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 11:27:05 PM »
Let me tell you a little story about my Ronald.

Last May we lost our beloved Border Collie.  I was distraught and on my own as hubby was working in London for a few weeks so I let Ronald share my room.  As I say that was last May and despite us trying our hardest we have never been able to make him sleep anywhere since.  He wakes up in the night wandering around, manages to get himself stuck in other rooms and starts barking, then starts scratching in the night banging against my wardrobe doors and waking me up every single night.  He also snores really really loudly, stinks and starts knawing his feet which is really annoying.

Also, if at anytime during the day I go into a different room without him he starts whining and barking.  This is all because I let him sleep in my room for a few nights.

I don't know what I am going to do when I have my baby as I could really do with him not waking the baby up when I have just got it off to sleep or waking me up.

Ronald is an old dog and I thought he would settle back into his routine OK but I was wrong.  He won't even sleep just outside my bedroom door, he starts barking.  Seriously we are up with him 3 or 4 times a night. >:(
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 08:45:30 AM »
OMG Miche - that certainly is a problem.  Especially with a baby on the way  ph34r

I cant offer any meaningful advice but I hope that somebody else can help.

Actually, I wonder if OH could sleep on the sofa with him & then perhaps gradually make his way back upstairs.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 08:55:41 AM »
This seems to be a worrying trend.  :shades:  Do all these OHs know what is being planned for them??  - all sleeping in the kitchen or on the sofa while the dog snores it's head off on their comfy bed  :005:  Seriously though, Ronald sounds a nightmare - not sure how you could change this behaviour once it has become established especially in an older dog.  I think Coco will be staying in her bed downstairs!!  No more room on my bed anyway as there are usually 1, 2 or 3 cats on there already.  :005:  Realistically though, do we want the dog to sleep with us for their benefit or ours?  If they are fine in their own bed downstairs, I would be incined to quit while I'm ahead and stick to the routine.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 10:59:41 AM »
 :lol: :lol:, the men just don't know what they have got coming have they!.

Poor Ronald, after I spoke about him behind his back here on COL :005:, I looked at him sleeping last night and smoothed his head.  As he is deaf and almost completely blind he wondered what the heck was happening, jumped up from his sleep and hit his head of the radiator and fell straight back down again.

He only actually woke us up once last night so I think what I am going to do is try to encourage him to sleep outiside my bedroom door instead of in the bedroom - that is going to be hard enough but it might work.

Ronald won't sleep anywhere with hubby as it is me he has to be with.  He doesn't bark if I leave the house but if I go into a room he HAS to be with me.  He's 15 and going a bit doolally and that makes it harder work.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx