Author Topic: Purinas Bakers Complete  (Read 11710 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« on: February 24, 2004, 11:32:45 AM »
I stupidly ran out of Autarky yesterday :roll:  so had to nip to Asda to try and get a kibble as a temporary measure, it took me ages looking through all the different varietys, I decided on Bakers complete, I gave it to Indie last nite and was totally amazed as she ate the whole bowl in seconds :shock:  which is so not like Indie.  I gave her a bowl this morning too and again she woolfed the lot :shock:  :)   Now I am thinking of changing her on a permanent basis and wanted your opinion on the quality of this food :?   Does anyone feed their dog it?  if so, how do you find it?  I need to build Indie up a  bit, as looking at the dogs we saw at the show, she is very much on the slight side :roll:  I need to know that what I am giving her is going to give her all the goodness she needs, so any comments good/bad would be helpful :)                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 11:40:44 AM »
Hi Emma

I used to feed my three on Bakers they loved it all though Douglas was getting to be a bit fussy with it.  It does have a high protein level and lots of additives so not 100% natural - no other problems with it though and the other two really enjoyed it.  I had some free samples of James Wellbeloved so I tried this on the Boys and they all eat it with great relish. It is probably about £10 or so dearer than Bakers but 100% natural.  I would of liked to of put them on Burns but my Pet Shop doesn't supply it unfortunately.

JMT                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 11:47:36 AM »
Weve put Nell on Burns, and i,m realy impressed with it!!

Although its dear ,i think in the long run it will work out cheaper, as were giving her less than the JWB and the Autarky.

Also less waste from her nether regions, and a lot smaller if you know what i mean.  :wink:                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 12:25:52 PM »
Thanks for that Dessie, I have just read the whole list of ingredients and was shocked to find it had artificial colours and preservatives in it :shock:  :(   I have already tried the JWB with Indie and the Nutro and she just does not like them :roll:  even if I add butchers tripe, she still picks out the meat and leaves the kibble :?   Its back to the drawing board for me then :roll:  I did see a moist complete food in pets at home, I will nip in there and check for any artificial watsits, unless anyone can give me some other alternatives to try, shes really not that keen on just plain kibble though :?   I will save the Bakers and use them as little treats instead :)   I don't want her filled up with additives.                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 12:35:27 PM »
Emma the more you change her food, the fussier she is going to get.  :?

I would choose a food and stick to it!!

mum                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline gerry

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 12:39:32 PM »
Hi Emma

Always interested in other cockers feeding habits as Rigsby is sooo fussy :roll:

I tried some food called Nature Diet the other day and he ate it all (which believe me is a miracle).  Its a wet complete food packed in a tray and is a natural food.  Definitely try it if you can get hold of it.

I have also discovered another way to get him to eat his dry food (Science Diet).  I lightly fry a small piece of lambs liver in olive oil, then mash it down to a paste consistency (this is like a recipe!), then mix with the dry food to coat it.  Rigsby even crys for this one!

Gerry                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 12:39:36 PM »
Emma,

You should have said, Billy is on Autarky I could have dropped some off for you, give me a shout if you need some as I nipping up to my sisters tonight.

Michelle                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 01:13:06 PM »
Emma your welcome I was surprised and although my boys loved it and they have been having it for a year I thought I'd change them over to JWB and thankfully they really enjoy it.  I'm not one for giving them plain biscuits everyday - their breakfast is usually just the biscuits but at tea time I like to give them something in it - sardines, nature diet, grated cheese, minced beef or minced lamb etc and they really love meal times. They also get their raw chicken wings and go mad for them.

As your Mum said you will only make Indie more fussy if you chop and change her food around.  Are you coming to Crufts  ?? If so why not pop around to the different stalls and get some free samples.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004, 02:40:39 PM »
Emma the more you change her food, the fussier she is going to get.  :?  

I would choose a food and stick to it!!

mum

:lol:  Do as your Mum says, Emma...... you know Mums are usually right ! :wink:

I made the mistake of chopping and changing Jimmy's food as he was so fussy, a brief honeymoon period with a new food would be quickly followed by a return to pickiness in no time.

I'd give the Naturediet a try though (Pets At Home sell it), it worked with Jimmy. He eats nearly every meal now, although the change did also coincide with the arrival of greedyguts Misty. :lol: He wasn't overkeen on her polishing off her own food then starting on his. :roll: Even though he eats double what he used to do he still looks the same, sizewise. I wouldn't worry about Indie looking on the lean side, like Jimmy she's probably naturally that way .

I've never used Bakers Complete but am a bit suspicious about the way it looks, so many different colours makes me think it's that way to impress us owners. Dogs wouldn't give two hoots about it's appearance really as long as it tasted good.                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 03:29:30 PM »
I think the way Michele described Bakers Complete to me once was totally right. It is made to look nice to the human eye so we buy it  :wink:  a clever marketing ploy, when really it is full of additives, so I suppose if your dog is quite naturally hyper anyway, this might just add to it  :?
Emma/all who have picky eaters, I really do sympathise with you. I have tried ALL complete foods  :oops:  and get the same reaction with all, as Colin said the "Honeymoon" period doesn't last long and before I know it I'm back to square one  :roll:  Now I am sticking to the JWB which I have used for some time now, and I'm either adding Naturdiet or the AMP tripe which she really seems to like. I think I will just have to live with the fact that she's not a greedy dog. For the 2 weeks in the summer when I look after my friends cocker Roana it is pure heaven as she eats ALL her food  :wink:  I think the element of competition is good for her. So hopefully when cocker number 2 comes along...she'll think twice about walking away from her bowl and leaving anything in it  :lol:                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2004, 03:47:31 PM »
Thanks for all your replies :D  

Michelle thanks for the offer, but mum has some Autarky :D  not sure whether to continue with it though, as she seems to gone off it :roll:

Maybe the answer is to get another dog :wink:  :lol:

Mum has picked up some nature diet for me today, so will try her on that, I feel such a bad mummy, as I am probably to blame for her fussiness :oops:  too many choices when she was a pup, if she wouldn't eat one thing, I would try her with something else :roll:  I know dogs will eat when they are really hungry, but she does need some weight on her, don't think I can't do the chicken wings I would worry too much :roll:   Ohhhh I know one thing, I wont be making the same mistake with cocker number two :wink:                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2004, 04:37:15 PM »
I think the way Michele described Bakers Complete to me once was totally right. It is made to look nice to the human eye so we buy it  :wink:  a clever marketing ploy,

A friend of mine who runs a pet shop told me for all the additives etc in Bakers you might as well feed them MacDonalds every day :?

Emma, you haven't been bad trying Indie with different things, its an easy thing to fall into, but I would try and do as suggested and find a food that is good and wholesome and stick with it. :D Perhaps mixing the Nature Diet in will do the trick :wink:                    

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2004, 04:46:27 PM »
Having two cockers definitely stops the pickiness that's for sure.  So  getting Cocker number 2  I guess will cure the problem for you!!  :lol:

Candy used to eat every other day now she's as greedy as anything and looking very chunky these days.

I've just changed to Burgess SuperDog Sensitive and the dogs are MAD for it!!  It's the lamb and rice variety.  I checked the back of the pack before buying it, as you know I won't touch anything with colourings or additives and it's very bland - no wheat, gluten, soya, egg, artificial colours etc etc.  The ingredients are identical to JWB  but as I say, it's half the price.  At first I was a bit concerned (odd bowel movements) but this week they seem to be doing just fine.

What's even more shocking is that they are eating it without Nature Diet added which is simply amazing!!

I've bought some AMP tripe to try and put some weight on Georgia as she's very lean - for those of you who have seen him - a lot like Jimmy  but it's still in the freezer.  If only I could remember to take it out and defrost it!  :roll:   Didn't get on too well with the chicken wings so I had them for dinner instead - cooked them first though!!  :wink:

Loraine  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2004, 07:12:14 PM »
Lottie has Naturediet and loves it, having said that she'll eat anything :wink:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline mrs hamster

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2004, 09:25:44 PM »
I got Burns from their web site it was delivered the next day and works out at under 50p a day two feed 2 dogs!!
Although due to Bon Bon's colitis she is now on hills prescription but our 7 month old Border Collie, Barney loves it.
Our dog trainer says that Bakers complete could have a lot to do with with Barneys early behavaviral probs, far to much protein and artificial bits etc.
Good Luck
Jane                    
Dull women have immaculate homes