Author Topic: Purinas Bakers Complete  (Read 11709 times)

Offline markjcage

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2004, 04:05:41 PM »
We have the fussiest eater in the dog world.

She even takes roast chicken breast delicately from your hand and carries it to another room before eating it.

We've tried almost every type of dry complete food but at last she has decided to eat Purina Pro Plan, on its own, with no meat.
It's amazing!

Having said that, if she's true to form, she'll do exactly the opposite to what I say and won't touch her dinner tonight!                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2004, 09:30:47 AM »

A friend of mine who runs a pet shop told me for all the additives etc in Bakers you might as well feed them MacDonalds every day :?  

Emma, you haven't been bad trying Indie with different things, its an easy thing to fall into, but I would try and do as suggested and find a food that is good and wholesome and stick with it. :D Perhaps mixing the Nature Diet in will do the trick :wink:

:shock: No wonder shes enjoying it :wink:  Looks like i've got a little junk food cocker :wink:  Michele thanks for that, when you put it in those terms, it certainly hits home!  As I have tried the Nutro and the JWB before, without success :roll:  I will pop to the pet store and have a good look through all the other possibilities :?                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2004, 10:25:24 AM »
I think what you will find though Emma, is whatever you change Indie to give her a few days/weeks and she'll go off it just like all the rest  :wink:
To date I have tried, JWB, Nutro, Pedigree, Purina & Bakers  :? I have definitley found it doesn't seem to be the dried food that makes the difference but what I add to it to encourage her to eat it  :) So I have decided to stick to a good dried food one that is readily available (JWB) and then add the AMP products as there is quite a wide variety in these which adds a bit of variation  :wink:  
I am also alot tougher. Butty gets NO treats if she does not eat her brekkie/dinner  :? The funny thing is she is actually very clever because she comes to me and looks at me with those doe eyes as if to say "can I get a biscuit mummy?" and I say "go and eat your dinner"  :twisted: believe it or not this actually works  :shock: she knows EXACTLY what i mean and she goes and eats it all  :roll:
If its any inspiration to you Butty is doing really well with the AMP products i've never had so many clean food bowls  :wink:                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2004, 11:20:58 AM »
:D Thanks Gilly, it does make me feel better when I see its not just me who has a faddy eater :roll:  I guess I do give Indie too many treats and too much of human food, like toast and vege and pasta, rice etc  But I just cant see her going without anything atall :?  will stop being such a softie with her :oops:  :)                    

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2004, 12:11:46 PM »
We feed both our pups on Nutro dried and JWB moist.....Jessie - our greedy cocker - always eats everything we offer her...even if its sticks, leaves, paper etc..however Saffi - our VVV Fussy Westie - is not motivated by food at all. She gets 10 mins to eat her meal (Jessie has finished in less than a minute!!) and if shes not eaten it its taken up. We also restrict treats so she realises she has missed a meal and maybe tomorrow she will remember being hungry and eat it all. (This sometimes works but sometimes doesnt!) People say we are too strict..we dont allow any human food (unless its cheese or liver for training) but both dogs look great and we mostly have very clean shiny bowls now  :D                    

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2004, 02:24:23 PM »
Quote from: "
I am also alot tougher. Butty gets NO treats if she does not eat her brekkie/dinner  :? The funny thing is she is actually very clever because she comes to me and looks at me with those doe eyes as if to say "can I get a biscuit mummy?" and I say "go and eat your dinner"  :twisted: believe it or not this actually works  :shock: she knows EXACTLY what i mean and she goes and eats it all  :roll:
If its any inspiration to you Butty is doing really well with the AMP products i've never had so many clean food bowls  :wink:[/quote

I thought it was just me!!  I also tell Georgia to 'Go and eat your food!' or 'Finish your dinner' in my stern voice AND SHE DOES.   :shock:  I finally getting back some control!!!  :D                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Phil

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2004, 05:44:28 PM »
This discussion has raised a good point.

Brin is currently on Purina Beta puppy (is this alright?) as that is what he was on when we got him. Recently he got bored with just dry food so we mix in a bit of Pedigree tinned puppy food and now he nearly always eats it all. I kind of have a bad feeling about Pedigree food. Is this unwarrented and is what I'm doing ok?

Phil                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2004, 06:10:46 PM »
This discussion has raised a good point.  

I kind of have a bad feeling about Pedigree food. Is this unwarrented and is what I'm doing ok?

Phil

I think everything in moderation and it makes it more palatable for the dogs. I have used tinned Pedigree Chum mixed in with their dried food for years (not a lot) and interchange with Butchers Tripe and other varieties of tinned dog food.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2004, 10:00:27 AM »
Just a quick update!!

Despite everyones good advise, I was desperate to get Indie to put some weight on :oops:  and I continued with the Bakers, she has been absolutely fine on it :D  no hyperactiveness and she looks foward to feeding times and cleans the bowl every single time :D   She has definately put quite a lot of weight on :D  which is just great 8)  She is a totally different dog to be honest, in fact she is much calmer then when on the Autarky :?   I know really that I shouldn't be feeding her this type of food and it does go against what I wanted for Indie, ie a naturaly food :roll:   But she is eating it and enjoying it, gaining weight and she is not hyper :)  

I hope no-one thinks bad of me for giving her an "unatural" food but I just wanted her to gain some weight, not for looks or because it suited me, but for her, looking back the tiny amount she was eating she must have been really hungry :(                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2004, 10:21:56 AM »
Emma I don't think you should have anything to feel guilty about  :wink: As long as you and Indie are happy that is the main thing  :wink:  :)                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2004, 01:06:30 PM »
Hi Emma
I'm sure that nobody thinks bad of you - what suits one dog doesn't suit another and Bakers is obviously suitiing Indie.  It is not always the case that the so called premium foods that are better.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2004, 09:35:00 PM »
Don't feel bad Emma, there must be thousands of dogs out there, who like Indie find its what suits them best :) , otherwise Bakers would've gone out of business  :wink:                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2004, 09:49:56 PM »
:) Thank you so much ladies for the words of support :)   I know its not an ideal situation :roll:  but its one I will go with for the short term, until I can get miss fussydrawers into an eating pattern :?                    

ziggy

Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2004, 10:39:08 PM »
just read everyones reply very interesting,,i always feed jasper on bakers,didn,t realise it had such a high protein content ,he also does get fed alot of pulses as the vet suggested it was good for keeping them calm along with pasta and rice,will seriously reconsider the bakers,,love the line,,,you may as well feed them mcdonalds,,no big macs for my boy,he,s a big mac himself,,tee hee,great advice cheers ziggy x :wink:                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2004, 02:21:50 PM »
:? Another update!!

Yes the honeymoon period is over :roll:  and we are back to square one again :roll:   I sent off for a Burns sample, she wouldn't even put it in her mouth :?   She will eat the naturediet but don't know how long that will last :?   Seriousley considering barf now, (except the chicken wings :wink: )  

If I can give any new puppie owners any advise it would be choose a food and STICK to it :wink:

I can't understand why she is like this, as she is hungary, shes forever after what I'm eating, will try and whizz past my legs to get in the garage at the bins too :?   But will not eat whats in front of her :evil:   At one point I was having to leaving little handfulls here and there, as I found that if the food was on the floor, she would eat it :?   Maybe she likes to hunt for her meal :roll: