Author Topic: Purinas Bakers Complete  (Read 11708 times)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2004, 03:41:51 PM »
Hi Emma

an update on the AMP Tripe for you  :wink:  Butty...a notorious fussy eater is thriving on it  :D  even though its vile and looks like something you would scrape of the road  :lol:  :wink:  it gets my vote.....at the moment I am sticking to the JWB and adding the raw tripe...have you thought of using this  :?: Its the ONLY food that Butty ever licks the bowl clean with  :wink:                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2004, 06:06:07 PM »
Emma, a friend of mine got round her dog not eating by tipping the bowl out onto the floor  :roll:  another thing she tried with success was after she'd had her tea she would put the dogs dinner on her plate  (I know you doggy lot won't even bat an eyelid at this idea  :D ) and the dog wolfed it down.                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2004, 06:34:58 PM »
Emma, a friend of mine got round her dog not eating by tipping the bowl out onto the floor  :roll:

I used to do this sometimes when Jimmy was a picky eater. Other methods I used included leaving a treasure trail of kibble leading to his bowl. Jimmy's favourite was when I'd fill a lidless plastic bottle with kibble and he'd throw it around munching up the food. The things you have to do. :roll:  :lol:                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2004, 07:45:52 PM »
Hi Gilly

I hadn't thought of the tripe, I am not sure I could stomach it :roll:  I can't even touch ham at the moment without feeling sick :roll: , anyone would think im pregnant :?  But, if as you say Butty is thriving on it and I know you  also had problems with Butty's eating then I may well give it a try :wink:

Michelle, I will try the dinner plate thing this evening :)

I guess in one way its a good thing that it hasn't lasted long with the Bakers I do want her off it anyway :wink:   Now I need to find a dry food that she will eat :roll:   I never give her just plain biscuits anyway, she always has something added, be it butchers tripe, or pilchards and more recently naturdiet, but no matter how much I mix it in, she still manages to leave the kibble in the bowl :twisted:   So far we have tried, Nutro, JWB, Autarky (lasted the longest) Burns and Bakers, anyone got any other suggestions for a natural food, i'm running out of ideas :?

Thank you for all your suggestions :)

PS: Mum, don't get your knitting needles out :wink:  And YES I admit you were RIGHT (for once :wink: ) I should have listened to your advise re feeding Miss Fussydrawers :roll:  These things are sent to try us :evil:                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2004, 08:44:14 PM »
Hi Emma

I know exactly how you're feeling :roll: .  When we got Morgan, his breeder had him on Beta Puppy, soaked and mixed with a tiny bit of tinned food.  I think I've said this before but he used to look at it as if it was radioactive - literally backed away as I put it on the floor :cry: .  He'd look up as if to say "Okay, what else is on the menu tonight??".  In fact the only way I could get him to eat it was dry.  I had a ball that you filled with the kibble and he rolled it about scoffing the bits as he went along.  I changed him onto JWB for a while and he liked it for a couple of weeks and then went off it.  

Then I noticed that every time we went to a particular friends house he'd go straight to their dog's bowl (brave boy as the dog is a Boxer :shock: ) and ate every scrap.  Turned out to be Beta Lamb and Rice so back we went and that's where we've stayed.  He's still a grazer - his bowl is on the floor all day and he picks at it (not good, I know) but at least he's getting some nourishment :wink: .

The problem we have now is that Cooper wants to eat Adult Beta Lamb and Rice and Morgan wants Puppy Royal Canin.  I put the bowls down and if I'm not watching they swap!!!   :roll:   :wink:  :D

Cooper is a stark contrast to Morgan - talk about the mouth that never said no.  

I hope you find something that suits Indie but you might find that, like Morgan, she just doesn't do big meals  :wink:  :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2004, 09:25:07 PM »
Hi Emma

The problem we have now is that Cooper wants to eat Adult Beta Lamb and Rice and Morgan wants Puppy Royal Canin.  I put the bowls down and if I'm not watching they swap!!!   :roll:   :wink:  :D

That used to really frustrate me, Candy was at the time on JWB and Georgia was on Purina and they were forever swapping bowls.  In the end I didn't know who had eaten what! It was so much easier when they went on to the same food.

Emma you could try Indie with the tripe but be warned it STINKS!!                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline milo's mum

• Site Member
    • http://www.pearshape.co.uk
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2004, 10:25:08 PM »
I'll second that!

It really does stink but they absolutley love it. It's also great for putting condition on them. The Prize Choice 2kg bags don't seem as bad as some of the others on the market.

I've had some problem with our little boy going off his grub. So far have tried Pedigree, Butcher's tripe, beta, nature diet and JWB. I've dug my heels in with the last 2.

He doesn't always eat the nature diet (breakfast) but always eats the JWB (tea). with some cooked tripe and a bit of tinned fish. The remarkable thing is that his breath doesn't smell after all that.                    
Jackie, Steve and Milo.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2004, 11:28:48 PM »
I agree...since Buttons has been on the Tripe her breath doesn't smell at all  :)                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2004, 09:48:40 PM »
Update for you on Indies eating habits............................

Well as you all know shes a fussydrawers, she went off the Bakers, thank gawd!!  Went out today to make a final decision on a dry food, that I will stick to NO MATTER WHAT!!   :wink:   Went to the pet store and scoured all the lables, anyway decided to put her on Hills Science Plan :D   I will mix it with eiether, butchers, tripe or naturdiet on a rota :wink:  

Have just opened the bag and gave her a few dry kibbles, she sniffed and walked away at first :roll:  then came back and took one, then another and another, I put the bag in down, and thought no more about it, until I heard russle russle crunch crunch, there she was, in the cupboard head in the bag NICKING it :lol:  :lol:  Lets hope, she continues to enjoy it!! :wink:

Does anyone feed their dog Hills? Would be pleased to hear of your experiences with the food, good or bad :?                    

Offline PennyB

Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2004, 12:06:55 AM »
All mine are on Burns (including the cats), and its great as there's less poo to pick up as well, and was going to also give some naturediet but it gives Wilf the runs for some reason. Hills has all those additives in as well. Burns works out cheaper than Hills as well (especially the cat food).                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2004, 12:20:09 AM »
All mine are on Burns (including the cats), and its great as there's less poo to pick up as well, and was going to also give some naturediet but it gives Wilf the runs for some reason. Hills has all those additives in as well. Burns works out cheaper than Hills as well (especially the cat food).

Thanks Penny, but have tried her with Burns :roll:  she wont even put it in her mouth, spits it out in disgust :?   Mind you from the whiff of that fish one, can't say I blame her!

I'm a bit confused as I thought Hills was a natural diet, having no artificial flavours or colours etc!! Or have I mis-read your post :?                    

Offline PennyB

Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2004, 09:55:44 AM »
Sorry I forgot Hills are doing natural food stuff. My two are on minibites in the Burns and love it. Have you tried csj stuff (they are very generous with their samples): http://www.csjk9.com                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2004, 10:28:20 AM »
I'm not a big fan of Hills either though I know they have introduced a "natural" range which might be better - their other range tends to be high in protein, high in additives & expensive compared to other brands. But it's what suits your dog really - I wouldn't feed Hills but if it suits Indie, then that's fine :)                    
Jane

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2004, 11:31:59 AM »
I'm not a big fan of Hills either though I know they have introduced a \"natural\" range which might be better - their other range tends to be high in protein, high in additives & expensive compared to other brands. But it's what suits your dog really - I wouldn't feed Hills but if it suits Indie, then that's fine :)

Thanks Jane, I thought it was a good food :?   Especially as its so expensive :roll:   Well, will see how she gets on with it!  I think Indie is gonna be one of those dogs that you have to chop n change foods with, to prevent boredom :?   Shes like the Egon Ronay of dog food :lol:  

Will let you know, how she gets on :wink:                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2004, 01:19:49 PM »
Emma send Indie round to me for a few days, i'll soon get her eating.  :wink:  But dont chop and change her! she will only get worse.  :?                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~