Author Topic: Nervous  (Read 995 times)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Nervous
« on: August 19, 2004, 08:51:03 AM »
Alfie managed to pull a dinning room chair over yesterday which came down with such a clatter it scared the bejesus out of him :( So much so he released his anal glands all over the place (phew what a stnk :( )

Poor mite was so scared he took ages to calm down, he wasnt hurt thank g*d just petrified.

Since then hes become very nervous of any noise :( Last night whilst cooking tea, he got so distressed he went up to his bed in the bedroom and lasts nights walk became a sit as any car going by scared him. He's the same today, cowering and moving well out of the way as breakfast was being made and cultery and cups were being clattered.

This is so not like him that Im really upset myself. I dont know how best to deal with it. Every time he jumps and cowers I so just want to pick him up and cuddle him but Im worried that I shall reinforce the behaviour (Gunnar was the biggest wimp on earth because I fussed him so much as a pup) I feel so daft not knowing how best to deal with it or even if Im worrying over nothing and that he will be fine in a day or two  :unsure:

Anyone got any words of advice?
Caroline and Alfie

Offline PennyB

Nervous
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 09:31:51 AM »
What about using some of the Bachs rescue remedy:

Calm down spray
If you get Bach Flower Remedies 'Rescue remedy' and 'Star of Bethlehem' put two drops of each in a 30 mL bottle, top up with filtered/bottled water, (never tap water) put into spray bottle and spray it around him. Spray him 3/4 x per day. Just a light misting is all you need, don't soak him. It will help calm him and the Star of Bethlehem will work on the trauma

or just put a little Bachs rescue remedy in his water or in his food to help calm him down.

I agree about being reluctant not to reinforce his feeling of fear but its difficult I know. May be try if you can to just carry on as normal.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

ziggy

Nervous
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 10:05:23 AM »
aahh!! poor alfie,he,s really given himself a shock,,i,m sure he,ll be back to his normal cocker happy self soon ;)

poor you it does upset you when your baby is upset,x

all the best

ziggy and jasper ;) xxxx

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Nervous
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 10:08:25 AM »
I think you are right not to fuss him too much ( although I know you will probably want to ! :P ) some puppy's are more fearful of other's and Alfie might just be one of the fearful one's.

Evie still get's nervous of paper bags and traffic cones so whenever I see one coming up I just talk in a sing song voice telling it's ok and if she's a good girl she'll get a treat, now this always works. ( who said cocker owner's were mad! :D )

Try not to worry to much he's still only a baby and learning so much everyday.

I also agree with Penny about the rescue remedy I always have it in ( for me as well as the girls )

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline vicking

• Site Member
Nervous
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 09:45:51 PM »
:) What are these remedys Penny?what are they used for and where do i get them? :)  
VICKI , MIA AND ROSCOE X X X

Offline sashal

• Site Member
    • http://www.sashal.co.uk
Nervous
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 09:46:14 PM »
Hi Caroline

This is my first  post after registering on the forum.  :P
Sorry to hear about your boy, how old is he? I'm sure he will be ok. You are doing the right thing by ignoring his behaviour as such. If you fuss him when he is scared he will think because "mum" is fussing me that must mean there really is something to be frightened of. Just keep on as normal and try not to give him eye contact when he is reacting to a noise. I'm sure you'll find that with the reassurance that his mum is acting normally he will soon forget that he was ever scared of a noise.

Once he has stopped reacting to the noise leave it a minute or so and then fuss him and have a little play.

Hope this helps  :)

Alex
Sashal GWPs & Cocker Spaniels
www.sashal.co.uk

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Nervous
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 10:54:02 PM »
Thanks for the words of advice guys :)

He was very bad this morning talk about velcro'd to my leg :( But i still took him to the park and although it took three times as long and twice as many treats, we got there in one piece with not too much whining. Coming home he was like a rabbit out of a trap, but I kept stopping and making him sit till he calmed down before we moved on, and I think it must have worked because second walk was easier and the third he was back to enjoying himself :)

Penny I shall get hold of the remedies when Im next in the chemist. I have never used them personally but I know of many people who swear by them - thanks for the tip :)

Lizzy, the thing which made me worried is Alfie is by no means timid usually. He really is quite bold and fearless. Hes was trying to do the stairs at 10weeks and after more then one tumble conqured them on Tuesday :) Crikey the way he usually tears around the house crashing into everything I was thinking i would need to get him a crash helmet :) And today he stood his ground when an inquisitive great dane came over for a looksie :) So for him to become so jumpy and clingy, really bought home how scared he had been and of course I was between a rock and a hard place as to whether to comfort him.

But anyway looks like the crises has passed and hes back to "normal". Once again thanks for the support

Caroline and Alfie

Offline PennyB

Nervous
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 11:11:43 PM »
:) What are these remedys Penny?what are they used for and where do i get them? :)
You can buy Bach flower remedies from any health food type shop or that well known chemists (the larger ones). Rescue remedy is the most popular. Here's a link that may help and if you just search in google for Bachs flower remedies you'll get more info:

Bach flower remedies

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline vicking

• Site Member
Nervous
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 09:48:04 PM »
;) Thanksfor that Penny : :)  
VICKI , MIA AND ROSCOE X X X