Author Topic: In Same Room  (Read 725 times)

Offline dianej

• Site Member
In Same Room
« on: August 21, 2004, 03:00:37 PM »
Hi everyone,

Congratulations Wendy on your new arrival     :D

I was reading your topic & it occurred to me that I may have a problem coming up.

I am due to pick my baby up on Tuesday, soooooo cant wait!   :lol:

I have chosen our utility room for Jodi to be placed & trained.  I do not have a crate.  The thing is that we work from home on the telephones & the utility room is in the same space as our basement where we work.  Although we have a stable door to seperate the room.

Could I ask anyone do they agree that it will be a problem if is she is in there with the door shut that she will create if she can hear my voice (on telphone etc)??  

Originally I thought it would be a reassurance that she knows I am close by, but what I have read this may not be the case?

Giving your experience, do you think I may have a problem or do you think she will be Ok.

Also I am wise not to get a crate or are there more pro's to use one than not.

Look forward to your replies

Diane

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
In Same Room
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 09:22:26 PM »
Hi Diane,

Do you mean when your dog is older or from when you bring her home?

If it's the latter I don't think you would be able to leave her alone for very long at first, young puppie's need alot of attention and if she were left in the utility room for too long and could hear you then I think she could play up.

Could you not put a crate in your office for Jodie to go in when you are working and can't be ' with ' her, so she can see you and she know's you are there?

Crate's are really only to be used in short spell's and can be very helpful in training aspects, especially toilet training, but they  are not to be used for long spells of time, ie more than 2 hours at a time.

Sorry if this isn't much help but I was a little unclear as to what you meant! ;)

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
In Same Room
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 09:49:03 PM »
Diane, do you mean you are intending to have the pup in another room from you from the word go?

Please excuse me if I have the wrong end of the stick, but a new pup needs company, play and attention - lots of it. Shutting him away either in a crate or another room should only be for short periods and at that age, very short periods. Having the pup in another room you wont get to know her or her you so how will you even begin to toilet train etc?

Is there some reason that she cant be in the same room as you? My pup is always in the same room as me, and the majoriety of my work is from home on the pc and phones. I can keep an eye on him and constantly play and interact with him as I work. In fact if he sneaks off upstairs to his bed Im not far behind checking on what hes getting up too.

As too a crate well thats a personal choice. I used to be anti crate but have been converted :) If used in the proper manner they are a god send. They are not a place to keep a pup all day just to be taken out when suits

Sorry if I have taken your posting wrong and I hope I have, maybe you can clarify?

Caroline and Alfie

Offline dianej

• Site Member
In Same Room
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 10:09:23 AM »
Thanks for your replies.

I have no intention of shutting her up in the utility room.  My concern was that for certain short times I have to concentrate on phoning & it suddenly occured to me after reading a couple of topics on this site that it may be a problem that if she hears my voice but could not see me that she would play up.

I doubt very much if I could resist her for 10 mins let alone an hour, but just one of those things that pop into your head as I want her to be happy & everything to be right for her & have no intention of leaving her.

I was hoping it would integrate nicely with working from home & having that added bonus of interacting with her whenever possible.

I know probably that I'm being silly even putting the original topic on, but it popped in my head and thought I'd air it.

Thanks you two for your replies.

Diane

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
In Same Room
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 02:22:37 PM »
Diane, thanks for clarifying. I honestly didnt think thats what you meant seeing as you have seemed to have done your research on getting a pup :)

And the only silly question is one that unasked :)

The wonderfull thing about 8 week old pups are that they sleep a lot :) I found, and I guess that most here have, that after a 20 minute play after feeding they conk out for a few hours, to waken to repeat the cycle so I think you will have plenty of time to get on with your calls in peace. As to whether to crate her or put her in another room at this time is a personal choice and one that needs to be worked out between you and her. Alfie will sleep happily by my feet while Im busy working and now hes getting up a bit, can amuse himself without too much mischief with his toys or best of all a plastic coke bottle :) I only crate him now if Im leaving the house or need to wash the floor

I guess that you are going to have to play it by ear and see what works best for everyone - Jodie included

Not long to go now, I bet you are all excited :)

Caroline and Alfie