Author Topic: Toilet Training  (Read 1040 times)

Offline dianej

• Site Member
Toilet Training
« on: August 26, 2004, 12:24:27 PM »
Hi Everyone

Still on cloud nine with Jodi coming home.

I do have a question though, if anyone has any suggestions.  :huh:

I know its very early yet but, when I take her outside she has a play etc and noses around and then stays close to my legs & it does not occur to her to "go".  :rolleyes:  She comes in & almost immediately goes on the paper.   <_<  I know she is a darling just to do that I couldnt really ask for more at this stage.  But...is there anything I can do to help her realize that outside is "best"

Diane   :D  

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Toilet Training
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 12:52:34 PM »
I stopped putting paper down for Alfie on day two. He had been paper trained and I wanted him to use the garden so we spent all his waking time in the garden and as soon as he went I praised him like mad - really made a fuss. Also if you say "wee wees" (or be quick or whatever) constantly while they go, they soon associate the words with toileting. He soon got the idea and started to use the garden nearly everytime :)

Not having paper down mean I got through a lot of kitchen towel in the first two weeks, but any mishaps were wiped up without comment. (having a laminate floor was a g*d send) :)

I know some people move the paper to the door and then move it outside and then take it away altogether with good results as well so maybe that would be worth a try

Good luck and I dont think you ever come off cloud nine - even after a week of interrupted sleep :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline PennyB

Toilet Training
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 01:07:38 PM »
I didn't use paper at all as even with that there's always mess and it can sometimes take longer to housetrain them (plus th eadded disadvantage is that if you put a newpape ron the floor for anothe rreason they may be inclined to go on that). You'll find as time goes on the mess you have gets nearer the door anyway as she gets th epicture but can't quite get there in time.

Just keep taking her out at very regular intervals is all that can be done. It will take a while and sometimes don't expect to be fully housetrained until they are about 6 months. They have very short concentration spans and small bladders at this age!
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Toilet Training
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 01:19:46 PM »
I never used paper with any of mine. Lots of praise for good behaviour. Put them out if there was an accident to show them where they should have gone. Put them out every hour and stayed with them and praise a performance and put them out shortly after a meal and straight after a sleep or play and at bed time....come to mention it we spent alot of time outside!

When it clicks also depends on the dog. My first one only had a couple of mishaps then it clicked for day and night, second one was dry within 2 weeks, but Penny was 5 mths before it worked. (we nicknamed her PennyPiddles because it took so long, but I think it was because she is much more nervous than the other 2 dogs and this somehow affected her).

Good luck with your pup,
From Karen  ;)  
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Toilet Training
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 02:26:46 PM »
We had Finley since last Friday - he is doing very well in the toilet area he now almost asks to go out.   I take him out every hour and especially when he wakes up with the command lets go and do 'jimmies' our word for toilet - he seems to know already what it means and goes straight out and does it.  We still have the paper down in his puppy pen in the kitchen but to date he has only done wee on it once and that was our fault.   We have a puppy pen in the bedroom where he sleeps he has never messed that always asks to go out at about 3am.

I agree lots and lots of praise especially when they have performed.
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline dillydolly

• Site Member
    • http://
Toilet Training
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 03:07:45 PM »
we have had our Zorro 3 weeks now and we never paper trained him i just took him out every half hour and told him to go wee wees. When he preformed i used a clicker on him and clicked and treated him and over the last couple of days he has been going out by himself to go to the toilet but i still follow him out and click and treat him when he has been it has worked a treat for us im so pleased.

:D dillydolly :D