Author Topic: Rocky Cocker Now Needs A Home  (Read 9746 times)

Offline PennyB

Rocky Cocker Now Needs A Home
« on: August 30, 2004, 04:54:18 PM »
I have permission to post this:

Rocky the cocker is now looking for a new home. Rocky is a 6-year-old blue roan cocker who badly needs a new sofa to call home. Poor lad, his dad died over a week ago and the rest of the family can't cope with a dog (because of their various disabilities). He was obviously the centre of the bloke’s life and was probably very spoilt, and is competing well with my 2 hooligans.

He loves his walks and loves cuddles even more. He comes with his own bed but he’d rather be with you on the sofa than in his bed (in fact while he’s been here Ed the cat and Wilf and Ruby have slept in his bed but not Rocky!). He’s your typical cheeky, strong-willed cocker who when he 1st meets strangers is a little shy with them but he doesn’t take long to get used to them. Gets on well with other dogs but a little scared if too many are bouncing around him. It’s a bit like having a big cuddly bear sitting around the house sometimes—often he just sits there on the sofa grumbling a way at nothing in particular like some big old bear! He’s ignored my cats most of the time he’s been here. Has met numerous kids but don’t think he’d be really suitable for a home with young kids as he hates a lot of screaming around and the general excitability that comes with kids.

Rocky is going to be neutered this week (probably this Wednesday) and generally checked out but he appears to be quite a fit dog (I’ve wormed him and his boosters are due sometime in September—vax certificate came with him). However he does have a cataract in one eye (limited vision or none) but it won’t spoil his enjoyment for life.

Rocky is already microchipped and I have the documents so whoever rehomes him can transfer him over to them.

Rocky is being fostered by me in South Wales on behalf of  Hereford and Worcester Animal Rescue, and any prospective owners will be homechecked, sign an adoption agreement and pay an adoption fee. Will rehome anywhere in the UK. For any other details PM/email me.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 05:48:56 PM »
Big heart string pull when I saw this :( He's such a gorgeous boy , it's so so sad that his family can't keep him.

I bet everyone on COL who reads this will think ' I want him ' I know I did, I hope he gets a fab new home, where he's treated like a king very soon!

Sending you a big hug Rocky, from Molly and Evie :wub:  

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 11:16:45 PM »
Good luck Rocky  :D
He is such a lovely boy  :wub:  :wub:
He deserves a new home where he will be spoilt and loved forever  :)  

Offline noelleybelley

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 11:41:56 PM »
PennyB, have e-mailed you about Rocky, he's so sweet.  :)  

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 11:42:23 PM »
Awww Rocky, I cant see you waiting too long for your forever home - not with that gorgeous face!!!!!!!!

Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

scoobie

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 09:03:03 AM »
Penny I honestly don't think Rocky will be looking for a home for much longer ;)
he's a beauty and you certainly described him in a lovely way..I would love another dog but the time isn't right at the moment :( but judging by noelleybelleys post things could look hopeful? please keep us posted
(Good luck little fella you deserve it) :D
Edith

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 09:23:01 AM »
Good luck son, i'm sure you won't be waiting very long. Your gorgeous :wub:  
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 09:33:20 AM »
I can't offer him a home :( , but hope he gets a lovely forever home soon.  Lovely boy!
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 10:32:59 AM »
I'll be watching with interest...I REALLY hope he finds his new forever home soon  ;)  In the meantime, well done Penny for looking after him and welcoming him into your home  :)  

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 10:59:19 AM »
His personality comes out day by day and while yesterday for whatever reason he was a bit down I've just caught him tearing round the yard with Wilf.

One thing I need to emphasise is that while he only has a cataract in one eye the possibility is that another could/probably will develop in his other eye and so he will be blind at some stage. Even so he will still have a good quality of life, just not a sighted one.
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 02:14:27 PM »
Are you positive he's only 6 Penny?  All mine have developed cataracts in later life & have had limited vision, but only from the age of about 11-12 onwards.  I think he looks older than 6 as well.  He's a beautiful boy, but just comparing him with my 2 (Bess who's 12 & Dillon who's 5) Rocky looks closer in age to Bess than to Dillon.  I wish I could take him on, but Dillon has such a bad aggression problem with males at the moment.  I'm working on him, but it will take time & patience.  

Offline PennyB

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 03:00:26 PM »
Are you positive he's only 6 Penny?  All mine have developed cataracts in later life & have had limited vision, but only from the age of about 11-12 onwards.  I think he looks older than 6 as well.  He's a beautiful boy, but just comparing him with my 2 (Bess who's 12 & Dillon who's 5) Rocky looks closer in age to Bess than to Dillon.  I wish I could take him on, but Dillon has such a bad aggression problem with males at the moment.  I'm working on him, but it will take time & patience.
I agree I thought that as well, but when he was bought from the breeder (by his previous owners) his birthdate is given as 7 years in December (but then the breeder could've lied I suppose) but I have heard of dogs Rocky's age developing cataracts.
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 03:03:57 PM »
I suppose they can develop cataracts at any age, I've probably been lucky that mine have only had them when they've been quite old, so, together with slowing down due to old age, they didn't really affect their lives too much.  A blind old dog is less of a liability than a blind youngster who would blunder into everything, they're bad enough when they can see :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 03:45:37 PM »
I think he'll be fine as he'll hopefully be settled into a house where they'll get used to it as will he and it might be a while yet who knows (will ask the vet on thurs when he's neutered, Rocky that is not the vet LOL)
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 04:27:57 PM »
Cataracts can develop in Cockers in middle-age or even earlier - sometimes they are a consequence of the eye disease PRA & sometimes not. I have seen a few Cockers Rocky's age with cataracts - if they were in both eyes, I would suspect PRA but as it's only one at the moment, then it's probably due to some other cause, perhaps hereditary but not necessarily.

Jane
Jane