Author Topic: Devastating News  (Read 4951 times)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Devastating News
« on: September 23, 2004, 12:27:43 PM »
It's taken me a few days to pull myself together and post this message.

I'm really sorry to have to let you all know that we had to have Honey, our 10 month old golden bitch, put to sleep on Monday night.

Many of you will know that we had problems with Honey's agression from the start.  We tried behaviouralists, training classes, and putting into action stacks of advice from the professionals.  But it just got worse - to the point where Honey had bitten (drawing blood) my wife and snapped a number of times at my young daughter.

Re-homing wasn't an option - the advice from the The Cocker Spaniel Club was that we would simply be passing the problem onto someone else.And they were right.

The vet on Monday was brilliant, but we were really left with little option in the best interests of Honey and my family.  It was the most horrendous decision I have had to make and we are absolutely gutted.  However, in my heart of hearts I believe we have done the right thing.  Honey is now free of her demons and in a much nicer place.

We don't know whether this was the much talked about but very rare 'Rage Syndrome' or whether she just had a really bad agression/dominance problem.  When she was good, she was the most fabulous companion, and BEST looking of them all! However, when she was bad she was scary.

During her short time with us, though, Honey brought us lots of enjoyment and we have plenty of happy memories.

I would like to say a huge public 'Thank You' to Jane S and Linda Ward for all of their advice and support.

Sorry to have to put such a sad message on this fantastic forum, but I know many of you with understand what we're going through right now.  Honey's situation is expectional, and anyone reading this who is not a cocker owner (yet) should not be put off.  They are the most wonderful dogs, and we will definately be getting another pup in the New Year.

With kind regards

Phil
All the best
Phil

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Devastating News
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 12:34:49 PM »
:( Ohhh goodness Phil, I am so very sorry to hear about Honey, its so very sad when this happens.  I completely respect your decision, you have been totally selfless and let Honey go with her dignity.

I can't imagine how you and your family are feeling right now, my heart goes out to you all, so glad you have many happy memories of Honey too, which of course you will cherish forever.

Sleep tight Honey xx

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Devastating News
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 12:38:11 PM »
How absolutely dreadful for you :( .  At least you can take comfort in the fact that you went down every avenue possible to help this poor soul before taking that last step.

My thoughts are with you and your family.  Remember the good times with Honey and look forward to happy times with your new pup (when you decide to get one).
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

lynseyloo

Devastating News
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 12:39:00 PM »
My thoughts are with you and your family at this sad time.  :(  Very best wishes.

Rest well Honey.

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Devastating News
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 12:42:32 PM »
I'm so very sorry for you and your family phil, the decision to let Honey go must have been devastating for you all  :(  

Good night and god bless Honey. xx
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Devastating News
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 12:43:37 PM »
 :(
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Devastating News
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 12:45:33 PM »
So sorry for you and your family, a very dificult decision.  My thoughts are with you.

Regards

Michelle

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Devastating News
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 12:51:26 PM »
Oh Phil, i am so sorry to hear your sad news about Honey.  :(  It must have been  awful experience for you, and a very difficult decision for you to make.  :(

My thoughts and sympathy go out to your and your family at this sad time. Take care. xx

Run Free Honey xx
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Devastating News
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 12:57:20 PM »
Hello Phil

This is such very sad news for all concerned but I think everyone will be supportive of you in what must have been a terrbly hard but unselfish decision.  As Tracy said, you really did do all you could.

I'm so pleased that you will also be considering another cocker puppy in the New Year and wish you all the very best.

Mary ;)

PS...Honey really was a beautiful looking dog like you said ;)

Mary & Lottie x

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Devastating News
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 12:59:35 PM »
I am so sorry to read this very sad news - rest in peace Honey  :( sweet dreams

Thinking of you all  
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Devastating News
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 01:06:36 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear this - my heart goes out to you.

You made a very hard decision with your dogs best interests at heart.

Janice

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Devastating News
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 01:23:21 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about Honey :(   What a very difficult decision you have had to make :(

Goodnight Godbless Honey

Louise, Charlie & Piper xxx
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Devastating News
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 01:28:01 PM »
So sorry to hear your sad news Phil. If there's anything we can do, don't hesitate to ask  :(  

Offline dillydolly

• Site Member
    • http://
Devastating News
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 01:28:33 PM »
awwwww i am so sorry to hear your news about honey, hugs to all of you x x x x

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Devastating News
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 01:56:35 PM »
Very sorry to hear this sad news  :(  
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.