Author Topic: At The End Of My Tether  (Read 1809 times)

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
    • http://janandnoel.com
At The End Of My Tether
« on: October 24, 2004, 01:11:31 PM »
:( i have just spent the last hour de fleaing hun again , she is frontlined every 2 3 months brushed and combed everyday ive got flea shampoo that i bath her with and ive just bought some tablets called 4 fleas supposed to kill them within 15 mins of taking the tablet  :blink: dont know where im going wrong , poor honey has been scratching herself sensless , ive managed to pull about 3 from the same spot on her chest anyone got any ideas or things that work for you i could try im really getting fed up  :(  

Offline Michele

• Site Member
At The End Of My Tether
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 01:43:54 PM »
Sorry to hear this Ruth, nothing worse than those little blighters  :angry:

Perhaps changing your flea treatment might help, as possibly they've become immune to the Frontline.
I've recently used Stronghold on mine, not for fleas but as a wormer, although it does seem to cover just about everything  :D

Don't know what you can do about it, but do you have cats or hedgehogs in the garden, as these can be the worse carriers of fleas.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
At The End Of My Tether
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 01:54:35 PM »
Ruth - have you de-flea'd your home too? Doing Honey is only one step of the treatment - you then have to do all your soft furnishings and anywhere Honey goes too otherwise she will simply pick up the egss and the cyle will start again.

Can be a total nightmare to break out of - you have my sympathy.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
At The End Of My Tether
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 01:57:27 PM »
Ruth, as Pam says you need to do the house as well. Indorex spray from the vets works really well and protects the home for up to a year
Caroline and Alfie

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
At The End Of My Tether
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 02:32:46 PM »
:blink: thanks for the advice will get some stuff for the carpets ect tommoz have been changing huns bedding everyday also constantly wiring leather suite down its horrible its like when the kids used to come home with the dreaded nits from school i cant stop scraTCHING  :angry:  

Offline AmandaA

• Site Member
At The End Of My Tether
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 03:28:27 PM »
I use program plus it is a flea and wormer in one.
Amanda, Lennox,Molly,Jasmine,Lotte & Ruby & Doogie xxxx

Offline fi61

• Site Member
    • http://
At The End Of My Tether
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 05:11:48 PM »
Sorry to hear about the fleas, they are a nightmare.  I agree about the cats, they are the worst carriers.  We live in Gibraltar and fleas in a hot country are a nightmare, about 6 years ago Benji was riddled, in the end I got the fumigators in and have not had a problem since.  Use drops every month.

Good luck

Benji & Fiona

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
At The End Of My Tether
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 05:40:57 PM »
At the vets where I work, we sell Staykill housespray. It's expensive, at £14.00 for a big can, but it's really good and will last for ages.

Shona
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Hel

• Site Member
At The End Of My Tether
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 10:26:41 PM »
You need to use frontline on the dot every 2 months as you clearly have a problem.  Fleas getting on your dog with frontline is normal (living in sheep country, I regularly find a flea wandering around the face of one of mine) - the point is they won't stay or bite the dog. assuming it is working.

As you are using frontline regularly, I'm afraid the problem is your house rather than the dog.  

When I moved into my house, before I had dogs, the house was crawling with cat fleas from the cats of the previous owner - I'm a flea magnet and get bitten before any animal  :( .  I got the council to spray the place and had to have the place sprayed again about a year later when a friend came round with her cat fleas :o

Getting rid of the front room carpet cured it completely.

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
At The End Of My Tether
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 09:16:57 AM »
I agree with the others - i think you will find your carpet is infested!!! Treat this and you should end the problem! Forntline is good - and you shouldn't need to use gallons of the stuff!
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
At The End Of My Tether
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 07:58:45 PM »
:unsure: think the answer could be the 2 cats we have they live outside most of the time they even eat outside they have also had flea treatment same time as hun but have bought some stuff today for carpets dont have a lot cos weve got laminate thanks for all replies  :)  :)  

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
At The End Of My Tether
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 08:07:46 PM »
Ruth its not just the carpets you need to do - its around skirtings and even along the groves of the laminate. Anywhere the animals have been needs to be done as well as under furniture and beds (even divans). Its a time consuming job but if you have the right stuff it only needs to be done once a year
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Allison

• Site Member
At The End Of My Tether
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 08:59:18 AM »
Sorry to hear of your problems, Frontline will only work for approx 2 months!!! If you do have a flea problem MONTHLY re-treatment is also recommended.
I treat Sally all year round just to minimise the fleas breeding inside the house.
Allison, Neil & Sally.xxxxxxxxxx

Offline LROGERS

• Site Member
At The End Of My Tether
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 11:51:24 AM »
We had this problem with a cat, if you get in touch with the council they will come round and treat the whole house free of charge, apparently this is the most effective way to eleiminate the flees as they hide behind skirtings and other inaccessable places.
Our vet suggested Frontline once a month in the summer for our dog and once every two months in the winter.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
At The End Of My Tether
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 12:57:37 PM »
if you get in touch with the council they will come round and treat the whole house free of charge,
Not always - it depends on the Council, unfortunately! I would agree that this is the best method of clearing the house if it is infested; and you can then keep on top of it.

When I lived with a 'borrowed' cat; she brought fleas into the flat - it was horrid! I got a company in to clear it and made sure she was regualary treated, and it never happened again  :rolleyes:  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club