Author Topic: Change In Coats...  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Curtisio

• Site Member
Change In Coats...
« on: October 29, 2004, 04:07:49 PM »
I have read a lot of threads discussing castration. A lot of people have mentioned that their dogs coats have changed after the op. What I was wondering is what is meant by this, ie. in what way do the coats alter?  
Paul - Kyro - Daisy & Cookie (cats)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Change In Coats...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 04:32:56 PM »
After neutering in both dogs and bitches, the coat can become much thicker and coarser, and because of the thickness hand stripping or even sometimes a coat king are not a fair option.
This often then leaves you with no choice but to have the coat clipped. This isn't the end of the world, as long as you find a sympathetic groomer and not someone who is going to shear it all off like a sheep. You will also need to have the coat clipped more frequently.
Have a look at the FAQ on Neutering

Offline Curtisio

• Site Member
Change In Coats...
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 04:41:55 PM »
Thank you!!
Paul - Kyro - Daisy & Cookie (cats)

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Change In Coats...
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 05:04:42 PM »
After spaying, Livvy's face went ever so hairy, she has to have her face clipped now.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Change In Coats...
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 07:11:20 PM »
Scully used to have a coat like liquid gold.  :)

After she was spayed it almost immediately went thick and woolly and curly just like a sheep.  :(

It is impossible to hand strip it now so I clip her myself. Most of the year she just gets it clipped into a traditional cocker style with short on top and longer underneath and on legs etc but about twice a year I take the whole lot off - legs and all. She looks ridiculous but if I don't do it then it gets to the stage where no rake, comb or brush can get through it even though she gets groomed every day.  :rolleyes:

I have always had horses so I practised my clipping skills over the years on them  :lol: but doing a wriggling cocker is much harder and more fiddly  :lol:  
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Change In Coats...
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 07:28:26 PM »
Yeah, people used to comment on Piper's lovely silky coat.  Then I had her speyed and now it is an awful lot coarser than it was before, plus her face is very hairy too.

Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Sue H

Change In Coats...
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 11:11:15 PM »
Bramble was castrated at about one year old - he was never a very hairy Cocker, but his back does get a bit wooly now,we have noticed.  His muzzle is still clean and never needs clipping, so he always has whiskers !!

Barley is still unspayed at 9 years old, and her hair grows gorgeously ..  She gets 'moon boots' and curly ears and blonde hair on her head - the downside of all this is that she takes ages to dry when she has been swimming, and she tends to stink after about 3 weeks without a bath !!  

They are both clipped (very sympathetically) by a lovely lady called Jackie at Lechlade, every 3 moths or so !!

Offline gc

• Site Member
    • http://
Change In Coats...
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 01:42:06 PM »
After the op, Balu's coat is not silky anymore. It's more fluffy, and she looks like a lion! It seems that the colour is more light brown now too... but it might be my idea. I also think that the hair loss, is also lighter.
George.
The truth is out there..... and a cocker can easily find it ;-)

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Change In Coats...
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 02:16:58 PM »
Molly is a lot 'blonder' too, not that she was very dark to begin with, but still looks less 'orange'.  She has developed an incredibly hairy face.  I'm trying to resist the clippers but I'm finding it very difficult to keep her looking nice with the thinning scissors. :( .  Her body fur hasn't changed too much, just thicker and more prone to tangling):rolleyes: .  I give her Evening Primrose capsules every day, don't know if it helps but I'll carry on anyway :lol: .
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!