Author Topic: Newbie In Oxfordshire  (Read 4438 times)

Offline janejohn

• Site Member
Newbie In Oxfordshire
« on: February 01, 2006, 01:03:24 PM »
Hi everyone,

We are first time dog owners and about to pick up our little bundle of joy tomorrow. I am so excited its like being an expectant mum all over again!!  :D

She will be just 8 weeks and we're going to call her Sapphire as she's a blue roan. The only trouble is which one to pick as we adore two of them and they are both still available. We were hoping someone would choose one of them, then that would be the decision made!  :blink:

They are both very inquisitive and full of beans, and both just as pretty. The only difference is the breeder has noticed that one is the most vocal of the litter - whining when no-one to play with and when in the car to the vets for inoculations. We are a little concerned that she may be a dog that would bark a lot if we were out for a while. The breeder says she didn't think it would be anything we couldn't overcome but I just wondered if any of you had any advise?!!

Looking forward to chatting on the forum. Will post some pics when I get to grips with it!!

Jane  
Jane, Sapphire and Merlin x

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
Newbie In Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 01:11:56 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL :)

We didn't pick our dog - the breeder had to as we wanted an undocked one, but ours was the noisiest and most inquisitive puppy of the litter.  He can be a handful at times but i think going for an active one in the litter is wise  - but as you say both of them are.

I wouldn;t worry to much about how vocal they are - for the first few weeks your dog will no doubt whine the house down as its settling in.  Other more experienced owners may have more advice for you.

Best of luck for tomorrow - and get lots of sleep tonight - you'll need it!!!

Rachel xxx
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline CHARLIE-BROWN

• Site Member
Newbie In Oxfordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 01:18:53 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL!

We are in Oxfordshire too - where abouts are you? We have Charlie a 5 month blue roan puppy.

Dont really know what to advise re which puppy to pick as we are first time dog owners too but I'm sure youll be dlighted with whichever one you choose.

Good Luck! :lol:
Rachel, Charlie & Phoebe

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Newbie In Oxfordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 01:21:07 PM »
Welcome to COL  :D

Good luck choosing your pup  :D
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Newbie In Oxfordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 01:23:30 PM »
oooo i am so jealous, I want a girly blue roan, but I have to wait till the summer :)
Good luck choosing!
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
Newbie In Oxfordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 01:27:02 PM »
Good luck for tomorrow - I love the name by the way.  We've had our blue roan girl Melody for 5 weeks now and she's 13 weeks old.  She's a real bundle of fun - hope you post some pics soon, oh and welcome to COL  :D
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
Newbie In Oxfordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 01:49:03 PM »
Welcome to COL   :)

It seems like an age ago since I had my little blue roan girl!

I love the name, look forward to seeing piccies   :D
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Newbie In Oxfordshire
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 01:53:24 PM »
Hi, welcome to COL.

Personally, as inexperienced owners too, I would go for the quieter one, but then you do want them to have a bit of character!

We have Buddy, blue roan, 12 months old.

We're in Reading, so not too far. One day we may meet up at a COL meet.

Try to sleep tonight (it may be your last unbroken night for a while :P ), and enjoy your new pup. We are all here to help you get through the fun and the tough times.

Offline janejohn

• Site Member
Newbie In Oxfordshire
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 08:51:55 PM »
Thanks for all your welcome messages. I picked saphhire up this morning and soon wished i'd taken ear pugs as she yodelled in the back for 40mins of the hour drive home!! But then I did go for the more vocal one.  :(

However the rest of the day was fine with lots of play and cuddles. I encouraged her to nap in her crate as shes been used to this at the breeders - so fingers crossed for tonight! I'm expecting the worst - in the hope I may be pleasantly suprised!

Will post some pics tomorrow when i've more time and she's not asleep on one of my arms as she is right now!  :D

Rachel - we are in Carterton near Witney, whereabouts are you?

Jane

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Newbie In Oxfordshire
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 09:41:57 PM »
Hi ya welcome to COL :)

I love the name Saphiare for a blue roan....FAB!!!

I have two blues who are la la!!! :blink:  :blink:

Hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do, ask anyone I'm addicted!!!!!! :lol:

Lisa xx

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Newbie In Oxfordshire
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 09:46:58 PM »
Welcome Jane and Sapphire  :D ...what a beautiful name  ;) ...cant wait to see her  ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Newbie In Oxfordshire
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 09:54:21 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL ;)

Fingers crossed you have a good night with her tonight but I wouldn't hold out much hope on her first night alone :lol:  :ph34r:

I'm not too far from you...Swindon ;)
Mary & Lottie x

Offline CHARLIE-BROWN

• Site Member
Newbie In Oxfordshire
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 10:52:31 PM »
Thanks for all your welcome messages. I picked saphhire up this morning and soon wished i'd taken ear pugs as she yodelled in the back for 40mins of the hour drive home!! But then I did go for the more vocal one.  :(

However the rest of the day was fine with lots of play and cuddles. I encouraged her to nap in her crate as shes been used to this at the breeders - so fingers crossed for tonight! I'm expecting the worst - in the hope I may be pleasantly suprised!

Will post some pics tomorrow when i've more time and she's not asleep on one of my arms as she is right now!  :D

Rachel - we are in Carterton near Witney, whereabouts are you?

Jane
[snapback]182621[/snapback]

Believe it or not - Carterton! We will have to have our own mini Col meet up!
Rachel, Charlie & Phoebe

Offline Gini

• Site Member
    • http://
Newbie In Oxfordshire
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 04:34:10 AM »
Hi, I have 8 month old Willow. Look forward to photos of Sapphire. Such a beautiful name!

Offline janejohn

• Site Member
Newbie In Oxfordshire
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 07:45:07 AM »
Rachel - wow Carterton! What a small world it is! We'll have to get Charlie and Sapphire together so he can give her some good tips ( and you can with me of course)  Could you recommend any good local puppy training classes?

Sapphires first night went OK I think - only woken twice. She put herself to bed at 9.30 so I when she woke at 2.30 I got up and let her out of the crate but didn't talk lots to her or give her cuddles. After 15 mins of pacing around she went to the toilet and I gave her lots of praise and popped her back. She then woke at 5.30 and I did the same, finally getting up for the day at 7ish.

I'm new to all this puppy stuff but I was really impressed with that!  :D I'm sure after having two children I can cope with that routine, for a while at least!

Will post some pics (only took 34 yesterday!) when the kids have got off to school.

Mary and Lottie love the Robbie Williams tag!  :huh:

Jane