Author Topic: Is it normal.....  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Is it normal.....
« on: March 22, 2004, 01:24:03 PM »
for it to sound like they're killing each other???  I knew when we decide to get another dog that Morgan would enjoy the company of another dog and that he would get on well with him.  He has always been very friendly and placid (if you coud use that word to describe any cocker  :lol:  ).  But he actually has more patience than even I thought.  I sometimes have the urge to go and stop Cooper from taking toys off Morgan and biting/pulling his ears, but have resisted the temptation, so far - have just let them get on with it.  In fact if Cooper does stop, Morgan usually goes back for more torture!!  :?  :shock:  

Cooper is quite wicked to him and regularly makes unprovoked 'attacks'  :lol:   :lol:  Cooper growls, snarls and bites, while Morgan just tries his best to fend him off with his paws and the odd snarl.  They take turns at being the one who is pinned down on the floor, but Morgan has yet to give him a proper telling off - should I be worried that Cooper has his eyes set on 'top dog' status (if there is such a thing)?  or is it too early to tell.

We're doing all the - greeting/feeding Morgan first.  Any advice or personal experiences????

Thanks                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Is it normal.....
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 01:30:17 PM »
Sounds pretty normal to me Shirley :lol: Puppies when they play with each other make a horrendous racket - you'd think at least one was being murdered but it's just how they play :wink: I would leave them alone to get on with it - they will sort their own relationship out. Humans can do more harm than good by trying to impose which dog will be "top dog" in a multi-dog household - they will decide this for themselves (not that I think Cooper is trying to be top dog necessarily, he's just being a puppy :wink:)                    
Jane

Offline PennyB

Is it normal.....
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 02:09:32 PM »
Sounds just like my house :lol: Ruby makes Wilf 'cry' once a day, steals all his toys and tries to take all the treats, yet Wilf adores her                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Is it normal.....
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 03:05:03 PM »
Shirley,  you should hear Jess and Abbie together!!   (Abbie is Jess's litter sister my mothers pup)   I have posted a few times on here about it.  It really is frightning isn't it.    Like Jayne says cockers can play very roughly indeed, especially 2 the same sex, age and from the same litter. The noise they make is crazy :shock:  :shock:

Linda                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Is it normal.....
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 03:58:44 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.  I've been back from work for almost an hour now and they've been practicing their WWF moves since I got home  :lol:  :lol:   I wasn't really concerned at all as there have been no real howls of pain in the past two weeks, although it has crossed my mind with all that biting round the face that one of them will get a tooth in the eye or something  :wink:  :? .  

I am constantly surprised at Morgan, though.  He is quite willing to let Cooper come along and take toys/treats etc, off him.  When I think about it though, he's exactly the same with my 3 year old nephew - who thinks nothing of marching up and pulling a ball from Morgan's jaws.  Reece has been doing this since Morgan was a tiny puppy so Morgan's probably just accepted it - I just wish he'd open his mouth as easily when it's me who is trying to take something off him  :wink:  :?  :D .

Jane, is it uncommon for the younger dog to end up more dominant?  

Thanks again, we'll just continue to leave them too it.  It's very entertaining actually - haven't switched the t.v on for a fortnight  :lol:                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Is it normal.....
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 04:27:03 PM »
You should hear Candy and Georgia!!  The other day when I was on the phone to my mum she could overhear them making their usual noises and she she said 'you'd better go and see to those monsters of yours they sound like they're killing each other.'  She just couldn't believe me when I said 'don't worry mum they're only playing!!'  :lol:

Georgia is always stealing things off Candy I can't understand how and why Candy just lets her do it.  If she really wants to keep something though she will stand her ground; I'm sure Morgan will too.

I agree Shirley it is very entertaining to watch!

Loraine  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Is it normal.....
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 04:51:59 PM »

Jane, is it uncommon for the younger dog to end up more dominant?  

Not really - it all depends on personality really. If the older dog is the chilled-out placid type & the younger a bit more assertive, then the younger could well turn out more dominant, though not necessarily in all situations - our Rhona is incredibly submissive with other dogs & people but she will grumble if one of the other dogs tries to get in her food bowl before she's finished :lol:                    
Jane

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Is it normal.....
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 10:36:57 AM »
Hi Shirley,

our house regularly sounds like some kind of wild dog fight, and I worry when they go out in the garden and play that the neighbours will call the RSPCA because of the noise!! :shock:

Millie and Jenni take turns in the pinning each other down stakes; and Jenni will often bounce on Millie when she's fast asleep and start biting and tugging her ears .. the latest favourite 'move' is the tail grab... they both try to bite each others tails and end up spinning in circles .. again quite entertaining and incredibly loud!

Millie has only really grumbled at Jenni once... and even that was only a half hearted attempt, in the end she gave up and started playing with her again :D

We're also trying to ensure Millie gets everything first and remains our top dog. Although she lets Jenni eat her food if you're not watching and tell Jenni 'no'. Jenni just sidles under her and sticks her head in the bowl, Millie just backs away and looks at her :roll: but she's a finicky eater and would rather have Jenni's puppy food given half the chance!
The toys though, well they all belong to Millie. She'll often just keep taking them off Jenni - Jenni gets a toy, Millie takes it off her, so Jenni goes to get a ball, which Millie comes and takes off her .. in the end Jenni barks at Millie  :lol:                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk