Author Topic: 3 Scabs! What Are They?  (Read 715 times)

Offline Gini

• Site Member
    • http://
3 Scabs! What Are They?
« on: December 11, 2005, 06:36:43 AM »
When I was grooming Willow yesterday I found 3 little lumps. One on her shoulder 2 under her neck. I thought it was mud stuck in her coat, but realised they were scabs.

One was half falling off, they look like puncture wounds. Really don't know how I didn't notice them!

I decided not to bath them thinking that keeping them dry at this stage is best. They look quite red but not swollen like they would be with pus. There is a definate hole in the middle trying to heel. The hole and redness is only about 5mm.

She does play with next doors dog, who visits most days, I leave them in the garden but watch from the kitchen. Nextdoors is a Chinese Crested Powder Puff who has been in season the last week and a bit grumpy.

Is there anything else that these could be or do I assume these are 'play fight' puncture wounds (I know this should not be happening)  I will keep an extra close eye from now on.

Sorry to be so paranoid but they are the first wounds my baby has had.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
3 Scabs! What Are They?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 10:41:16 AM »
Hi,
 Don't know what they are, but I would be inclined to pick off the scab and cleanse each wound with either a salt and boiled water solution or an antiseptic preparation( don't clean all 3 with the same swab, use a fresh one on each wound to avoid cross infection). Wounds heal from the inside out, so if you have a cavity it is better to expose it and cleanse daily or twice daily and allow it to heal slowly.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Gini

• Site Member
    • http://
3 Scabs! What Are They?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 10:49:34 AM »
Hi,
 Don't know what they are, but I would be inclined to pick off the scab and cleanse each wound with either a salt and boiled water solution or an antiseptic preparation( don't clean all 3 with the same swab, use a fresh one on each wound to avoid cross infection). Wounds heal from the inside out, so if you have a cavity it is better to expose it and cleanse daily or twice daily and allow it to heal slowly.
[snapback]166877[/snapback]

Yes that sounds logical now I think about it. Thanks.