Author Topic: Ear Infections  (Read 2457 times)

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Ear Infections
« on: August 24, 2004, 09:49:33 PM »
Ollie and Trixie (our old cavalier) both have ear infections  :(

Took them to the vet's today for some ear drops and so on and the vet said "This is the problem with spaniel-type dogs." Poor Ollie has been sleepy and quiet all day today and has an upset stomach, told the vet about it but she didn't seem worried.

Had all the dogs weighed, checked, got their frontline and wormers etc. I was pleased that they are all normal weights and otherwise healthy, it does put your mind at rest.

I've been cleaning Ollie's ears as best as I can considering he is a wriggly puppy, just hope the drops clear it up, poor little boy  :(  

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
Ear Infections
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 09:54:27 PM »
So sorry to hear they've got ear probs.  I don't want to worry you but I hope the vet checked for grass seeds in their ears.  It's so common at this time of year for spaniels to get horrible spikey grass seeds lodged in their ears.  I've had it happen to mine in the past.  

Offline PennyB

Ear Infections
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 09:58:36 PM »
Kelly, Have you heard of or ever tried thornitts (the original canker powder). I clean my 2s ears out with epitotic which helps loosen the wax and then put a tiny bit of thornitts in there.

A bottle would last you for years. You can find it on here:

Champion Pets

Ear problems and thornitts
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Ear Infections
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 10:02:19 PM »
I clean my 2s ears out with epitotic which helps loosen the wax and then put a tiny bit of thornitts in there.

I've got thornit, but how do you clean the ears out before putting it in?  Sorry for the hijack :unsure:  
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline PennyB

Ear Infections
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 10:05:32 PM »
I clean my 2s ears out with epitotic which helps loosen the wax and then put a tiny bit of thornitts in there.

I've got thornit, but how do you clean the ears out before putting it in?  Sorry for the hijack :unsure:
I use epitotic that I got from the vets. You just put some in the ear canal and massage it in well and then leave for about 10 min then wipe round with some cotton wool or tissue to remove the excess wax that may have come up then apply the thornitts,
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Ear Infections
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 10:16:46 PM »
Thanks Penny, I've been wondering about that for ages :rolleyes:  
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Ear Infections
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 10:20:15 PM »
I'll have to try that.
Do I need to ask the vet for some epitotic then?
She did check for grass seeds btw, didn't seem to be a problem. I trimmed Trixie's ears quite short tonight to make it easier to get to clean them, poor girl.
Ollie's infection is only minor but hers flared up yesterday. They were a bit sore on Saturday so I cleaned them 3 times a day, but last night they started weeping and by today they were in a real state  :(

I'll definitely buy some thornit.

Offline PennyB

Ear Infections
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 10:31:08 PM »
I think you can only get epitotic from the vets. Some may use soemthing they buy from a petshop but I prefer the epiotic.
Friends of Hailey Park

scoobie

Ear Infections
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 10:39:38 PM »
Poor little things  :( hope they get rid of those nasty ear infections really soon
Edith

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Ear Infections
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 10:40:01 PM »
I just use the Thornit.  Neither of my two will let you near then with drops  :rolleyes:  A pinch in each ear every 4 weeks or so and no ear problems so far, touch wood!!  :D   If you do use the drops to clean out the ears first try to make sure that they have dried out before applying the Thornit - if the ear is wet the powder tends to stick to the outside rather than going where it's supposed to go  :)

Hope Ollie and trixie are feeling better soon  :)  
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Louie

• Limited Member
    • http://www.dreamistcockerspaniels.co.uk
Ear Infections
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 11:07:59 PM »
Hi, you can buy Epiotic ear cleaner and other non prescription items much cheaper from, www.caninechemists.com  :)  

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Ear Infections
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 12:29:07 AM »
Thanks everyone!

I've ordered the epitotic from the site Louie mentioned, and ordered some Thornit from the site Penny mentioned. Hopefully it will prevent this from happening again, I feel so sorry for them, everyone know's how horrible it is to have an ear infection  :(  

Offline Sandie

• Site Member
    • http://
Ear Infections
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 01:35:02 AM »
It sounds very much like the same problem that Wesley and Aimee have had with their ears lately, and I have always uses thornit. First thing i noticed about Wesley was he was rubbing his ear on the carpet and that was the first time i had noticed him doing it. I was shocked to death when i saw his ear, it was in a mess and had been weeping for a day or two. It couldn't been longer than that as he gets a good comb through every other day and I would have noticed it. His ear feathering had gone like cardboard from where it had been weeping so much.

Anyway, I cleaned it up, dried it and applied thornit. As the ear was so weepy the thornit made it worse so off to the vets we went. He was put on a course of antibiotics and was told to clean his ear with novosan, an antiseptic wash. A week later, his ear was worse and was highly inflammed. The vet checked for grass seed at the first visit, so he had another anti-inflammatory injection and was given antibiotic drops. Another week later, it was still not better but it had improved a lot and was told to carry on with the drops for another week. Well it appeared to heal up completely.....or so I thought.

A month later, at the Cocker Champ show, Wesley was going mad in his cage and I noticed he was pawing at his ear again. Luckily the vet that was doing the eye testing had a quick look for me and said it looked inflammed. The following Monday, off we went to the vets again, this time Aimee had a bad ear too. We saw a different vet and she gave Wesley and anti-inflammatory injection, and antibiotic injection, tablets for ten days and told me to use the antiobiotic drops. Luckily this knocked the infection on the head for Wesley.

However, Aimee was a different matter, as she was heavily pregnant with only a week to go, she could not have any injections or antibiotics. I was told to clean her ears out twice a day with the antisceptic wash and after a week to put some antibiotic drops in twice a day which I did.

What I can't understand is why they both got ear infections at the same time. Both of their ears were in a terrible state in such a short space of time. The vet said is that they are most likely to have picked up an allergy to something, but to what we don't know. Their diet had not been changed. Their bedding was always washed with the same washing powder, nothing had changed. I have always kept their ears short underneath so that air can circulate around them. Could it have been the weather that caused this? Neither dogs have had any ear trouble until this summer.

Anyway, I hope all the cockers that currently have ear infections, get well soon!

Sandie, Aimee and Wesley xx

Offline gc

• Site Member
    • http://
Ear Infections
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 07:10:50 AM »
oh dear, ear infections are painful. Get well soon.
George.
The truth is out there..... and a cocker can easily find it ;-)