Author Topic: Deaf Dog  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Deaf Dog
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 10:21:03 PM »
It's wierd though- we still talk to him even though he's deaf. Maybe he'll learn to lip read!
[snapback]139386[/snapback]
Not weird at all - I've got our pup staying here at the moment & I talk to her as if she could hear even though I know she can't ;) Re the vibrating collars, apparently Barry Eaton does not recommend them as a deaf dog can learn to ignore the vibrations in the same way a hearing dog can choose not to "hear" the human voice when it suits them. If you are interested in one, it might be possible to hire or borrow one perhaps (they are v expensive to buy)

Jane
Jane

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Deaf Dog
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 11:24:58 PM »
Sorry to hear about Harry  :(
Nik x x

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
    • http://
Deaf Dog
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005, 01:10:55 AM »
Yeah I read about the Vibrating Collars but we need a waterproof one because he likes swimming like Fudge. At the moment we let him off where it's really safe, no sheep, no people, no bitches in season, no cars, no roads etc etc. So that's like 2 places- the army camp near or house (where we can only go when the army are not around) and the big massive desserted beaches at my parents house in Scotland.

We're working on getting him to look at us as much as we can- by feeding him when he looks. But he stares at you if he knows you've got treats!!!!

Eilidh, Fudge and Harry

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Deaf Dog
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005, 02:06:43 AM »
 :huh:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline PennyB

Deaf Dog
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2005, 05:50:09 PM »
I've seen a deaf collie doing really well at agility, the only difference was the owner had to keep just ahead of the dog to give him hand signals.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!