Author Topic: Buddy...Well, to be frank, he smells awful!  (Read 6249 times)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Buddy...Well, to be frank, he smells awful!
« on: June 14, 2006, 04:21:42 PM »
Sorry. This is even longer than my usual posts!

This has been going on for a couple of weeks, maybe more.

It's a kind of "earthy" smell. Very strong at times.

At first I thought it was his ears (I used to clean tham daily, but reduced it after reading that it shouldn't be done too often), so I started doing them every day again, and regular Thornits. I then started using the Leo I got from the vets even though he hates it and I have never previously been convinced he needs it.

When that didn't stop the smell (Thornits only masked it for a few hours at most) I decided it must be the newly discovered lip folds. I had thought they were in a totally different place up to then! ph34r I started with Hibiscrub, then moved on to Betadine but it hasn't helped either and I am not sure if it's that.

Someone told me that her lab used to smell bad until she started removing her collar in the house. She wondered if it was a build up of grease under the collar. SO we have been doing that, and I've washed the collar, but still haven't tracked down the source.

His breath isn't too fresh, but I don't think it's the same smell, even so I've been cleaning there too (always have, but have started to do all these things more often).

I've taken to cleaning thoroughly around his privates each day too as he's a young adult male. 'nuff said there! And I've been baby wiping his bum.

He had a bath just over a week ago after rolling in something dead, and he did smell a bit better for maybe a day. Just a strong aroma of his conditioner, but surely I shouldn't bath him too often?

His poos are usually quite good, and he hasn't scooted for months so I don't think it's his anal glands either.

He does swim most days but if he gets in the manky water we rinse him off either in the cleaner river or with the hose. I wondered if he had a skin infection, but can't see anything widespread. There might be something going on on his throat. When we took his collar off we found a slightly pink area of fur, but can't find anything on his skin there at all. It's not even dye from the collar - wrong colour!

I've run my not very efficient nose all over him (the things we do!) and honestly can't find the source.

I am wondering whether I should pop him up to the vet for a quick check, as I'm sure it's not a healthy smell. It's certainly not a smell I've sensed from a dog before, but I am a novice.

Before I do that, I just thought I'd ask if anyone has any other clues as to what this could be please. I hate to think that I might have inadvertantly neglected him, but I think I must be doing something wrong.

This would be one of the reasons I have been thinking a bit about BARF, but not quite ready for that yet. Just wonder if I have failed to check out anything else which might be the source.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Re: Buddy...Well, to be frank, he smells awful!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 04:24:08 PM »
I'd be thinking an infected anal gland maybe? My neighbours dog mentioned something similar last year, and that's what it was. Is it on his breath at all, or just *on* him?
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 04:26:24 PM »
Just wafting up from between my feet as we speak! It's gross!

Honestly, I can't localise it at all. And I've had my nose in places no one has a right to put their nose. Believe me!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 04:27:45 PM »
I'd get his glands checked out. If you've been unable to isolate it then perhaps your vet or someone else needs to have a sniff as your nose gets used to smells ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 04:53:14 PM »
I'd take him to the vets, my neighbour was going daft trying to figure it out, and because it wasn't fishy smelling wasn't convinced it was anal glands. Turned out to be an infection and he needed some antibiotics to clear it.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 05:39:08 PM »
poor you! and poor buddy :-\

i agree with the others re the anal glands - or could it be the start of  some kind of yeast/bacterial infection bought on by the humidity?  (heard that it can cause smelly coats but am no expert...)...think it's the vet's for buddy....

Hope you get to the bottom (no anal gland pun intended ph34r) of it soon ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 06:38:15 PM »
Honey has always had a funny smell from her paws - but doesn't like getting them groomed, so I don't get to poke abput at them a lot. Today though I was grooming her outside, armed with some hide chew sticks and she let me groom away. She let me have a good look at ther paws and was horrified to see that right down in between her toes  was covered in really dry sore skin - I am going to post later for advice.

This I imagine is the cause of her smelly feet - it is a peculiar smell - not unpleasant but not nice either (obviously) - ckeck out his feet - just a thought!

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 06:44:13 PM »
annette - agree with the others - take him to the vet they may not know his normal smell but they may recognise this odd smell.

failing that - small journey in the washing machine  :lol: :lol: :lol:  OMG - you do realise I'm JOKING dont you  :o :o :o  sorry - very warped sense of humour here  ;) :lol: :lol:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 07:21:49 PM »
I thought it could be his feet too?  Indie has terrible pongie feet, when you think about it, they do stand in all kinds of stuff eeeekk rather not think about what they stand in though :o ::)

Offline KarIng

• Site Member
  • I'm comfy and I'm not budging!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 07:50:17 PM »
Hi,

just wanted to say we're having the same problem with Teddy, he has smelt since we got him at 6 months old.  I can't source the smell either and he seems healthy, don't think it's his anal glands or ears ...  I've put him on Burns because I read and was told that this could get rid of smells ...no change as yet, but it's only been a few weeks.  The groomer suggested having him neutered as apparently it could be hormones - he's about nine months and testosterone levels are high at this age.  Not sure about that yet, will discuss with vet.

We have the same problem, if I bathe him the smell is masked temporarily by the shampoo or grooming spray smell but quickly comes back, so it's not a dirty smell.

Sorry,no advice but if Teddy improves I'll keep you up to date. Would be interested to hear what your vet says, I keep meaning to go to mine but haven't got there yet - the expense!

Karen and Teddy x
Karen and Teddy

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 08:36:12 PM »
Max has pongy feet too - very stale smelling - he goes through phases with them - we keep them trimmed & check them every day & spray tea tree stuff in there every now & then!! He also gets smelly breath every so often too, for no apparent reason - usually only for a day or 2. Funnily enough, hubby mentioned tonight that he was a bit whiffy & I reckon it might be cos he's been ill & hasn't been eating or drinking properly - hope so anyway!!  :005: :luv: :005:
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 09:38:07 AM »
Is it safe to use tea tree oil neat on their feet if you just rub it in between their toes/pads?  It cleared up my persistent, recurring athletes foot infection, and wondered if it would work for kb/Honey?

Paddy's breath usually stinks, despite regular tooth cleaning.  If he breathes on you through his nose - no smell, if it it's from his mouth - YIKES alive!! ph34r  But since he was on metronidazole (spelling?), after his last colitis "crisis", he hasn't smelled at all and no flatulence either   :angel: :angel:

So I've concluded that the bad breath is originating from his digestive tract...don't know if that helps anyone else whose dog has smelly breath or not!

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 10:23:51 AM »
Buddy's off to the vet at 4.30. I'll let you know what he thinks.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 11:01:57 AM »
I assume its not his lip folds that are smelling.

Check the skin on the tips of his ears and also his paws. Wilf for some reason gets a funny flaky skin problem in these areas sometimes which can also smell.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 12:08:05 PM »
Is it safe to use tea tree oil neat on their feet if you just rub it in between their toes/pads?

I think you have to be careful using neat tea tree in some dogs. I have used a solution of tea tree (made up in a spray bottle and use the tiniest drop of milk --- yes milk as it helps it disperse with the water)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!