Author Topic: pepper had another "turn"...  (Read 4381 times)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: pepper had another "turn"...
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 10:45:20 PM »

jimmy simpson has emailed me back and wants her bloods next time. she fits his criteria for research.
 I was out walking the dogs yeterday with my friend the vet so Ive prewarned her.

Oh that's great! I'm really glad he got back to you, hopefully it won't happen again but if it does then at least you'll be able to get some feedback from him.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2008, 03:50:32 AM »
Glad you managed to get in touch and got a speedy reply too  :D

Don't blame you keeping a copy of the email to take with you to do the bloods etc  :D

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2008, 09:54:22 AM »
In the film piece, he refers to low blood sugars (which you've had suggestions about) and low electrolytes.  Would it be worth getting Pepper and Liath to both have a drink of the rehydration liquids (you know the powder sachets you make up with 500ml of warm water??) which contain the necessary electrolytes an hour before you walk/run them, and to take some with you as a preventative - make Pepper sit and drink for a few slurps during the walks a few times?

Let us know how you get on.  I love this site!

Denise

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2008, 07:49:20 PM »
In the film piece, he refers to low blood sugars (which you've had suggestions about) and low electrolytes.  Would it be worth getting Pepper and Liath to both have a drink of the rehydration liquids (you know the powder sachets you make up with 500ml of warm water??) which contain the necessary electrolytes an hour before you walk/run them, and to take some with you as a preventative - make Pepper sit and drink for a few slurps during the walks a few times?

Let us know how you get on.  I love this site!

Denise
its an idea but pepper prefers puddles! and at the run no stopping allowed!   :005:
 I think I will carry on as Im doing to see if I can get the bloods off her ( if she takes a turn ) without having extras to confuse things. Once thats done Ill just give her a small feed a couple of hours before taking her out on the long walks. Ill see what jimmy simpson suggests as well as he will get back to me about her once hes done her bloods.. then Ill know whats low and whats normal. Im almost tempted to re-enact the situation just to get it over and done with, but I dont want to see pepper so upset  and frightened. And I worry about what will happen if she collapses in thick cover ie gorse where I cant get to her. panic panic panic!

jimmy simpson has emailed me back and wants her bloods next time. she fits his criteria for research.
 I was out walking the dogs yeterday with my friend the vet so Ive prewarned her.

Oh that's great! I'm really glad he got back to you, hopefully it won't happen again but if it does then at least you'll be able to get some feedback from him.
whats the bets it happens on a sunday and the on call vets at a calving in durness? Oh the joys of being rural!  :005: ph34r