Author Topic: Arthritis - advice please  (Read 730 times)

Offline Perry

• Site Member
  • Barney
Arthritis - advice please
« on: September 30, 2011, 08:44:28 AM »
Hi, all - I haven't posted for ages but could do with some cocker advice.  Barney is 9 years old - we got him from Many Tears when he was 3 and he's wonderful.  He's always been in really good health but a couple of weeks ago he suddenly stopped jumping up on things (sofa, bed etc!)  I took him to our vets who thought she could feel some 'crepitus' in his back legs so she thinks its arthritis and has prescribed Onsior (I have also started giving him joint supplement tablets).  Unfortunately the tablets don't seem to be helping at all, he used to bounce along in front of me on his walks and even though I'm taking him on very short walks at the moment it's a real effort for him.  9 doesn't seem that old and it's come on so suddenly.  I just wondered if any of you with arthritic dogs could give me some advice - what does your vet prescribe or any alternative treatments that you think may help.  Any advice gratefully received.  Julia
Julia & Barney x

Offline Tiz

• Site Member
    • http://
Re: Arthritis - advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 09:24:10 AM »
Hi, I had a similar experience with Tuppence who is 10 years old.  It started a bout 6 weeks ago, exactly the same, not running about as much as usual (and she's normally like a 2 year old), wouldn't jump up and wouldn't go up or down the stairs.  It coincided with yet another phantom pregnancy, so I assumed this was the cause, but from experience the symptons only last for about 10 days.  Having sorted that side out and several trips to the vets to check there wasn't any other obvious cause, the conclusion was it must be joint problems, but like Barney, it all came on very quickly and there is no obvious signs of any pain. So my OH bought some joint support supplement tablets, the main ingredient being Glucosamine, with Chondroitin and Manganese and I started her on one a day last Saturday and, not wanting to tempt fate, she seems to be getting back to her normal self gradually.  Might just be coincidence but I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as I was advised that it might take a couple of weeks for the tablets to build up in her system.

I'm no expert, but it might be worth a try. There was another post on 19th September "weak back legs" which also mentioned Glucosamine, which is really what encouraged us to go down that road.

Hope Barney is feeling better soon and finds his bounce again.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 11:44:36 AM »
The most successful product we sell is GO4 which is pure glucosamine and given in tiny amounts but definately see a difference.  We also have very good reports from Cetyl M

I'll send you a link to a couple of other suggestions

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 12:17:06 PM »
Perhaps some further investigation would be necessary? X-rays perhaps (and MRI if necessary)? It might not be arthritis. Could it be a damaged cruciate for example? Or hypothyroidism (can also cause muscle weakness and lameness)? I'd be inclined to check this out a bit more rather than just settle on a possible arthritis diagnoses, especially as it came on so quickly!

If it is arthritis, these are worth trying:

Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplement (I use Liquid H&B Joint Care)
Green Lipped Mussel Extract
CSJ Get Over! herbs
CSJ Ake herbs (which is Devil's Claw)
Salmon Oil
Magnetic Collar
McTimoney chiropractic
Hydrotherapy
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 12:50:03 PM »
My 7 year old Springer has arthritis in both hips, we have been giving her Seraquin and the results have been brilliant.  :D  Perhaps worth a try?

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 01:32:57 PM »
Hi Perry

I feel I really must respond to your post.  Just over a year ago I could have said exactly the same thing about my cocker.  You said your vet said she "thought" she could feel something and has come to the conclusion that it is arthritis.  My vet did exactly the same.  Jarvis was prescribed pain killers, injections in his shoulders and nothing helped - he got worse and worse until I lost him from auto immune a few weeks later.  I don't want to frighten you at all but please, ask your vet to confirm the diagnosis of arthritis by x rays or blood tests.  You need a confirmed diagnosis, not just an assumption, like I had.  This is what I should have done a year ago but I trusted my vet then and was very naive.  Jarvis obviously had something more than arthritis that was not diagnosed by the vet.  This has made me very assertive now with any vet  (I did change vets afterwards, by the way), and I question them at length about anything I'm concerned about now.  I must be the owner from hell as far as vets are concerned  :005:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Perry

• Site Member
  • Barney
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 03:28:34 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.  I will definitely be making another visit to the vet or may be going to another one for a second opinion as I did feel a bit uneasy as she 'thought' it was probably arthritis and it did appear rather suddenly.  However, I will definitely continue with the supplements for the time being until I get a definite diagnosis as it can't do any harm.  Thank you so much everyone.
Julia & Barney x

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 04:42:36 PM »
Dallas is on Metacam oral suspension and 1000mg Ester C daily.

I hope you can find something that can help Barney  :luv:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 05:00:49 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.  I will definitely be making another visit to the vet or may be going to another one for a second opinion as I did feel a bit uneasy as she 'thought' it was probably arthritis and it did appear rather suddenly.  However, I will definitely continue with the supplements for the time being until I get a definite diagnosis as it can't do any harm.  Thank you so much everyone.

Only problem with that is you might mask the problem - might be worth letting the vets see at worse IYSWIM

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 07:49:05 PM »
I would defo recommend a magnetic collar we used one for my old boy and it was amazing seeing the difference in him  :D