Author Topic: Scooby Ate A Polystyrene Cup  (Read 6205 times)

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
Scooby Ate A Polystyrene Cup
« on: April 13, 2005, 12:42:58 PM »
Yesterday I was quite worried about Scooby - he didn't eat any breakfast whatsoever (he's not a brilliant eater but usually has a nibble anyway) and he just seemed really lethargic and miserable all morning.  I'd given him a sausage the day before and wondered whether that had upset him as I don't normally give him any "human" food.

At around 2 in the afternoon I put some food down for him and he had a little nibble and then ran outside, I kept an eye on him cause I thought he might of been sick etc. and saw he was having a couple of poos.  I went out to check them  :unsure:  and they were full of white polystyrene balls, absolutely tons, and when I looked around the garden there was diahorrea everywhere with polystyrene balls in  :o

I hunted around the garden and found the remains of what looked like a polystyrene cup - I don't know where it came from, probably been blown down the drive and into the garden.

Anyway, after he'd passed it he seemed a lot brighter and even ate most of his tea.  I was worried though in case it's poisonous to a dog, but presumably it isn't a he seems fine now  :)

You've got to have eyes in the back of your head  :rolleyes:  I've got a dog that'll eat anything apart from what he's supposed to  ;)
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 01:19:19 PM »
Seems to have passed through ok. I don't think the polystyrene itself would actually do any harm in that it is probably undigestable, but it could have blocked his intestine which would be a major problem.

In fact, I'd keep an eye on him. Having seen what he passed and what was left in the garden, do you think you can account for all of the cup?

The fact that he has had diarrhoea may mean that the solid stuff can't get past whatever may be left of the cup, and only the runny stuff can. I don't want to alarm you, but do watch him for a day or so.

Our Buddy is a prize scavenger too, I have already been finding thread from a rope toy, fuzz from tennis balls etc, bits of gravel and LOTS of plant leaf. We watch him, but he's quick!

Poor old Scooby does seem to get himself in the wars doesn't he?

Hope you have no more trouble from the cup anyway!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 03:33:32 PM »
:( Aw poor Scooby - glad he is a bit better now  :D

My two are devils for eating everthing too  :rolleyes:
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 05:28:48 PM »
Oh dear!! My Disney has eaten a couple of those but thankfully hasn't come to any harm. He will eat anything but the trouble is, he doesn't sit and chew on things so that you get a chance to remove them from his mouth, he just gulps them down. So far I have rescued bits of glass, drawing pins, batteries, a tube of foundation, the list just goes on and on.

I would keep an eye on Scooby for a day or two just to make sure he is 100% okay. We have a pup in at the moment who had eaten wire, elastic bands & string. It took 4 hours for two vets to get the stuff out and the wire was cutting through his insides. The poor thing is so sore and miserable and unfortunately isn't out of the woods :(  I just looked at him and though that will be Disney one day.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 05:37:49 PM »
=Gill,Apr 13 2005, 05:28 PM]
So far I have rescued bits of glass, drawing pins, batteries, a tube of foundation, the list just goes on and on.
Gosh - its so scary is'nt it  :blink:

We have a pup in at the moment who had eaten wire, elastic bands & string. It took 4 hours for two vets to get the stuff out and the wire was cutting through his insides. The poor thing is so sore and miserable and unfortunately isn't out of the woods

:) Awww poor sole - hope he/she gets better soon, fingers crossed x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline paddys mum

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 05:43:32 PM »
Poor scooby - hope its all gone through! :ph34r:  :unsure:  Hope he's feeling much better now.  :D
Nicola, Grace & Paddy xxx

Offline Sprout's

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 05:49:01 PM »
Poor Scooby
I hope he's feeling much better now.

You need eyes in the back of your head. Cockers seem to have a nose for the things they shouldn't find, don't they?

Jane

Offline Babylonian

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 08:55:31 PM »
Oh dear - this thread strikes a chord - I am currently monitoring jed after finding the remains of a child's red plastic spade while pooper scooping this morning, finding a half eaten plastic flowerpot in the garden and after last night when he snatched a kitchen foam pan scourer from a work top, took it in his crate and ate it...

And this dog is fed on Burns - he is obviuosly making a point!
Jed's mummy, living in Milngavie.

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 09:13:19 PM »
Oh dear - this thread strikes a chord - I am currently monitoring jed after finding the remains of a child's red plastic spade while pooper scooping this morning, finding a half eaten plastic flowerpot in the garden and after last night when he snatched a kitchen foam pan scourer from a work top, took it in his crate and ate it...

[snapback]116282[/snapback]
Aren't they a nightmare  :o

We have a large sandpit in the garden, full of plastic spades, buckets etc., and I have tried everything to keep Scooby out of it (by covering it etc.) but to no avail - he still gets in it, digs holes, and chews on all the plastic bits, he even carries the buckets around by the handle (and looks really cute  :P ).

What do you do though, I can't get rid of everything.  Every time I scoop up his poo theres something in it - I despair.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your concern - he's seems completely back to normal now  :) but gonna have to keep a closer eye on him.
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 10:21:21 AM »
That's good to hear.

Hadn't really given the sandpit much thought.......Guess we will have to be extra vigilant once it's opened up for the summer!

Offline padandmurph

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 01:36:18 PM »
Hope he's ok.  When Paddy was a puppy I had a feeling he had eaten my sons sock.  I took him to the vet who just said keep an eye on him but a few days later, we were out walking when Paddy was suddenly sick.  He'd bought the sock back up (I've never seen anything so disgusting in my life!)  He felt sorry for himself but other than that was ok.

Today I had to go out so I removed everything (or so I thought) from the hall because Murphy is a demon destroyer.  When I came back, Murphy had managed to chew the plastic top off a can of air freshener into pieces and had even pierced the aeresol can.  My hall smells very nice now though!

Offline paulb

• Site Member
    • http://barney.moonfruit.com
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 01:45:53 PM »
it is a worry, in three weeks barney will be coming home and in our garden we have loose stone paths (bigger than gravel) i am now worried that he will damage himself . :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:
paul
Barneys Website

With Best Wishes, Paulb, Evonne ,Ollie, Alice and of course the great Barney

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 02:46:30 PM »
Quote from: suzysu,Apr 13 2005, 04:37 PM
=Gill,Apr 13 2005, 05:28 PM]

We have a pup in at the moment who had eaten wire, elastic bands & string. It took 4 hours for two vets to get the stuff out and the wire was cutting through his insides. The poor thing is so sore and miserable and unfortunately isn't out of the woods
:) Awww poor sole - hope he/she gets better soon, fingers crossed x
[snapback]116163[/snapback]

He died yesterday evening :(  Think I'll just stitch Disney's mouth together!!!
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline taniac

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 03:11:15 PM »
Neo had a real thing for polystyrene when he was a puppy, if we were out walking and he came across some (amazing how much appears on the mead land), we would have a battle to get it off him  :rolleyes:

He never suffered any ill affects from it though.  Jovi eats loads of stuff (like stones, walls, wood, mats, dog beds etc).. I make sure he's not blocked up if I think he's swallowed whatever he's destroyed.  If he's not eating/going to the toilet he goes straight to the vets!   :unsure:
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 08:57:37 PM »
 :o
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais