Author Topic: Long Running Season  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Long Running Season
« on: March 09, 2004, 10:07:38 AM »
I am really worried.  Georgia's season started on 18th December.  I thought it would have been more or less finished by early January.  I noticed on 8th Jan that there was still a discharge and she had a really odd smell.  I took her to the vet the following day and she was prescribed some antibiotics; she had a uterine infection.

I took her back to the vet in mid February because she was still swollen and she just didn't seem herself.  She was getting grumpy with Candy again and I was scared they were going to start fighting again.

The vet said she was having a phantom pregnancy and it should be all over by the end of the month.

Well she is still really swollen and it looks an odd shape.  She is eating but very slowly and doesn't seem to have a huge appetite.  She's quite subdued -  not overly so but considering how she was before I can tell that's she not quite herself.  She keeps licking down below too.

On Sunday, she elicited a lot of attention from Jimmy.  He just would not leave her alone so she must still be giving off some kind of scent.  I understand from Colin that he was still quite unsettled for a good while when he got home too.

The vet said that I must bring her down for an ultrasound to see what's going on in her womb.  I can't go until Thursday evening so in the meantime I thought that I would post on here to see if anyone else has ever had this problem and if there's anything I can do.

Thanks.

Loraine  :(                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Long Running Season
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 03:43:00 PM »
Hi Loraine

Sorry to hear about Georgia's problem. I haven't experienced anything like this with our Cockers but have read about a condition called Persistent Estrus which might possibly account for Georgia's symptoms - there's some info on this excellent Labrador site: http://www.labbies.com/reproduction2.htm It could be something else of course but hopefully your vet will get to the bottom of things soon (sorry, unintentional pun :lol:)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Long Running Season
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 05:40:19 PM »
Good luck at the vets on Thursday, Loraine. :wink: Georgia seemed fine in herself to me, despite the irritating pestering she was getting from a lovecrazed Jimmy, so hopefully it's nothing serious. ( It took Jimmy two and half hours after the walk until he'd got Georgia off his mind and calmed down again, folks. :shock: )                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Long Running Season
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 06:33:35 PM »
I'll be very interested to hear the diagnosis Loraine - my springer Jazz has just been through a phase of constantly licking her bits accompanied by way too much attention from the boys in the park - yet her last season was last September, and her next one isnt due until next September - mightily puzzling!! :?                    

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
Long Running Season
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 09:23:03 PM »
Thanks for the link Jane.  I've had a quick read through it (my - what a lot of technical terms!  :shock: ) and there are some similarities.

Thanks for the kind comments Colin and Mike.  I will let you know the outcome.

Loraine.                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Long Running Season
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 10:49:52 PM »
My thoughts are with you Loraine, hope all is ok with Georgie x                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Long Running Season
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 10:52:08 PM »
Same here Loraine, will be thinking of you :)                    

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
Long Running Season
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 09:58:48 AM »
Georgia is at the vet this morning.  I had to leave her there so that she could be sedated and the vet can have a proper look at her.  The vet couldn't get anywhere near her last week; Georgia was wriggling and growling so much!  :?  :(  

I didn't think I'd feel quite so unsettled and leaving her there and not knowing what's up is so upsetting.  How on earth am I going to do anything at work this morning?                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Long Running Season
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 10:01:44 AM »
:( Awww Loraine, I am sure Georgia will be OK, once the vet can look at her,find whats causing the poblem, then I am sure you will feel much much better and so will Georgia :)

Thinking of you both today!                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Long Running Season
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 10:08:43 AM »
Awww Lorraine, i'm sure she will be fine.

The sooner mr vet  finds the problem, the sooner she will be back to her normal self.  :)

(((( hugs ))))  xx                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Long Running Season
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 06:01:01 PM »
Sorry Loraine, just catching today. How did Georgia get on today? Hope you are nearer to an answer.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
Long Running Season
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2004, 07:12:03 PM »
Well we're back and what a relief.  She has no womb infection and her bowels and bladder are fine.

It appears that Georgia is not ovulating.  The vet explained to me that she has a hormonal imbalance and, if it doesn't settle within the next 6 weeks, she will need to have further tests (these take a while) followed by hormone treatment.  However this is not guaranteed to work so there is a possibility that ultimately she will need to be spayed.  

So for the time being I have to treat her as if she is in season still (i.e., not off the lead or just confined to the garden) as her cycle is so messed up she could suddenly ovulate and become pregnant should she attract an 'experienced' male.  

It's difficult to know how long this will last - how long's a piece of string - so I just have to sit tight and see if it settles down of its own accord if not start on the hormone therapy.

Thank you all for your kind messages of support today.  I feel happier that it's nothing dire and provided I keep an eye on her she should be okay.

Loraine  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Long Running Season
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2004, 07:22:17 PM »
:D Awww Loraine, I am so pleased its nothing more serious :D   It must be  a relief for you!

Hopefully things will settle down soon for her :)                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Long Running Season
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2004, 08:16:19 PM »
I'm glad to hear it's nothing too serious, fingers crossed the hormonal treatment will sort things out for Georgia.

Having to wait a week before seeing the vet again must have been a nightmare, guaranteed to make bad thoughts slip into your head.                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Long Running Season
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2004, 10:13:50 PM »
Awww....give her a big kiss from me please. :wink:

Glad it's nothing serious Loraine and that it settles down.  She OK in herself now?                    
Mary & Lottie x