Author Topic: Scavenger!  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Scavenger!
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2004, 07:39:17 PM »
I think the most embarassing time with Boysie so far, was when we visited my mum who had not long since had her Sunday lunch with my brother and nephews. Someone must have spilt some gravy on her drop leg table. The table was down when we arrived, and then suddenly we spotted Boysie vigorously licking it- talk about showing you up!  :oops:                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Scavenger!
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2004, 09:04:01 PM »
Well Millie is a scavenger too ... especially bad with bread left out for ducks / birds  :oops: she investigates crisp packets, tissues, lolly pop sticks, horse poo, infact pretty much anything that can't run away is fair game to this girlie! she gets fed once a day, and gets milk bones and markies when we go out.. she is far from porky, but far from starving!!  :shock:

So far Jenni isn't interesting in 'human' food, whereas Millie is in the kitchen the minute you open the fridge, and strangely always has been ...
that said Millie won't eat all her dinner, but Jenni wolfs down her 4 meals .. wagging her lil'tail as she does .. who knows what she'll be like as she gets biger and can venture out into the big wide food filled world ... I'm sure Mil will have plenty of 'tricks' to teach her  :?  :?  :D                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline dog2

• Site Member
Scavenger!
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2004, 09:15:30 PM »
Benji scavenges for England and when being particularly naughty will jump up in a flash and steal a biscuit or something out of your hand.He always behaves like we dont feed him and will consider everything is edible on first sight.He gets a bit much sometimes and always 'tells' me that my husband hasnt fed him and 'tells' my husband that I havnt fed him either!!He came to us with a massive weight problem and so i cant use treats to get him to drop a rabbit or whatever he has managed to scrounge on our walks.He fell behind on a walk last week and when i found him he had eaten a whole cow pat.UGH :?                    

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Scavenger!
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2004, 03:05:05 PM »
I had the same problem with Neo when he was a puppy, although it didn't have to be edible stuff, polystyrene was a particular favourite (& a mobile phone keypad).  At advice from the vet we put him on a working dog food for a few months and gave him high fibre biscuits we got from the vets to help fill him up.  This seemed to do the trick and now he's not really interested in anything else other than his meals (he's 2).  I think the most embarrassing thing he ever did was eat a whole fish (mackerel I think) that a chap was using as fishing bait.. It was gone before I could stop him  :wink:

Jovi my puppy is the cow pat eater, and cat food stealer... I have started sitting him in front of a full cat bowl and clicking/treating when he doesn't go for it.. however once the lesson is over if I don't remove the bowl he'd finish the lot!!                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline gc

• Site Member
    • http://
Scavenger!
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2004, 09:15:32 AM »
There is a hard technique which I actually haven't ever done it and I don't know if it'll work but here it goes. I also read it here in the 'eating walls' problem.

Prepare a piece of chicken or something that your dog loves to eat. Drop it on the floor without seeing you. The piece of food must be filled with something really-really spicy... But beware, this might irritate his intestine. A few cases I've heard from people here who tried it, said that it
helped, but I don't have personal experience.
Anyone else who's done it?                    
George.
The truth is out there..... and a cocker can easily find it ;-)