Author Topic: Battered And Bruised !  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Emma&Harry

• Site Member
  • Avatar disabled by Pammy until it is resized ;)
Battered And Bruised !
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2005, 07:15:03 PM »
Harry would not walk with a collar and lead - he has a check lead, which i was not too happy about using but when used properly with a jerk when he starts pulling, PLUS walking him on the lead without going for a run off lead so he knows he cant always expect to go to the park, PLUS making him sit for 10 seconds intermittently so that he is concentrating and knows that I am centre of attention - HAS really worked for him. but i do have to be strict, give him an inch and he'll be dragging me a mile!!  

he does walk beutifully when he is concentrating.

Plus, as he is concentrating on walking, sitting by the curb, etc etc - he is getting lots of exercise. and i have more control over him than i ever did before.

xx my working cocker works very hard at being a lap dog xx

Sue H

Battered And Bruised !
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2005, 08:16:55 PM »
For simple pulling, I would recommend the Gentle Leader - it can be adjusted to fit better than the Halti, and simply it focuses the pivotal balance on the dog's head - whereas if he lunges or pulls with a harness or Halti, all you do is physically pull him to a halt... with the GL the pivot is on his head, so you can avert all the sniffing, lunging etc, simply by pulling across your body, and you have control of the dog without being hard on their neck or body ...  It is especially good for dogs who seem careless of their upper vertebrae !!!

They all resent something physical on their faces at first, but this is much better than them dragging at a collar, or being pulled around on a harness...  You can still use your collar and lead, and have the GL lead in your other hand so that you can simply correct them gently if they are being silly ...

There is no way a Cocker should be pulling someone off their feet - no-one wants to crush their natural exuberance, but they need to know that this is a way that they get to do their favourite things, so perseverance is required!!

Bramble is 3 in October and still witters and leaps around and generally is silly when he knows he is going out .. he does know how much we tolerate, however, and you need to do that sort of thing in the same way that you taught themn when to get off the settee etc!

Offline Lynne1

• Site Member
Battered And Bruised !
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2005, 06:55:44 PM »
Charlie is now 19months old and weighs a whopping 18kg (vet says not overweight) and each day is becoming a battle. I have just come back from attempting to take him to the park but he has squeeled and danced and pulled me in all directions untill he has finally pulled me over and there I sat on the pavement hanging on to him for dear life.
I have tried everything to get him to walk properley. He went to puppy training and was the worst one there. I have also spent £200.00 on a personal trainer who took him for 2 weeks as well when I was on holiday but when she brought him back she said she didn't know how I coped with him and charged me an extra £25 cos he'd dug up a favourite plant!!
I am only 5'2'' and the bigger he gets the harder I'm finding it. I don't drive so I can't get him to anymore classes and Ilive alone .
I love him so much and am so sad that he doesn't get all the walks he needs because I can't handle him.
I know there isn't anything that any of you can do but I just needed to get it off my chest as this morning has really upset me.
Jane
[snapback]107364[/snapback]
[snapback]115949[/snapback]

Hi there Jane, I was just flicking through the pages and was reading your story about Charlie, how are you getting on with him, Roz one of my dogs does exactly the same but coming back from a walk she is fine on her lead, whereas Cal my other girl just holds her lead when we go walkies look forward to hearing from you soon byeeee

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Battered And Bruised !
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2005, 07:51:21 PM »
Jane - sorry no advice, my two are not the best in the world on a lead  :rolleyes: .......so sorry you are having problems - the lead Linda recommends sounds worth a try.

;) Good luck, hope it helps xxxxxxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

hafod

Battered And Bruised !
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005, 06:50:05 PM »
For simple pulling, I would recommend the Gentle Leader - it can be adjusted to fit better than the Halti,

hafod

Battered And Bruised !
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 06:56:17 PM »
For simple pulling, I would recommend the Gentle Leader - it can be adjusted to fit better than the Halti,
[snapback]121550[/snapback]
Hello Sue, my Gold pup who is now over 5 months  has taken 12 weeks to train to a halti, and I had to alter the number 2 size to fit him, as he could not bear the 1st smaller size.He is over 12 kilos now and stands about 16inches .Now he walks pretty good but switches from side to side so we constantly have to switch hands.He also paws his face even after 12 weeks if he pulls too much and the Halti tightens.Where do you get the Gentle leader from please? as I haven't seen any of those.I get enough comments from the public with the Halti, one person said I was cruel for using a muzzle!!!$£$%%
I would like to add that for years we have successfully used the Halti on all our dogs,but this is the 1st one that has rebelled and disliked it so much.

Offline PennyB

Battered And Bruised !
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2005, 07:02:36 PM »
[snapback]121550[/snapback]
Hello Sue, my Gold pup who is now over 5 months  has taken 12 weeks to train to a halti, and I had to alter the number 2 size to fit him, as he could not bear the 1st smaller size.He is over 12 kilos now and stands about 16inches .Now he walks pretty good but switches from side to side so we constantly have to switch hands.He also paws his face even after 12 weeks if he pulls too much and the Halti tightens.Where do you get the Gentle leader from please? as I haven't seen any of those.I get enough comments from the public with the Halti, one person said I was cruel for using a muzzle!!!$£$%%
I would like to add that for years we have successfully used the Halti on all our dogs,but this is the 1st one that has rebelled and disliked it so much.
[snapback]121556[/snapback]

As he's only still quite young have you tried teaching him to walk properly on a flat collar if he hates the halti so much. With persistence and a lot of patience and the help of my 1-2-1 trainer and training classes I managed to get mine to walk quite well on a lead.

At 5 months of age none of mine walked very well on a lead either but I got there in the end with a lot of patience
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline MummyJane

• Site Member
    • http://
Battered And Bruised !
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2005, 07:06:58 PM »
I have had the same problem with Alfie pulling.  When I walk him I usually have a pushchair with a buggy board as well as with dh away, we all have to go out together.  I recently bought a halti which has been a godsend.  Works a treat for us, I wonder if it is worth perservering with one  :unsure: I also ordered a lupi harness at the same time and we tried that the other day and it was equally sucessful.  I hope things improve for you, the halti harness looks really good and I have heard great things about it.

Best of luck,

Jane  ((hugs))

Offline PennyB

Battered And Bruised !
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2005, 07:12:48 PM »
I have had the same problem with Alfie pulling.  When I walk him I usually have a pushchair with a buggy board as well as with dh away, we all have to go out together.  I recently bought a halti which has been a godsend.  Works a treat for us, I wonder if it is worth perservering with one  :unsure: I also ordered a lupi harness at the same time and we tried that the other day and it was equally sucessful.  I hope things improve for you, the halti harness looks really good and I have heard great things about it.

Best of luck,

Jane  ((hugs))
[snapback]121560[/snapback]

Not sure which ones but some of the harnesses designed to stop dogs pulling can also cause injuries.

There's a 'Canny collar' that some find useful:

Canny collar

and trpd do a head collar (their own version of a gentle leader) that works quite well as well (someone suggested she found it also useful for her barky dog to stop him barking while out) (their money goes to charity, and all stuff made by a petcraft project in South Wales)

TRPD forum

TRPD petcraft project

Pix of trpd figure of 8 (gentle leader) and halti in middle of this link page
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Battered And Bruised !
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2005, 07:15:00 PM »
Just a thought but no one has mentioned the Lupi harness. I bought one for Oscar in desperation when all else had failed (including the Gentle leader). Its fab! Oscar now weighs 35 kg and I don't stand a chance of hanging on to him when he pulls unless he has the Lupi on. Might be worth a try. :D
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

sweetie

Battered And Bruised !
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2005, 07:36:33 PM »
As for the extra £25.00, id have told her where to stick it, surely its occupational Hazard, she should have clamied it off her insurance.

Did you get your £200.00 for her failures...?
[snapback]107755[/snapback]
agree what a mong,,charging you for a plant :blink: what sort of plant cost 25quid anyway :blink:

sorry no advice but hope it all works out for you hun ;) xxx