Author Topic: My Dogs Got Dandruff  (Read 1293 times)

Offline AliceB

• Site Member
My Dogs Got Dandruff
« on: May 13, 2005, 10:24:05 PM »
Can anyone recommend a suitable treatment, before I wash him with head & shoulders?

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
My Dogs Got Dandruff
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 10:32:38 PM »
Dont use head and shoulders its far too harsh for their coats and can make the problem worse.

Are you sure its dandruff and not just where you havent rinsed properly? Also how old is he as pups often have areas of dry flakey skin which clears up with regular grooming.

If it really is dandruff then a tea tree shampoo should help. If its something more like Seborrheic Dermatitis then you will need to get shampoo from the vet

Caroline and Alfie

Offline AliceB

• Site Member
My Dogs Got Dandruff
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 10:38:42 PM »
Dont use head and shoulders its far too harsh for their coats and can make the problem worse.

Are you sure its dandruff and not just where you havent rinsed properly? Also how old is he as pups often have areas of dry flakey skin which clears up with regular grooming.

If it really is dandruff then a tea tree shampoo should help. If its something more like Seborrheic Dermatitis then you will need to get shampoo from the vet
[snapback]126743[/snapback]
[snapback]126745[/snapback]
[snapback]126748[/snapback]
He's 10 months old & also he gets spots on his tummy which the vet tells me are like 'teenage spots'. I was only joking about head n shoulders, I wouldn't really use that on him, it was just that I didn't know what to use! I'll try tea tree oil shampoo. Thank you

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
My Dogs Got Dandruff
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 10:49:57 PM »
It could be diet related, what do you feed him on?

Offline AliceB

• Site Member
My Dogs Got Dandruff
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 11:02:22 PM »
It could be diet related, what do you feed him on?
[snapback]126756[/snapback]

Iams with a tiny bit of grated cheese mixed in

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
My Dogs Got Dandruff
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 08:06:40 AM »
It could be his food. Iams does not suit all dogs, also the grated cheese might not be helping either.

Try the Tea Tree shampoo first though - if that doesn't work then I'd consider changing his diet maybe to Nutro, James Wellbeloved or Burns. Nutro Lamb n Rice is good for dogs with flaky skin.

Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Bellbellsmum

• Site Member
    • http://
My Dogs Got Dandruff
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 06:31:54 PM »
I was just about to post the same problem!

Bella has got the worst dandruff ever!
Her coat is naturally really short so I dont have to brush her at all. Although I do to get her used to it.  She is also 10 months old.

I looked at her skin and its like really dry skin.  No patches just flakey skin which is leaving her with terrible white scurf!

I feed her Burns so I doubt its her diet, and only natural treats like pigs ears and dried (yuk) tripe.

We bath her about once a month. We used to bath her most weeks during winter but its worse since we lessened the baths.

I was using a puppy shampoo but changed to a tea tree one so thats made it worse rather than better  :unsure:

Any advice would be welcomed  :D
Laura and Bella (Bellyflops) xxxxxx

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
My Dogs Got Dandruff
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 09:17:10 AM »
the best shampoo is Johnsons medicated, its spefically for scurf, a friend who is a dog groomer suggested it as its also very mild. Scurf is often a reaction to a food intolerance, just because you are feeding Burns doesn't mean she isn't intolerant to one of the ingredients such as chicken or lamb.
If its just dry skin then good old sardines in oil should help :)

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
My Dogs Got Dandruff
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 09:33:14 AM »
I feed her Burns so I doubt its her diet, and only natural treats like pigs ears and dried (yuk) tripe.
[snapback]127068[/snapback]
I've found that Burns gave some of our dogs a dry coat - I think it's lower in oil than some other complete foods. You could try supplementing with Evening Primrose or Starflower Oil or feed some oily fish now & again.

Jane
Jane

Offline kookie

• Site Member
My Dogs Got Dandruff
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 03:07:42 PM »

Her coat is naturally really short so I dont have to brush her at all. Although I do to get her used to it.  She is also 10 months old.

Even if a dogs coat is really short, they should still be brushed. It is stimulating and good for the skin and coat, and can have a good bonding effect too.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline marioma

• Site Member
    • http://
My Dogs Got Dandruff
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 06:03:13 AM »

Her coat is naturally really short so I dont have to brush her at all. Although I do to get her used to it.  She is also 10 months old.

Even if a dogs coat is really short, they should still be brushed. It is stimulating and good for the skin and coat, and can have a good bonding effect too.
[snapback]127643[/snapback]

i have the same problem with mario 2. i'm feeding candidae now (just changed 3 wks ago).  had used t3 spray on him to reduce the dandruff but doesn't seem to have much effect.
his coat is quite soft & shiny so doubt it's dry skin.
can anyone advise how else can i reduce his dandruff?