Author Topic: Not Play Biting!  (Read 2809 times)

Penel

Not Play Biting!
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2005, 11:42:15 AM »
she also gave us more tips on how to stop the biting she said to grab him by the scruff of the neck and shake him a bit but i wont be doing that it seems too harsh  she did it in the vets an he sqealed sooo much 

this is appalling advice from anyone, let alone a vet :o .  I am really glad you can see that this is too harsh - stick to the advice on COL and you'll do fine !  :)

Offline molliesmum

• Site Member
Not Play Biting!
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2005, 03:03:54 PM »
<_< oh dear it looks like a lot of us are having problems with puppy play biting,myself and hubby  have bite marks and scars on our hands and arms from our darling mollie's antics,the advice from the col members has been great, but at the moment nothing is working,mollie is now 12 weeks old and teething,so we are still trying to overcome the bite bite bite problems,we both adore mollie and i am sure that she will grow out of the crocodile phase,in the mean time i can only say to the rest of you who are going through the same problems, dont give up on your puppy,and try doing what the col members suggest,it may work for you ,and in another few months we will look back on the little monsters we have at the moment,and be reading about new members puppy problems and thinking ,oh yes,  been there, and giving words of encouragement along with the rest of the col members,special thanks to penny b,for all the advice,love to all puppies,dogs and the people they own. not benn on site for a while mollie chewed through my comp modem wire !!      chris, mollies mum

Offline Bo's Mum

• Site Member
    • http://
Not Play Biting!
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2005, 07:07:41 PM »
Thanks Caroline for your advice, I will use some of you technics  :)

I have told my husband today about these messages and he was so much more relieved to know that after all he did not have a demented dog that was going to stay like this forever ...
[snapback]132140[/snapback]

yeah im the same thought a had a demen pup but now iknow its perfectly normal behaviour and that some dogs just bite more than others

an yeah cant believe the vet said to do that to him it seemed sooo harsh needless to say Bo was not a happy chap with that vet (he liked the other one she gave him treats lol )

and glad to say this is the second day that the biting has calmed down not sure if its cuz the injections but whatever it is its making me and Bo happier  :P
carly x

Offline Millie-Moo

• Site Member
Not Play Biting!
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2005, 06:32:07 PM »
Thank god I'm not the only 1 with a monster for a puppy!  For a time I thought mine was an exception & was gettin so bitey also thought she had rage!  Thankfully over the last couple of wks she seems to be calming down.  We too had tried EVERYTHING ( 'no', squealing, scruff of neck, ignore, toys, chews etc) but I just dont think we had tried them for long enough cos we thought that she'd automatically get the idea that "no" or whatever = bad  straightaway!!!  We were getting really frustrated which made her frustrated and made her worse.

We've now found that putting her in her crate when she gets over excited really helps & also when she gets really wound up and bitey then we put a cover over her so she can tell the difference between going in there for bed, when we go out & when she HAS to go in there cos she's been naughty!  It calms her down loads!!!  We have also reduced her walks cos we think she was getting over excited being young & seeing sooo many new exciting things.  She still has her moments but at 14 wks we think she's just about getting the idea - just persevere!!!

Offline Allison

• Site Member
    • http://
Not Play Biting!
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2005, 07:15:03 PM »
I can only reitterate what other users have said, its normal puppy behaviour, but I was there my self 2.5 years ago when Sally was a pup.  One night I was sat eating my tea and she hurtled over jumped at my face and bit my hands and drew blood, I was so upset. My other half came home and I was in floods of tears infact I came onto COL and posted a desparate post.  The pups baby teeth will be falling out in about 6 weeks and you will find it gets a little better AFTER they have gone meanwhile you will just have to try and train the best way you can.

Sally is now the most beautiful dog with the softest mouth you could ever touch shes like velvet. :)  :) But we were once convinced she was the puppy from Hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:  :lol:
Allison, Neil & Sally.xxxxxxxxxx