Author Topic: A BARF Diary.  (Read 54205 times)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: A BARF Diary.
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2006, 09:20:01 PM »
Can I just hi-jack briefly to ask a question please?

I read that we should add fish oil a couple of times a week. Then recently I read that it should be fish body oil, not cod liver oil.

Oops, that's what I've been giving!

Can someone explain the reason for using the fish body oil rather than cod liver oil please? And what sort should I get?

I am not adding any other supplements at the moment. Have just looked at the Dorwest site and don't think there's anything there that Buddy neds at the moment. But I am happy to be corrected. It was only when I looked at that site and saw that the only fish oil they have is cod liver oil, that I thought I'd just ask.

NOT anal, honestly (but how big should the sardines be?) :005:!

Offline kate.s

• Site Member
    • Ghost Tours UK
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2006, 09:24:05 PM »
Having been inspired by what I have read about BARF and sick to death of trying to force food down Sam then ending up worrying when he doesn't eat I went to PAH, the butchers and a local pet shop today.

I came home with a bag of the ready made natures diet BARF to try Sam on and tomorrow I'm going to buy some chicken wings. Enquired at the butchers about bones but he said he couldn't give me bones so tomorrow I'm going to try a different one.
Also have discovered that my local pet shop has a freezer full of raw meat and sells it cheaper than PAH.

So......when do I take the plunge? Do I start with wings or give him a small portion of the ready mixed BARF.

I got the ready made just to try but I do intend on doing my own veg.

And well done to all you successful BARFers  :D
Love Kate and Sam xxx

Penel

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2006, 09:39:04 PM »
Do I start with wings or give him a small portion of the ready mixed BARF.

I would start with the ready mixed for a few days and see how his tummy gets on with it.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2006, 10:58:39 PM »
:005: :005:
So Fern is still alive and kicking then?
  :lol: Oh yes very much so Joules. It was all quite an anticlimax really (sorry Penel -couldn't resist the choice of word   :shades:). It's the run up to feeding BARF that is the scary part. Once you've begun it isn't nearly as stressful as you thought it would be.

Hurrah, isn't BARF fun?  :D
Yup  :005:

Fern had about 150g of chicken mince & whizzed veg that evening. She sniffed and ate slowly, seeming to savour every mouthful, licked the bowl clean and went back for another lick after a few minutes just to make sure. Afterwards I gave her a piece of turkey(or a giant chicken's :o )neck. I wasn't too sure about these as they appear to be cut crossways quite thinly and as a consequence are swallowable whole. I did however hear a couple of quick crunches before it disappeared and it didn't make a reappearance so I guess it was OK...

BARF Day 2 & an encounter with Real chicken Wings.
Fern had the first of the A.M.P.chicken wings an hour or two before her usual dinner time as we had been out for a long run and I felt she was hungry. I was a bit taken aback to discover that frozen chicken wings for working dogs come with some feathers still attached  :o and, compared to the tiny little supermarket variety, it was huge  :o  :005: and had extra bones sticking out of it. Having weighed it and found it to be about 175g I was a little confused as to how much meat I should feed her that night. Rachel (IWLass) feeds Molo according to the barf club guide http://www.ukbarfclub.co.uk/nm/anmviewer.asp?a=19
which is  100-150g of meat per 10kg of dog with bones and veg on top of that. I was going to follow that as a guide too.  Fern is 11.25Kg  and that meant that she should be having 120-175g of meat per day.I had no idea what proportion of the wing was bone and what was meat  :huh:  :huh: . I eventually decided that it really wasn't that important, that in the wild, dogs don't eat for days sometimes and they certainly don't weigh their prey before they tuck in :005:.
It took Fern a little longer to pluck up courage with this one. Although she sniffed it interestedly, I had to encourage her to 'take it' several times before she became brave enough to take up this weighty feathery thing -that seemed very much like a part of the young fluttery feathery things she is always being told to 'leave' when out on walks on the shoot. After much 'go on, good girl, take it- goood girl!' s she crunched it all down feathers an' all.
Dinner that night consisted of approx 120g of heart chunks, and a small piece of turkey neck for pud which was devoured in exactly the same manner as the night before - perhaps a little quicker or am I imagining it? The heart chunks seem quite fatty, which would not be welcome in many a human diet, but having read my barf books I now know that fat is good for dogs, in proportion of course.
She also had a raw carrot later, only I have to feed the first few inches to her in slices one at a time, or she will just wander around with it in her mouth and then drop it usually just where you are going to trip over it  ::). Once she's been fed the thick end she will take the rest off to her basket and crunch away.
I noticed tonight that as soon as I removed the whizzed vegetables from the fridge and took the top off the container she was up and sniffing....
Her whole body was trembling with anticipation as she excitedly ran her nose from side to side
To be continued....

:005:

taken out of context this could be rather saucy  :005:
That all depends on what your normal reading material is  :005:. 'Seek and ye shall find' Penel  :shades:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2006, 11:36:56 PM »
LouiseAS- I'm glad it's helped. Good Luck.
Can I just hi-jack briefly to ask a question please?

I read that we should add fish oil a couple of times a week. Then recently I read that it should be fish body oil, not cod liver oil.

Oops, that's what I've been giving!

Can someone explain the reason for using the fish body oil rather than cod liver oil please? And what sort should I get?

I am not adding any other supplements at the moment. Have just looked at the Dorwest site and don't think there's anything there that Buddy neds at the moment. But I am happy to be corrected. It was only when I looked at that site and saw that the only fish oil they have is cod liver oil, that I thought I'd just ask.

NOT anal, honestly (but how big should the sardines be?) :005:!
  Why do you need to add fish oil Annette? Buddy is eating his sardines isn't he?
You can overdose Cod liver oil because as well as providing EFA's it is a source of Vitamins A and D both of which are fat soluble and therefore excesses tend to get stored in the body rather than flushed through the system.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2006, 07:05:29 AM »
I'm not feeding any supplements on the basis that if Coco is getting a wide variety of food, she won't need them.

Do I need to give her supplements too then?   :huh:
Julie and Watson

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2006, 08:34:25 AM »
I've been adopting a "safety first" approach with the supplements - nothing I'm giving Pads will overload his system and unabsorbed excess will be pee'd or poo'd out, since the only problem one would be Vit A as Happydog has noted above.

I'm using Keeper's Mix from Dorwest Herbs - just stir some of the powder into his minced meat meal, with his veg.  It's alfalfa, pysillium husks (an excellent source of fibre - great for humans too if you're prone to IBS or any kinds of digestive or bowel problems) and various herbs and minerals - so I see it as the equivalent of giving Paddy a multivitamin/mineral tablet a day.

I'm giving him sardines (not keen) and mackerel at least once a week but also give him a fish oil (and not the cod liver oil)tablet (I spear it and drain the oil into his mince - watch out to make sure you puncture the capsule on the underside, otherwise you can get it squirting all over the work surface or (on one occasion) straight onto my glasses!) twice a week.

I'm also adding an acidophilus tablet (one of these "pull apart" capsules) which I empty the powder into his mince - daily.  This is because of his colitis though.

I'd go with what your comfortable with: if you think your dog's coat isn't as glossy as you'd like, then try the fish oil a few times a week and see if it helps, for instance.

Frankly, when I think of the crap that goes into my body on top of the good stuff, it makes me realise that whatever I do, Pads will always have a better, more balanced diet than I've got!

Annette - the other reason for avoiding the cod liver oil is that heavy metals and other pollutants get stored in the liver, so as well as the Vits A & D overdose risk, you'd have to buy wild/organic cod liver oil (which is prohibitively expensive) to minimise the pollutants.

Denise

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2006, 02:11:54 PM »
Bella gets tinned fish once or twice a week but I also add other oils to her food 3-4 times a week, rotating with salmon oil and evening primrose oil - from what I understand (I may be wrong) you need to make sure they get the correct mix of Omegas and some of these they would get naturally from eating the brains of their prey but if they're not eating brains, they need to get them elsewhere. I've read that they need Omega 3, 6 and 9.

The only other supplement Bella normally gets is Keeper's Mix when I remember it. She has garlic and parsley added to her pulped veg when I do them at the beginning of each month.
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2006, 02:23:45 PM »
Claire - I only found out a week or two ago that we need Omega's 3, 6 and 9 too - doh!  Hadn't even realised there was an Omega 9......

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2006, 06:40:24 PM »
Claire - I only found out a week or two ago that we need Omega's 3, 6 and 9 too - doh!  Hadn't even realised there was an Omega 9......

I was going to mention it too - I buy omega 3,6,9 capsules from Holland and Barratt and put a few in with the veg when I blend it; I pick out the capsule cases out when I put the veg in the ice cube trays  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2006, 07:02:34 PM »
I have been giving Dill Omega 3, but will head off to H&B for some 3,6,9 capsules (sounds like Olivers 3x table... :005:)

Petra

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2006, 09:31:27 PM »
As a beginner BARFer, if I give them Keepers Mix and Omega 3,6,9 is that all the supplements they will need?

Where I get my vitamins from do the Omega 3,6,9 1000mg caps are they ok? How much should I give a week between the three of them (13kg, 28kg and 32kg dogs)
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline kate.s

• Site Member
    • Ghost Tours UK
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2006, 08:51:04 AM »
We are on day 2 of our conversion to BARF. Sam had the ready mixed BARF yesterday and was fine with it, a little dubious but he ate most of what I put down for him.

This morning was a different story, I added some extra broccoli to his ready made BARF and he polished the lot off.

I looked in the pet shops locally and none stock chicken wings for dogs (PAH near me have stopped in case they get sued) but they do have them in morrisons, are these safe to use?

Where can I get a turkey neck and when you give sardines and tuna do you use the tinned ??

Questions, questions, it's a good job that there is cockers online, the pet shop owners look at me as if I'm mad when I ask for chicken wings and poultry necks
Love Kate and Sam xxx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2006, 08:55:01 AM »
I looked in the pet shops locally and none stock chicken wings for dogs (PAH near me have stopped in case they get sued) but they do have them in morrisons, are these safe to use?

I've always bought "human grade" chicken wings, I didn't know pets shops sold them  ph34r
Try your local butcher, they are soooo much cheaper than Morrisons (I got over 60 wings for under £3 yesterday  :D)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2006, 09:10:13 AM »
I give tinned sardines and pilchards - I get the ones in tomato sauce and Coco loves them  :D

I get chicken wings from Tesco or Asda - I expect they are better quality than the pet shop ones!  Will try my butcher though - thanks for the tip Rachel.   ;)
Julie and Watson