Author Topic: Diet or health issue?  (Read 1459 times)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Diet or health issue?
« on: July 24, 2007, 04:31:48 PM »
Jasper is loosing his waistline and I don't think it is quantity of food he eats, he is a naturally big dog, taller than breed standard etc and has 150 - 200 g of raw meat with small amount of added veg/fruit , sometimes a chicken wing or rib but less food to compensate twice a day. He usually has chicken or beef mince, sometimes lamb. He has perhaps half hand (max) of Autarky in the mince to break it up a little.

He isn't given treats other than a tripe stick or meaty treat in morning and bedtime when they are put to bed for work or night. He doesn't scavenge treat between meals.  I have even started to put treats into a ball to make him work harder to get.

Jasper has gone from being very picky about what he eats to scoffing it all although he still waits to be told to come and get it, however he is becoming an opportunist thief if given a chance when he didn't used to bother so if anything I would say he is hungry.

He has the same exercise he's always had and although steadier which I put down to maturity, he still gallops off with Louie (though he'd never keep up) and enjoys jumping over visitors and playing with dogs when walking. He is 2 years old.  His coat shines and he seems in good health.

Does it sound like too much food? Should I reduce his feeds to one a day?  Extra exercise (gets 2 loose walks a day) is difficult at the moment but working on that.

Also wondered whether worth getting blood test in case it is thyroid or am I paranoid?  I know the vets going to comment when he has his vaccine next week!  ph34r

He never will be a delicate little show cocker and perhaps thats what I (and the vet) am wrongly comparing him with after visiting the cocker championships  ::) About to remove some excessive coat, that'll knock off a few pounds in weight!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Boof

• Site Member
Re: Diet or health issue?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 04:38:13 PM »
I'm not sure what to suggest really but I know one thing for certain; Jasper is gorgeous.  :luv:

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »
Can you feel his ribs? You should be able to just by running your hand down his rib cage. They shouldn't stick out(oddly don't think they'll be doing that  :005:) but you also shouldn't have to go digging for them. If you can't feel them fairly easily then he is too heavy and if he is getting the right diet and exercise you might need to think about a possible heath link.

But just like people some are always going to be heavier than others and some thinner. If you saw my Jasper - he has the skinniest legs yet he's always on the go. Buddy on the other hand is much chunkier. But you can still feel the ribs on them both easily - but not too easily. They get the same food and exercise - although Jasp tends to get a bit extra food.

hth
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 07:22:35 PM »
Thank you for responding - I can feel his rib cage and though it has covering it's not too hard to feel individual ribs IYSWIM.  When he sits down he tends to slouch (compared to Louie who sits quite vertically)  which makes him look fatter and he does have a roll down towards tail where you can "pinch more than the inch" again when he's sat.

I'd like to convince myself it is just this one young vet who has just compared him to the "average chart" and who's not filled me with confidence each time I see him, when he goes in for vaccinations I am going to ask for one of the other more experienced vets and hopefully get another opinion.

Proportionally I don't think he is obese he does however weigh 20.3 kg. Is 300g of food a day too much?

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 03:04:56 PM »
You're feeding him raw mince and Autarky together?  Is this a kibble?  As a starting point, I'd stop mixing them together - each will interfere with the proper digestion of the other.  Are you feeding any raw meaty bones or organ meat (kidney and liver - heart and lungs don't count)?  He must be big - Paddy is fully grown and only 12kg, but he's small for a boy.  If you can feel his ribs easily (light covering not a centimetre's worth of flesh over them) and he's got a nice trim waist, dipping in well from behind the ribcage, then he's not fat.  So ignore the charts! 

Denise

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 03:07:40 PM »
..no advice sorry ..he looks lovely to me  :luv:  Hope it is'nt anything medical and just his normal build  ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 04:23:14 PM »
 :o
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline magicflower

• Site Member
  • Ruby-doos!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 04:49:51 PM »
I can't really advise you but I am sure you'll get some advice from much wiser ones than me!  ;)

Jasper is such a lovely boy!  :luv:  :luv: I hope everything gets sorted out for you and him.

Tracey, Ruby and Boomer xx

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 08:48:10 PM »
can we have an above pic  :D im looking at jaspers hind legs and he looks like hes got nice big bones . he dosent look that big to me from that photo .you have to consider his frame .

He is a big dog, always has been and there is probably a thick layer of excessive coat until clipper blades arive - then he'll be 1 kg lighter.

I have dropped the Autarky though.

Here are some photos