Author Topic: Chicken wings  (Read 5881 times)

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2004, 02:15:35 PM »
Alfie loves his chicken wings and I only have to mention the word ' Boney' and his eyes light up and he runs up and sits at my feet like a very obedient border collie. (except that's as far as it goes) :roll:
I feed him with raw tripe or mince and chopped up veg as well, he seems to love it and if I try him with any free samples of other food that I get he won't eat them so I end up giving them away. :roll:                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

scoobie

Chicken wings
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2004, 03:15:19 PM »
Hi Lou and alfie nice to meet another raw cocker feeder
Edith and scoobie                    

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Chicken wings
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2004, 10:38:05 PM »
Hi,
I,ve been following a natural raw diet with my 18mth old cocker called Penny for her whole life and I'm very impressed with it.  She has a cereal and herb with milk mixture  5 days a week followed by raw meat (chicken, turkey, rabbit, breast of lamb etc) coated in wheatgerm, crushed nuts, crushed herbs, oil,kelp and other such things as ground egg shell and raw eggs several times per week. Raw bones always follow the meat meal as this gives a protective coating to the lining of the stomach. The bones may be chicken wings or breast of lamb bones.On the 6th day she has a meat free day to help rest her kidneys and on the 7th she fasts. (as in the wild no hunter could catch food every day). In the wild state the dogs natural diet would be raw meat so catching salmonella is not a consideration for her, but I am very careful when I handle her meat because the risk to me is a significant one.                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

scoobie

Chicken wings
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2004, 08:51:03 AM »
Hi bluegirl and penny
nice to meet you and it's great to know their are other raw cocker feeders out there. It sounds as if penny has a fab diet I know what you mean about handling raw meat I always always wash my hands whilst sorting scoobies food and always keep raw food seperate in fridge..just common sense stuff
Edith and scoobie                    

scoobie

Chicken wings
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2004, 08:57:08 AM »
Sorry lou just realised alfie is a collie and not a cocker
Edith and scoobie                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2004, 09:09:36 AM »
Alfie is definitely a cocker, Edith - Lou was just saying her is obedient like a border collie when she is dishing out the chicken wings  :D                    

Offline Allison

• Site Member
    • http://
Chicken wings
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2004, 09:35:12 AM »
Sorry to put a downer on this but I was speaking to a Vet on the local radio and she said under no circumstances should you feed chicken bones to cockers, she said she had done too many operations to remove bones from the intestines, she also said the dogs get severe constipation. I gave Sally chicken wings last week and she was just fine, since taking her off them she is back to scooting again,so I may start to feed them to her twice a week.                    
Allison, Neil & Sally.xxxxxxxxxx

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2004, 10:47:12 AM »
Mmmmmm.... I do agree Alison that too much bone causes constipation, but these cases are caused by people who don't read up on the subject thoroughly and don't feed enough meat with the bone. chicken wings are universally thought by the raw feeding camp to be the best because they have a good 50/50 meat to bone ratio :lol:  :lol:

In my opinion you will never get most vets to condone this method of feeding as it puts their livelihood at risk :lol:   This vet said she has done too many operations, how many exactly is this??  I would want to know exact data myself before it convinced me to change something that is actually working for your dog :lol:   Dogs should strain to pass a hard stool that will empty the glands, this is NORMAL.  

Personally, this would not put me off :lol:   chicken wing bones are young and soft and easily digested.  

You say that Sally has been fine since feeding wings and no scooting, there is your evidence Alison :lol:   I would stick with what my own eyes are telling me :lol:  :lol:

This however is only my humble opinion :lol:

Linda and Jess                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline PennyB

Chicken wings
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2004, 11:08:34 AM »
The vet was probably also talking about cooked chicken or at least even from another part of the body other than the wing.

My only worry at the moment is that one of them is also now passing mucus occasionally as well, which they didn't do before.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

scoobie

Chicken wings
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2004, 11:15:27 AM »
Hi Alison without getting into a raw feeding debate versus non raw feeding I toally agree with Linda - RAW chicken wings are soft and digestible and of course to many will cause constipation I feed veggie with diet and also give flax oil which will help to loosen stools along with the oil from sardines and tuna fish which he also has. My dog doesn't scoot and will never go back to commercial dog food. Like Linda so rightly said about the vets they would put their lively hood at risk because our dogs wouldn't need to visit them so often due to the fact they are healthier dogs through eating exactly what we raw feeders  know what we are putting into our dogs systems. Big rock hard marrow bone could well be a problem if your dog could actually bite through the bone and actually swallow it! I am not aiming this directly at you alison, I just feel very strongly about this subject and nothing will deter me from not feeding chicken wings
Edith and scoobie                    

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2004, 11:35:10 AM »
Hi Penny, when I first started feeding raw chick wings, Jess passed some mucous.  I went on another forum and asked the experienced raw feeders there about it and they said it was perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. :lol:   Its simply mucus in the gut being expelled with the surge of digestive juices needed to digest the chick wings.  If you continue to feed wings every day, it will pass, its simply the gut adjusting to something different :lol:  :lol:

HTH                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2004, 01:02:57 PM »
Edith I totally agree :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Karen

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2004, 03:58:35 PM »
Sorry, I've not been on here for a while and am trying to catch up - just trying to get my head round this chicken wing debate - do you recommend feeding raw chicken wings a couple of times a week or something? I'm interested as the bit about scooting and not emptying anal glands is a big problem for one of my dogs. sorry to be behind and need everything explained!!!!! Ta  xx                    
Kazza, Blue, Tia & Ollie xxx

scoobie

Chicken wings
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2004, 05:02:05 PM »
Hi Karen
some of us feed totally raw diets to our dogs and some feed commercial plus a few wings whatever.. the choice is yours and what is best for your dog and if you say one of your dogs isn't emptying his/her anal glands and scooting, those of us who feed raw swear that chicken wings (or necks) does help with this problem, but Karen I would advise that you read about this as there are conflicting opinions on this subject.
Have your dogs ever tried a raw chicken wing? I can honestly tell you once they get the hang of eating them properly (as mine ate his first one that fast that it came back up the same way it went in) they will crunch them to bits and come back looking at you for another one and another one but you will have to draw the line at how many they can have otherwise they will become constipated. It's all a matter of fine tuning and if your feeding commercial and then giving the odd wing I am not sure how much you will need to reduce his food by ? that's if you do need to reduce it ? don't feel as if I am making myself very clear I'm sure Linda will give you some further advice or one of the other raw feeders
Good Luck whatever you decide
Edith and scoobie                    

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2004, 05:14:44 PM »
Hi karen
I would read the thread started on the health forum titled 'blocked anal gland' started by Alison :lol:  :lol:   This should make things a little clearer :lol:  :lol:

HTH                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx