Author Topic: Chicken wings  (Read 5880 times)

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Chicken wings
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2004, 11:54:28 AM »
Hi,
I give Penny chicken wings and feed raw meat and have done all her life. This is the first dog that has ever followed a natural diet, but after reading a book I was inspired to try it. I was concerned about raw meat feeding at first especially when even the Vet didn't seem too enthusiastic. I only feed chicken wings once or twice a week and usually after a meat meal, as the bones do give her constipation. To compensate I cover all meat and bones with a mixture of wheatmeal chopped herbs, grated veg and carrots,oil, bran and sometimes a raw egg ( the idea of this is that in the wild the dog would gorge itself on the contents of its preys stomach and vital organs so this is artifically added to the diet. I also feed raw organs once or twice a week. The meat I use is usually chicken, turkey, lamb, rabbit or other game. I don't use mince I cut the meat up into large chunks to keep her more active.                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

scoobie

Chicken wings
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2004, 11:55:54 AM »
Hi Alan/ Cathy/ Jazz
don't despair about the wing! It took a little while for scoobie to get used to them and he was 4 years old and was used to commercial food so I perservered until he got used to them and the rest is history.
When he eventually ate his first wing he gulped it and brought the wing back up the same way it went in but if it's something that you really feel you want to do then it's worth persuing if not and you have gone off the idea then leave it until you feel your ready
Edith                    

scoobie

Chicken wings
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2004, 12:12:43 PM »
Hi bluegirl nice to meet another raw cocker feeder there is few of us on here :lol:
Edith                    

Offline PennyB

Chicken wings
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2004, 12:47:04 PM »
Hi bluegirl, mine used get constipation with chicken wings but mine also eat raw carrots everyday which balances this effect quite nicely as the carrots act as roughage.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Chicken wings
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2004, 09:27:54 PM »
Hi PennyB,
My old dog would eat raw carrots willingly especially if they where freshly stolen off one of the rabbits, but despite Penny being on a natural diet she'll only take them if they are grated into her food. The constipation isn't a big problem though because I don't give the wings every day and I use the wheatgerm and bran which is natural roughage for her.

Hi Edith,
Thanks for the support about natural feeding.

From Karen                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Chicken wings
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2004, 12:44:14 PM »
I am quite surprised :shock: that it seems ok to feed chicken bones to dogs! I always thought it was dangerous :?  I'm still too chicken hehe!! to feed it to my dogs. Maybe i'm in a minority I don't know, i'm just to scared

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2004, 04:58:26 PM »
I am quite surprised :shock: that it seems ok to feed chicken bones to dogs! I always thought it was dangerous :?  I'm still too chicken hehe!! to feed it to my dogs. Maybe i'm in a minority I don't know, i'm just to scared

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Lizzy, it is when the chicken is cooked that you must NEVER give bones.
A lot of people do have reservations and as already agreed is something you can only do if/when you feel good and ready :D                    

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Chicken wings
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2004, 05:04:14 PM »
Thanks Michele, I didn't realize that! :oops:  Still don't fancy though! What with no chicken wings and now no grapes my two will be leaving home! :wink:

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie