Author Topic: Bad Owners GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Bad Owners GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
« on: May 14, 2004, 09:56:46 PM »
Today I took Candy on to the Downs.  She was doing her normal thing running around and looking really cute (of course  :wink: ) when this red working cocker came hurtling towards her.  I wasn't worried in the least.  They were playing and just generally being dogs as far as I could see.  I then heard the owner yelling his head off so rather than continuing to walk,  I held Candy's collar and waited so that he could get his dog back.  When he got to me, he grabbed the dog by its collar, lifted the dog above his head and shook him like mad.  He then dashed him to the ground, hit him and then slapped his face over and over again.  All the while he was really, really shouting at him.   This happened about 2.5 hours ago but as I am typing my hands are still shaking with both rage and shock.  :x  :shock:

I wouldn't normally do this but I was just so mad I went over to him demanded to know what on earth he was doing.  I told him he had to stop hitting the dog right now and calm down.  The dog whose name I later found out was Rusty was shaking.  I asked him why on earth he thought it would achieve anything by getting so angry and violent towards the dog.  He replied that Rusty never comes when he's called.  I said it's no wonder if he knows that he's going to get a good hiding!

His wife came up and said that they were at their wits end.  Rusty is 1, and is like no other dog they have ever had.  She acknowledged that her husband getting angry probably doesn't help but they are really frustrated.  They rarely let him off the lead and because he won't come back and then she said that if he's off the lead and sees another dog he gets really excited and runs away to play with it.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that normal?

Rusty had run off again and was playing with Candy and the husband said 'Look, see he's gone off again.  Can you see what I mean about him.  He just doesn't stay'  I said what's the problem, he's just playing.  He then challenged me to get the dog back.  So I called RUSTY RUSTY COME and started waving my arms around.  Well to my surprise, Rusty came running over straight to me.  I made a real fuss of him and told him he was a good boy and have him a treat.  Don't get me wrong, I know that it was more luck than skill but it did make me feel good that he came when he was called.  :D   In all of this Candy was behaving impeccably (thank goodness) and he said why can't Rusty be like her.  I told him that all dogs (particularly Cockers) have their moments but it takes lots of hard work and patience but for heavens sake please don't beat him.

I went through all the things I've learned from COL about recall and they said they would try but I'm not sure.   :roll:  I just wish I could get the image of him losing it with Rusty out of my head.  :cry:

The wife said it's the husband that needs training not the dog.  I had to agree and I almost said that a course in anger management wouldn't go amiss either but I managed to stop myself just in time!!

Loraine  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 10:01:44 PM »
Thats absolutely terrible Loraine :shock:  Poor poor dog :cry:  He must be terrified of the owner. I don't think I'd have been able to just stand by either if I'd seen that. Big well done to you for trying to educate the fool :evil:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 10:23:19 PM »
What a maniac!! The thing that worries me about people like that is, if they are capable of doing that to a dog in public, he probably gets treated even worse at home.  People like that should never be allowed to own dogs.  I'm surprised they've had the dog this long without someone reporting them.  Here's hoping that what you said made him take a long hard look at himself.  Well done you, for having the guts to challenge him shame his wife wasn't brave enough to do the same  :wink:  :?                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 11:25:50 PM »
Hi Lorraine,
I posted on dogpages a while back about witnessing a similar thing with a man and his boxer. He was also abusive towards me.  Sadly some people are bullies and think that smacking a dog will enforce good behaviour  :(  It doesn't work. I just don't understand the logic behind it. I've never smacked my children or dogs and they are all fairly well-behaved.
Recall training is pointless if the dog is punished for not coming back. The dog needs to be treated and praised for coming back even if it takes them a while  :roll:  Some people are not fit to own pets.                    

Offline T

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 11:29:56 PM »
:shock: Wow! Wot a bad experince for you ... But Go Girl!! ... and that poor poor dog! Another wish for "hope" in that this man changes his ways!                    
Charlie-Spud 'ere, oh and this little fella Frisbee!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 12:04:01 AM »
What a nasty so and so :x                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 12:04:19 AM »
Good for you Loraine, you should be proud of yourself and clever Candy for being a good girl at the right time
 Perhaps seeing that Rusty will respond to encouragement and a kind word, the wife might have the guts to do something about this big bully ( I doubt it tho) :cry:

One thing I don't understand about people like that, is them moaning about the dog running off again. What IS the point of an off lead walk, if not for the dog to have a good run                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 12:18:52 AM »
Well done Lorraine for sticking up for poor Rusty, hopefully some of what you told him will have sank in :wink:                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2004, 01:09:09 AM »
What an awful experience for you and that poor little dog - well done for your efforts!
I wonder what sort of dogs he had before that were so perfect....                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2004, 07:33:09 AM »
What a horrid ignorant man - if he behaves like that in public I can only imagine how he must be at home

Poor Rusty having a dad like that :cry:                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2004, 09:07:59 AM »
Poor litlle Rusty :cry: some people expect animals to be able to understand like humans ( and in a lot of cases they understand a lot better but dogs should'nt be hit and screamed at like that it just makes so sad, with training from a pup, consistancy and lots of love and patience episode's like these need'nt occur!

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2004, 09:25:29 AM »
Well done Lorraine,  :D how brave of you to intervene. That poor boy  :(

It makes so me so mad when i hear stories like this.    What a big bully, i know what i'de like to do to him        It realy upsets me to think  of how he is being treated at home, if he does that in public.
I'm just so glad you were able to show him the correct way to do a recall.
Hopefully his wife might take that on board.

Lorraine your an                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

scoobie

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2004, 11:18:59 AM »
Lorraine your a star
and that man and his mrs who did absolutely nothing to protect rusty ...well words just fail me
Edith and scoobie xxx                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2004, 03:31:13 PM »
Well done Loraine, maybe your talking too will be just what the man needed sometimes  it needs somebody from the outside to see whats what, If you see him again try and recomend a training class.

We see a lady nearly everday who throttles her dog lifting her up of the ground by the collar because her dog doesnt like dogs I have tried to explain that the poor dog now associated other dogs with being throttled but she just looked at me :shock:

Michelle                    

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2004, 08:24:02 PM »
Well done!  :lol:  I would have done exactly the same thing.

People forget that dogs are animals and not humans. If Billy comes back to me he gets a really big"goodboy" and a treat. If he doesnt come back and i have to go and get him he gets nothing. I dont tell him off because he wont know what i am telling him off for.

rusty Poor thing  :oops: