Author Topic: Ticks again  (Read 6984 times)

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Ticks again
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2004, 05:25:57 PM »
I was putting some body lotion on this morning when I saw a tiny black something sticking out my leg - I pulled it with some tweezers - it was the head of a tick! :shock:  Haven't a clue what happened to its body :?  So glad I didn't see the whole thing stuck to my thigh - I would have freaked out!!

Emma and Pickle - must've been a souvenir of our walk yesterday  :cry: - maybe I need some pink wellies! 8) (put my black ones to shame)!                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Ticks again
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 05:35:28 PM »
:evil:  :evil:  :evil: YUK!!!                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Ticks again
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2004, 08:30:57 PM »
Emma, I don't know if this info is any use to you but I just wanted to say that when I was down in Auchterader last year, Chloe (and every other dog for miles) suffered from Berry Bugs or Harvest Mite as they may also be called.  I didn't realise until I noticed she was chewing at every foot.  When I looked in the toes, it was an orangey red colour and if you looked real hard, you could just about see the things moving but they are sooo small..  I asked a friend of mine who trains gundogs in that area and he told me the problem.  Now Chloe was already using Frontline but my vet told me that only Stronghold has any effect on Harvest Mites.  Don't know how true that is but it did get rid of them.  I recall reading that Frontline spray works but not the spot on the neck type.  I didn't know what a Harvest Mite was until then :?  :?  Apparently they get them from walking in certain kinds of vegetation where the little beggars lie in wait for the first warm blooded thing to come along and that includes humans :shock:   They are not hard to get rid of but although Chloe didn't, some dogs can have a reaction to the bites.  Don't know what was special about that year, we live in Scotland and holiday in Perthshire 2 or 3 times a year and the mites have only struck once.  Just to let you know tho.....                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Ticks again
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2004, 09:44:11 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly with you here Sheryl :wink:  Harvet Mite's/Berry Bug but I found them quite difficult to get rid of  :x  Butty had them last year not only on her feet but on her nose to  :( I used Benzyl Benzoate and this seemed to do the trick  :wink: I think they were rife in Scotland last year  :?  hope that isn't the case this year  :shock:                    

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
Ticks again
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2004, 10:35:36 PM »
All this talk of beasties is giving me the heebie jeebies!!!
Ticks are the most revolting things, and should definitely be avoided at all costs. Me, hubbie and Pickle will be on a heavily doused garlic diet from now on if it keeps the blighters off!
Laura, you poor thing finding that on your leg :shock: , I'd have probably passed out! I think we'll have to wear waders next time, never mind wellies!
Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Ticks again
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2004, 10:36:10 AM »
Emma I am just so grateful that I didn't know what it was while it was still in my leg - and even more grateful that is had no body attached!!  I've told Brogan - I keep the pets in this house - he's not allowed any!!

Can you get waders in pink Emma? :lol:  

Do ticks crawl up you then?  I was wearing trousers.  There were a few children that returned from the school picnic at Tentsmuir with ticks attached to them last week. Horrible little blighters!                    
Laura x

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Ticks again
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2004, 06:49:59 PM »
What did I say about Brogan bringing pets home?............well, he didn't listen - yep he has a tick stuck on his shoulderblades.    He was only treated 12 days ago with a spot on.  This tiny brown one will not let up -  'orrible little thing - is still holding on for dear life!!  Brogan and I need bells for our necks :cry:

Stocking up with Frontline tomorrow - a bucket of the stuff!!  Am off to try and remove this one again - am dreading the full body check!                    
Laura x

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
Ticks again
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2004, 09:12:50 PM »
Oh Laura, what a nightmare! Ticks are just toooooo revolting! Sending you lots of brave vibes, to deal with the horror!
We took Pickle up to see our new house today in Perthshire - the garden is a jungle, which he loved, but since we got back I've been pulling all sorts of bit of grasses/seed things and wee beasties out of his ears.
Guess that's just one of the joys of summer  :wink:
Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Ticks again
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2004, 11:03:46 AM »
:D We got back from the highlands yesterday and no ticks :D  :D  but at least I have a few ideas for our next trip!  

Thank you 8)                    

Offline Mightyjoe

• Site Member
    • http://www.byphotos.com/album/780383
Ticks again
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2004, 12:32:31 PM »
we are off to the highlands in October with Oscar for a week, I there anything i should be doing before we go and also when we get back??  :roll:                    
David, Sharon & Oscar

Oscar Pics    Oscar in Scotland

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Ticks again
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2004, 01:58:47 PM »
we are off to the highlands in October with Oscar for a week, I there anything i should be doing before we go and also when we get back??  :roll:

Where abouts are you going?  Dog wise you do have to be careful there are lots of free animals in the highlands, sheep, cows, deer etc we didn't let Indie off the lead, just in case :wink:   From a human point of view, midgies are a NIGHTMARE so make sure you take some cream with you!                    

Offline Mightyjoe

• Site Member
    • http://www.byphotos.com/album/780383
Ticks again
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2004, 03:08:39 PM »
The cottage is in  Fodderty, By Strathpeffer, Ross-shire.

http://www.hoseasons.co.uk/holidays/ukcott.../A898.asp?S4199                    
David, Sharon & Oscar

Oscar Pics    Oscar in Scotland

Offline gc

• Site Member
    • http://
Ticks again
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2004, 02:11:06 PM »
I use the Frontline ampule (but I saw that the spray is rather more effective) all year around and, during the hot months (April to October), I also use the Scalibor colar.  Plus citronella spray (and some spots of Autan..only on the body-colar so that she can't lick it accidentally) when we go on vacations in places with mosquitos problem.

I tried another spot-on-dog something product 2 years ago, but it wasn't effective on the European tick. Only for the American one... though it was *superb* for fleas...

George.                    
George.
The truth is out there..... and a cocker can easily find it ;-)

scoobie

Ticks again
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2004, 10:20:30 AM »
I was brushing scoobie last night and noticed something attached inside his ear and thought at first it was a wart and on closer inspection realised it was a tick :( I covered it in vaseline and left it overnight and when I looked at it this morning it was still attached and because of where the nasty tick was right beside where scoobie had his ear op last year and because of this he is very wary and suspicious of me even brushing that area I took him to the vet and she pulled it out scoobie was very good but I know he wouldn't have been so good with me trying to pull the thing out :wink: it cost me £14 and then she said she was going to give him an antibiotic shot just to stop any infection that may be there I told her thanks but no thanks as I didn't feel this to be necessary if he does show any signs of becoming ill from this experience I will see my homeopathic vet and ask her for something ..I am interested to find out if anyone elses dog became infected from ticks and needed antiobiotics after removal?
Edith                    

Offline gc

• Site Member
    • http://
Ticks again
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2004, 11:02:42 AM »
I am interested to find out if anyone elses dog became infected from ticks and needed antiobiotics after removal?
Edith

In my case an apply of some antiseptic was enough. I was also kept an eye on her for a couple of weeks to see anything weird, but luckily enough... no problem :).
The tick was dead just before penetrating the body. It was kinda attached though :( , but not in.

In Greece we've had a few cases of erlechiosis (spelled right?), which is a severe illness (tranferred from contaminated ticks) and may be fatal if not promptly treated. But this is only down here I guess and kinda rare too.

If you see any change of scoobie's mood, sore on the bite etc, ask your vet again.

George.                    
George.
The truth is out there..... and a cocker can easily find it ;-)