Author Topic: how to stop pups wetting the bed?  (Read 2441 times)

Offline josiek

• Site Member
how to stop pups wetting the bed?
« on: August 11, 2004, 11:18:34 AM »
[This is slightly off cocker topic but I'm hoping someone has a solution]

Hi, we've just got 2 pups, a cocker called Bailey and a beagle called Flash.  Bailey's been fine with toilet training and flash mostly is, but he has a tendency to wet the bed.  It's really hard to catch him as he does it lying down (wetting his tummy too in the process - yuck) and I realise that he won't really understand if we shout at him afterwards.  A friend said to rub his nose in it but I really don't want to do that.  My mum reckons he'll just grow out of it, but we're getting really frustrated with having to wash the bed all the time - we've even got 2 now so that when one's in the wash, the other is there for sleeping on!

does anyone have any ideas on how to get him to stop?                    

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 11:51:29 AM »
You are right, shouting at a pup after the event just upsets and confuses them, Rubbing their noses in it is cruel and not recommended, I myself cant see what it's supposed to teach them other then to be scared :(
Myself, Im off the school of thought that accidents in the house are just cleaned up with no fuss and business outside is praised to the hilt. They soon learn outside is the best :)

Flash is only what - 10 weeks old? Being dry through the night is a tall order at that age. I would suggest on taking him out at night before bed untill he does something and praise him silly when hes proformed. Also it may be helpfull for the last person to go to bed to wake him and take him out again. Alfie is 11 weeks and cant go through the night ( he tends to drop off to sleep around 9.30 ) but he's crated in our bedroom and soon wakes us when he needs out and so far we have had no wet beds.

And your mum is right - they soon grow out of it :)

Caroline and Alfie                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 12:04:43 PM »
It can take a while with some pups especially when you have two to train so I wouldn't expect miracles just yet. Some can take longer than others though but get there eventually.

I'd agree with suki praise them for doing something good and just get on with the mess without any fuss. Am afraid its just a case of clearing up and getting on with it and may be not providing access to water overnight if it helps.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Becky

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 12:34:36 PM »
Is Flash paper trained?  Ollie can't go through the night but he wakes up and goes on newspaper that we leave down for him at night.  As he sleeps with us, I hear him and can clean up after him, but it could still work if Flash and Bailey sleep elsewhere.  I have been told though that a paper trained dog takes longer to be completely clean, as they are "allowed" to go inside.  Danny took months to be clean, but he's great now, so I wouldn't worry too much.                    
Love Becky, Danny and Ollie!

Offline josiek

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 01:01:30 PM »
Flash is actually pretty good during the night and will get up to go on the paper.  His accidents occur during the day, often after he's just been outside and come in for a rest, which is why it's so frustrating.  I think he's just excited after playing.  I also think that where he came from, him and his siblings were kept in a pen with paper as part of their bed area, so he's probably just used to having himself cleaned up after.

I think we'll just have to try and increase the praise when he goes outside and perhaps ignore him when he's just wet himself, so that he soon realises outside is best!                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 04:06:09 PM »
Make sure you wash the bedding in biological soap powder just to make sure the smell has gone and also wipe the pen/bed with this so he doesn't associate this with going to the loo                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 04:17:11 PM »
I think he's just excited after playing.  

That's one of my golden rules for knowing when a pup needs to do a wee - even if they don't know themselves  :wink:  After a bout of excitable play, after waking up from a sleep, a short while after having eaten or had a drink... automatically take them Flash out and repeat the toilet command-phrase you're going to stick with, don't let him back in the house until he's done it and you've praised him so he knows he's done well  :D                    

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 05:58:24 PM »
Hi

Rusty used to wet his bed blanket and all, I used to wonder too why he would be all wet on his belly. :( I think his bladder was still maturing he was around 10 weeks when this was happening about every second night.
I think he was sleeping when it happened then realised, then would howl till we went down and changed his bedding, it lasted for maybe a fortnight then things got better, he is now 4 months this saturday and I would say that he is toilet trained we do not put newspapers down anymore, he scrapes the door during the night to tell us that he wants out which is a bit of a pain but it beats clearing up a mess and you can't have it everyway, even during the day when we are out he is always dry. :D  :D  :D

But I'm quite sure it is still possible for him to have an accident. :)  :)
Hope this helps

Elle & Rusty  :)  :)                    

Offline bunny

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 03:33:48 PM »
mine are about 8 and a half weeks now, eddie and barnaby, and they still are cadged, most of the time, apart from play time, feeding time, and obviously cuddle time, i open the cage, and say come on then, in a high pitched tone, and they follow me through the house and outside, no problems, and its going lovely, i never have laid newspaper, also at night there last drink is approx 9.00pm, and we take them up to bed after a nap, and outside to toilet at about 11.30, sometimes earlier, and they are both dry all night until 7.30am, they sleep in our bedroom alongside elmo, who is also clean at 10months old. when they are put in a cage they learn to hold for longer periods, and they have a natural instinct to keep the "nest" clean, so to begin with i feel the cage is the best method, hope this helps somehow. you will get there in the end. :wink:                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 03:39:05 PM »
Crating is fine (I'm a great fan) as long as its not all the time and never used for punishment.

Pups will have mishaps along the way even when we think they're housetrained. I think some aren't completely dry until at least 6 months old (it took longer for Ruby than Wilf). While we try our hardest to get there our pups sometimes have other ideas just to keep us on our toes.                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline bunny

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 03:45:42 PM »
Crating is fine (I'm a great fan) as long as its not all the time and never used for punishment.

Pups will have mishaps along the way even when we think they're housetrained. I think some aren't completely dry until at least 6 months old (it took longer for Ruby than Wilf). While we try our hardest to get there our pups sometimes have other ideas just to keep us on our toes.

i totally agree, and its just like kids, some learn quicker with the potty than others, but they all get there, just go with the flow,parden the pun :lol:  tips and advice can help ,but relax and enjoy them.                    

Offline Becky

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 03:45:44 PM »
Danny was about nine months before he was completely trustworthy.  I think partly because he was our first dog and so we were very inexperienced :?  and also because he came in a very rainy November and was reluctant to go outside in the wet garden.  (He is now a big fan of the rain and any other water he can get near to :D .)                    
Love Becky, Danny and Ollie!

Offline taniac

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 04:44:58 PM »
Neo was never completely trustworthy until he started marking his territory.. now he wants to save it all for our walks!                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)