Author Topic: Out Without Injections!  (Read 2679 times)

Offline lorri

• Site Member
Out Without Injections!
« on: August 23, 2004, 11:35:06 PM »
Hi everybody

Was at the park today with Jarvis and my mum and son when we met a family with their 9 week old cocker. I stopped to talk to them asking and have a little cuddle. i couldn't believe it when she explained that he was 9 weeks they had just picked him up from the breeders and were walking him in a park on a warm day with loads of other dogs around!!! :angry: What is wron with these people. I'm not normally one for confrontation i thought that maybe they didnt realise that they shouldn't have him out walking in the park without his injection ;)  But the lady started getting really annoyed when i pointed this out saying that her daaughter was really excited and what harm could it do. Talk about teaching your kids to be responsible and patient. Anyway i began to get a little peeved off and eventually walked off after the woman told me it was fine and i wasn't an expert. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  My goodness never ever said i was!! Oh im still reeling poor little thing not only will he be exhausted and frightned but his health is at risk.

Anyway now thats off my chest ..does anybody have ideas to help get rid of Jarvis itchy dry skin other than the shampoo the vet gave me that you have to leave on for 15 mins..total nightmare!!!

Lorraine and Jarvis

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Out Without Injections!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 08:17:10 AM »
Makes you wonder where on earth they got the pup from as well as surely any breeder worth their salt would ensure that new owners knew what they were doing.

And of course it will be the pup that suffers come the end :(

Good for you for saying what you thought, just sorry to hear it fell on deaf ears.
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Out Without Injections!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 08:50:45 AM »
If thats there attitude.     :angry:  It won't be long before that little fella is sold on to someone else. once he starts nipping and chewing. How sad.  :(  
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline PennyB

Out Without Injections!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 10:46:27 AM »
We had a huge parvo problem in this part of Cardiff last summer because of people like this and dogs did die!

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Out Without Injections!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 10:51:14 AM »
How sad for that little pup :( .  And how infuriating are people who do such things :angry: .  You can completely understand a childs excitement on getting a beautiful puppy, mine were the same, but the mother should definately show more responsibility.  After all it's not a toy.  Fingers crossed the little one will be ok.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Out Without Injections!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 10:51:17 AM »
Well done for saying something, it makes me so MAD when people have these attitudes, the poor little pup did'nt asked to be bought by them, the least that they can do is protect him from disease and make sure he's properly vacccinated.

:angry: Lizzy Molly and Evie

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Out Without Injections!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 11:17:53 AM »
Wonder if she hauled her children round the shops as soon as she got them home from hospital too. Some folk have no sense. She doesn't deserve to have a wee puppy - makes me mad!!

Offline PennyB

Out Without Injections!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 11:25:09 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me though if the pup wasn't from a puppy farm or backyard breeder a soften people buy from those as they're easily available when they want one NOW and then no doubt throw them away later!
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
Out Without Injections!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 02:42:14 PM »
I'm horrified by your story but dead proud of you for speaking up!  I'm one of those people who really want to say something at the time but can't find the right words and end up walking away and THEN thinking of all the things I SHOULD have said!!

I'm convinced this puppy didn't come from a decent breeder - I agree, probably a puppy farm.  But it doesn't make it any easier when the puppy could suffer.  Doubtful whether he will stay in that family very long - if they can't even get the basics right, what hope for the future?  We all know it's hard work and that's if you do it properly!!!!
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Out Without Injections!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 06:21:01 PM »
Like you say, what sort of example is she setting to her child  :angry: Glad you had the guts to say something!!  :)

What shampoo have you got?  Ihad a shampoo for Morgan when he had a couple of dry patches as a pup and I didn't have to leave it on, just use as normal and rinse.  It was called Malaseb and only took about a week for the thing to clear  :)  
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Out Without Injections!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 11:25:48 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me though if the pup wasn't from a puppy farm or backyard breeder a soften people buy from those as they're easily available when they want one NOW and then no doubt throw them away later!
Some people don't know any better, though.....they buy the pups that are advertised; it is actually quite difficult to 'find' a reputable breeder, if you don't know how to start looking  :huh:

It is sad when puppies end up in inexperienced homes, as this one sounded like; and a shame the new owners were not prepared to listen. I suspect that commenting on someones way of treating their dog is almost as bad as criticising how they raise children (or in the case of men, how they drive  ;) ) - it brings out the defensive side of people.

Well done for trying, it must have been so frustrating, and let hope the pup is OK and the new owners don't have any more unrealisitc expectations!
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline darcy_dog

• Site Member
Out Without Injections!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 01:23:54 PM »
that poor puppy.
I hope hes ok.  
I'm only a kid but i understand that puppies shouldnt be taken out until properly vaccinated.  
  :o      
good on you for  speaking out.
Makes you so mad owners like that :angry:  

Offline dillydolly

• Site Member
Out Without Injections!
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 01:24:31 PM »
awwww poor little puppy  :(  it just goes to show how many people out there buy puppies and dont get them wormed , have there jabs etc...
The first thing we did was get on the phone to the vets to sort out zorro's jabs and he has his second lot next week but he gets plenty of fun running around in our garden but i have to say my neighbour bugs me about him she has never owned a cocker spaniel and she thinks she is an expert she told me that the way to get rid of parvo was to pour water down a dogs throat and that pedigree dogs can only have brown bread and cross breeds can have both.  :angry:
  She really upset me , the other day i was in my garden and i was clicker training my puppy with his harness on he was having great fun playing with  lead with me as all puppies do  :rolleyes:  and she said ' oh you will find that the cocker spaniel doesnt play with thier leads like that ' and i said all puppies to some extent will play with something new to them but she wouldnt have it. This made me so angry that i came in and stopped my training session with zorro.  :angry:  GRRRRRR some people

dillydolly

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Out Without Injections!
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 03:43:59 PM »
The first thing we did was get on the phone to the vets to sort out zorro's jabs and he has his second lot next week but he gets plenty of fun running around in our garden but i have to say my neighbour bugs me about him she has never owned a cocker spaniel and she thinks she is an expert she told me that the way to get rid of parvo was to pour water down a dogs throat and that pedigree dogs can only have brown bread and cross breeds can have both. 
She really upset me , the other day i was in my garden and i was clicker training my puppy with his harness on he was having great fun playing with lead with me as all puppies do  and she said ' oh you will find that the cocker spaniel doesnt play with thier leads like that ' and i said all puppies to some extent will play with something new to them but she wouldnt have it. This made me so angry that i came in and stopped my training session with zorro.  GRRRRRR some people

Some people just think that they are right, whatever the occaision.  Silly woman doesn't even realise that she's completely ignorant about the subject.  When I had my second daughter an old woman told me that babies were blind until they were 3 months and shouldn't be allowed to sit up before they were a year old :lol:  :lol:.  It must be hard for you when she's obviously annoying you so much, but try to ignore her otherwise you'll get all stressed and Zorro will miss out on his training, and she is SO not worth that.  Easy for me to say because I'm not there  :rolleyes:  but good luck with it anyway.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Out Without Injections!
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 09:55:28 PM »
i have to say my neighbour bugs me about him she has never owned a cocker spaniel and she thinks she is an expert
At least your neighbour is still talking to you  :blink:

The first words out of my neighbours mouth when I told her we were getting a puppy was "if it yaps, I'll call the environmental health"  :huh:

I have since found out that her mother has a three yr old bitch from the same breeder, who was never left on its own til 9 months old - hence gets very stressed when alone. Oh yes, and last week she reported back to Molo's breeder that I was leaving him all day while I was out at work - which is totally untrue as I work flexi-time and he is never left for more than a couple of hours  :angry:

This sounds really frustrating; is there any way you can do some of Zorros training out and about once he's jabbed and can go out? I  have started to do this with Molo (we were on the beach thi evening learning to 'down'), as he is quite attentive and obedient in the garden, but when I took him to his first 'puppy class' it was a different matter - too many distractions!

BTW - whats the brown/white bread myth all about?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club