Author Topic: Spaying  (Read 3795 times)

Offline niv

• Site Member
Spaying
« on: September 07, 2004, 08:35:25 PM »
we have a female cocker, we have booked her in to be spayed in december,our vet says she do not have to have a season first what do cockers on line think?

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Spaying
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 08:48:23 PM »
Hi there,

If you haven't already had a look at our FAQ on neutering, you can check it out here.

Opinions will always differ on this one - even among vets ;)  Personally, I would let her have at least one season as per the reasons given on the FAQ. But ultimately, you have to decide whats best for you and your dog after weighing up the pros and cons
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

ziggy

Spaying
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 09:14:12 PM »
thanks gill,just read that as i am going to have mabel speyed,very helpful ;)

ziggy jasper and mabel xxx

Offline Sue and Rosie

• Site Member
Spaying
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 04:15:18 PM »
Hi, we are having Jess our spaniel spayed next week before her first season, so will let you know how it is for her.  Most people have said that we have to look out for weight gain and that she may get a wooly coat.  Sue and Rosie :)  

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Spaying
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 07:24:08 PM »
Hi,
My girl Jess was spayed at 6 months of age with no probs whatsoever.  She is now 14 months.  I don't know if her coat has changed much, I can't really tell because she was spayed young but she does go the groomers regularly.  As for putting on weight, I do kep a close eye on her and she gets a good 2hours a day at least free running.

Good luck for your Jess, its horrible leaving them at the vets, you feel so bad but its for the best in the long run.

Linda and Jess
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
    • http://janandnoel.com
Spaying
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 08:58:44 PM »
:o honey is going to the vets end of sept to be spayed , im dreading taking her we dont want to breed from her , im a bit bothered about taking her at the right time some say have a season first , vet say 6 mts is fine , one lady who walks her two yorkies near us has told me in no uncertain terms that it will do her good to be spayed and calm her down ............ because you know what cockers are like !!!! i tell you if only i was the font of all knowledge like a lot of these opinionated people are !!!! i wouldnt change hun for the world thanks is what she was told !! ;)

ruth & honey xx :D  

Offline TizzyWizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Spaying
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 09:21:06 PM »
We had Tizzy spayed at 6 months and she was just fine. We had no intention of breeding from her and so after talking it over with the vet and reading all the info available decided to do it asap. The hardest thing ever was to leave her in the vets knowing she was going in for an op but she just strolled in and didn't even turn around to look at me when they took her - I nearly cried.!  Anyway we picked her up the same day she was a bit dopey for a few hours and then it was as if she had nothing wrong with her. The hardest thing was to keep her calm for a week , no jumping up no good walks etc. We do feed her less as she did start to put on weight but her coat hasn,t changed at all . I wouldn,t say she is any calmer for having been spayed other than probably having grown out of the puppy stage by now.  Good luck with it and I'm sure your dog will be fine . Its a pity humans don't have the same recovery time as dogs !!

Offline PennyB

Spaying
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 11:35:20 PM »
Ruby bounced out the surgery the afternoon I picked her up after her op, then she slept for a few hours. Next morning she carried on bouncing. I found the worst thing is stopping them jumping up all the time
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Spaying
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 01:48:43 AM »
With larger breeds I would be more cautious as the risk of incontinence later in life can rise if large breed bitches are spayed too soon.
But I wouldn't worry about a smaller dog much. I know my vet advises they have a season first..but I think for most people it will go smoothly whenever they choose to do it so it's a matter of choice really.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Spaying
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 08:31:49 AM »
My friend had her bitch spayed before her 1st season and she was fine afterwards, she is now 5 yrs old and is still great.  
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
    • http://janandnoel.com
Spaying
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2004, 09:06:22 PM »
:unsure: feel a little better now after reading all your posts im probably just being a wuss , ive waited for hun for such a long time ( long story) im kinda overprotective with her , luv her to bits keep thinking someone is going to come and take her back , (sad) but

luv ruth & honey :P  

lynseyloo

Spaying
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2004, 09:21:48 PM »
I have never regretted having Jessie spayed, I did wait until after her first season, after taking advice on here, and then she had a phantom, which delayed her op further  :rolleyes:  however her recovery was plagued with problems, as she turned out to be allergic to the stiches they used.. name of which escapes me right now... vicrin?? vicryl?? something like that.. ;) so I cant say she bounced back..she was quite poorly bless her.  However, all is well now..  ;) she just cant ever have those stitches again  :rolleyes:  

Offline Sue and Rosie

• Site Member
Spaying
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 03:51:58 PM »
Jess, was spayed last Friday and was very groggy for a day or so.  She did pick at her dressing quite a bit so in the end we took it off after 2 days and put a baby t shirt on her which stopped her getting at the stitches and also made her look very cute!!  It is now nearly a week later and we are off the vet on Monday to have the stitches out.  We had to keep her on lead in the garden for 2 days to do her wees etc and also only lead walk her for about 20mins a day.  Actually that has been the hardest for her and me.  We are used to walking off lead for about an hour and more a day.  Her legs already look a bit fluffier but that could be my imagination, so all in all she is fine and we are glad we have had it done.  Good luck for your dog in December and Honey also at the end of this month.  

Sue and Rosie :P  

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Spaying
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 05:16:12 PM »
I have 2 boys, and they are both intact.  I was told from two groomers and the breeder that having them done would change their coats and make them harder to keep at a good weight..

It's weird tho' because I don't want to breed (I leave that to you experts out there.. I'd want to keep the lot) and when I first got Neo my intention was to whip them off ASAP.

I must say I do get funny comments from people who think they should both be neutered and it's always a battle at the vets to maintain I want them as they are!  The only problem I have is with bitches in season Neo particularly fond of our friends German Short Haired Pointer, and if she's been walked before us, then he runs off to track her scent  :(  ....Apart from that he also is very passionate about black labs no matter if they're in season or not!
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Spaying
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 05:51:40 PM »
With larger breeds I would be more cautious as the risk of incontinence later in life can rise if large breed bitches are spayed too soon.
But I wouldn't worry about a smaller dog much.
It's not just larger breeds, My Mother had one of my bitches when she was about 3 years old (she fought with my other girls, so it was best for to go & be the only dog) She had had 2 litters, after a little while my Mother decided to have her spayed, she recovered quite quickly, but always had a problem with incontinence, which had to be contolled, or helped with drugs.  :(
She's not with us anymore & the incontinence was a problem for the rest of her life.  :(

Having said all that, she has another of my bitches (had this one from a baby)
she has also been spayed, she is now 4 years old & has had no probs, touch wood. :)

www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.